Visual design tools and DAL in VS 2005 / .NET 2.0

Paul Aspinall

Hi
I wrote quite a few apps with .NET 1.0 and 1.1, which made use of a Data
Access Layer, and also used the Microsoft Application Blocks for Data Access
(v2).

In VS 2005, there is a huge improvement in 'visually' designing the data
access, and binding it to the controls on the form.

I have 'played around' with the SqlDataSource component, which allows very
quick, easy and simple access to a SQL DB.
However, I have a couple of considerations, which I would like to get
opinions on....

1). If I want to use a common ConnectionString (ie. just have it coded in
one place), how can I bind each of my controls to this connection?? (ie. I
don't want to change 100's of controls if my connection string changes).

2). I want to keep in mind the 'Enterprise' way of doing things, via a DAL
or Business Layer.
Does anyone have any good source (C#), which shows the implementation of a
Front end, DAL, and the component bindings. This can be using SQL commands,
or Stored procedures, but I would appreciate details of Updates / Inserts
etc, as well as simple selects (so that I can see the impact on Table
Adapters etc).

Thanks in advance

Paul

Nicholas Paldino [.NET/C# MVP]

Paul,

See inline:
1). If I want to use a common ConnectionString (ie. just have it coded in
one place), how can I bind each of my controls to this connection?? (ie. I
don't want to change 100's of controls if my connection string changes).

Well, you could always load it and then store it in a static variable.
Then, you just access the static variable.

The preferred way though is to store it in the app config file. There
is a specific section for connection strings now. Since there is only one
app config file for an app, if you know the appropriate key, you can get the
connection string from any assembly.
2). I want to keep in mind the 'Enterprise' way of doing things, via a DAL
or Business Layer.
Does anyone have any good source (C#), which shows the implementation of a
Front end, DAL, and the component bindings. This can be using SQL
commands, or Stored procedures, but I would appreciate details of Updates
/ Inserts etc, as well as simple selects (so that I can see the impact on
Table Adapters etc).

That's a bit of a tall order. Basically, you are asking for the source
for a full enterprise application, which is no small task. At the core of
it though, you should create stored procedures to handle your
updates/deletes/inserts, as well as your queries. Then, you create your
data adapters, which will perform the necessary updates, and populate your
data sets.

Now, you can use an object layer, if you want, or use data sets for
transporting your data. Once you decide on that, you can easily bind that
to your UI.

Hope this helps.

Paul Aspinall

Thanks for the reply.

I'm not asking for code for a full enterprise application. As mentioned, I
have written Enterprise scale apps with 1.0, and 1.1, using a DAL, and they
scale well.
However, the IDE in VS2005 gives a lot more flexibility to put together a
design graphically.
I'm really looking for 'Best Practice' guides for creating a DAL, but
making use of the Graphical design functionality provided by the IDE in VS
2005, rather than doing it all in code, as I did in 1.0, & 1.1.

Does such a guide exist?? or are there any examples of doing this anywhere?

Thanks

Nicholas Paldino said:
Paul,

See inline: