Visual C++ Toolkit - .dsw compile?

Phlip

Andreas said:
As there's the VC++ Toolkit 2003 available on
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...9D-40BB-49FD-9CB0-4BFA122FA91B&displaylang=en
I downloaded it for my friends - hoping they'd be able to compile C++
projects on their own (no more asking me to compile something...)

But the problem is: how could a .dsw or .dsp project be compiled using
these tools?

It has been so long since I read that benighted Web site. Yuck!

But did you "Start by familiarizing yourself with the included samples"?

If they don't got dsp files, you are screwed.

Ask on a Microsoft newsgroup whether NMAKE can take DSP files on its command
line.

Then turn your friends onto Ruby - it's all free, and very easy to install
and such.

BTW all the above is off-topic for this newsgroup, which discusses the C++
language - statements, operators, standard library calls, etc. I know that
sounds boring, but you should always post to the narrowest technical
newsgroup possible for the best answer.

Karl Heinz Buchegger

Andreas said:
Hi!

As there's the VC++ Toolkit 2003 available on
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...9D-40BB-49FD-9CB0-4BFA122FA91B&displaylang=en
I downloaded it for my friends - hoping they'd be able to compile C++
projects on their own (no more asking me to compile something...)

But the problem is: how could a .dsw or .dsp project be compiled using
these tools?

As I understand it, this toolkit contains the command line versions
of their compiler paired with the runtime libraries. DSW and DSP
are things that deal with project management, the thing the IDE
handles.

MS is *selling* their compiler, so I would be very surprised if
they gave away their complete development environment for free.

But best ask in a MS devoted newsgroup.

Mike Smith

Andreas said:
Hi!

As there's the VC++ Toolkit 2003 available on
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...9D-40BB-49FD-9CB0-4BFA122FA91B&displaylang=en
I downloaded it for my friends - hoping they'd be able to compile C++
projects on their own (no more asking me to compile something...)

But the problem is: how could a .dsw or .dsp project be compiled using
these tools?

I would imagine you would need VC++6 in order to be able to open the DSP
file and generate a makefile from it. You could then use an appropriate
make tool to build the project using the downloaded command-line tools.