Visual C++ Runtime error while registering a DLL!

Discussion in 'C++' started by Mike Wahler, Aug 12, 2003.

  1. Mike Wahler

    Mike Wahler Guest

    Re: [OT] Visual C++ Runtime error while registering a DLL!

    Rao Kachibhotla <> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > I have a Deskband project that builds a DLL. When I
    > register the DLL, I get the usual success dialog, but i
    > also get "Visual C++ RunTime error" that says "This
    > application has requested the Runtime to terminate in an
    > unusual way. Please request product support for this
    > application."
    >
    > I noticed that DLL has unloaded at this point. Also, my
    > DLLRegisterServer is wizard generated and didn't add any
    > code to it.
    >
    > Any ideas?

    Yes. Read the message again. Particularly the part that
    says: "Please request product support for this application."

    This has nothing to do with C++.

    -Mike

    Rao Kachibhotla, Aug 12, 2003

  3. "Rao Kachibhotla" <> wrote...
    > I have a Deskband project that builds a DLL. When I
    > register the DLL, I get the usual success dialog, but i
    > also get "Visual C++ RunTime error" that says "This
    > application has requested the Runtime to terminate in an
    > unusual way. Please request product support for this
    > application."
    >
    > I noticed that DLL has unloaded at this point. Also, my
    > DLLRegisterServer is wizard generated and didn't add any
    > code to it.
    >
    > Any ideas?

    When there is a run-time message like the one you are
    getting, it is likely there is an error in the code. It
    is impossible to tell the reason without seeing the code,
    as you probably realise. If the code is ridden with MS-
    specific stuff and you're somehow mis-using it, you may
    want to post to a Windows-specific newsgroup, where DLLs
    and stuff pertaining to their initialisation is on topic.

    If you think that your code may have an error that has
    nothing to do with mis-using MS Windows API, post it here,
    we could try helping you locate that rogue pointer or
    memory overrun. But no guarantees, hope you understand...

    Victor

    Victor Bazarov, Aug 12, 2003
  4. Mike Wahler

    Noah Roberts Guest

    Mike Wahler wrote:
    > Rao Kachibhotla <> wrote in message
    >
    >>Hi,
    >>
    >>I have a Deskband project that builds a DLL. When I
    >>register the DLL, I get the usual success dialog, but i
    >>also get "Visual C++ RunTime error" that says "This
    >>application has requested the Runtime to terminate in an
    >>unusual way. Please request product support for this
    >>application."
    >>
    >>I noticed that DLL has unloaded at this point. Also, my
    >>DLLRegisterServer is wizard generated and didn't add any
    >>code to it.
    >>
    >>Any ideas?

    > Yes. Read the message again. Particularly the part that
    > says: "Please request product support for this application."

    Except in this case wouldn't he be attempting to get support from
    himself? :p If I understand correctly the error was generated by
    windows about his program so it might be rather pointless to ask for
    product support from the vendor of the application :p

    Of course that doesn't make the Q on topic but it is funny.

    NR

    Noah Roberts, Aug 12, 2003