Visual C++ Toolkit - .dsw compile?

Discussion in 'C++' started by Andreas Weller, Apr 22, 2004.

  1. Andreas Weller, Apr 22, 2004

  2. Andreas Weller

    Phlip Guest

    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...9D-40BB-49FD-9CB0-4BFA122FA91B&displaylang=en
    > I downloaded it for my friends - hoping they'd be able to compile C++
    > projects on their own (no more asking me to compile something...)
    >
    > But the problem is: how could a .dsw or .dsp project be compiled using
    > these tools?

    It has been so long since I read that benighted Web site. Yuck!

    But did you "Start by familiarizing yourself with the included samples"?

    If they don't got dsp files, you are screwed.

    Ask on a Microsoft newsgroup whether NMAKE can take DSP files on its command
    line.

    Then turn your friends onto Ruby - it's all free, and very easy to install
    and such.

    BTW all the above is off-topic for this newsgroup, which discusses the C++
    language - statements, operators, standard library calls, etc. I know that
    sounds boring, but you should always post to the narrowest technical
    newsgroup possible for the best answer.

    --
    Phlip

    Phlip, Apr 22, 2004

  3. Andreas Weller wrote:

    > Hi!
    >
    > As there's the VC++ Toolkit 2003 available on
    > http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...9D-40BB-49FD-9CB0-4BFA122FA91B&displaylang=en
    > I downloaded it for my friends - hoping they'd be able to compile C++
    > projects on their own (no more asking me to compile something...)
    >
    > But the problem is: how could a .dsw or .dsp project be compiled using
    > these tools?

    As I understand it, this toolkit contains the command line versions
    of their compiler paired with the runtime libraries. DSW and DSP
    are things that deal with project management, the thing the IDE
    handles.

    MS is *selling* their compiler, so I would be very surprised if
    they gave away their complete development environment for free.

    But best ask in a MS devoted newsgroup.

    --
    Karl Heinz Buchegger

    Karl Heinz Buchegger, Apr 22, 2004
  4. Andreas Weller

    Mike Smith Guest

    Andreas Weller wrote:

    > Hi!
    >
    > As there's the VC++ Toolkit 2003 available on
    > http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...9D-40BB-49FD-9CB0-4BFA122FA91B&displaylang=en
    > I downloaded it for my friends - hoping they'd be able to compile C++
    > projects on their own (no more asking me to compile something...)
    >
    > But the problem is: how could a .dsw or .dsp project be compiled using
    > these tools?

    I would imagine you would need VC++6 in order to be able to open the DSP
    file and generate a makefile from it. You could then use an appropriate
    make tool to build the project using the downloaded command-line tools.

    --
    Mike Smith

    Mike Smith, Apr 22, 2004