    enlighten me ?
    Any help will be highly apprectiated.
    -Erland

    Erland, Sep 22, 2005

  2. Hi,

    the IDE's I know are:

    - FreeRIDE
    - RDE
    - Eclipse with Ruby Plugin

    hope that helps :)

    Michael

    Michael Ehehalt, Sep 22, 2005

  3. #: Erland changed the world a bit at a time by saying on 9/22/2005 8:16 AM :#
    > HI,
    > Are there any Visual IDEs available for windows platform ? Please
    > enlighten me ?
    > Any help will be highly apprectiated.
    > -Erland

    ArachnoRuby: excellent one; permanently growing. A new release should come soon! (Lothar hint hint
    ;-) - sorry for pushing this, but I am way too eager to see the new one)

    /alex
    --
    the_mindstorm.

    Alexandru Popescu, Sep 22, 2005
  4. Erland

    Guest

    Hi,
    Many thanks for your message. Which you would you prefer? :)
    Please do share your thought on this....I have browsed all three and in
    my opnion FreeRiDE is good. Anyways i would love to listen from you on
    this . Good Day!
    -Erland
    Michael Ehehalt wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > the IDE's I know are:
    >
    > - FreeRIDE
    > - RDE
    > - Eclipse with Ruby Plugin
    >
    > hope that helps :)
    >
    > Michael

    , Sep 22, 2005
  5. Hi Erland,

    I'm a newbie and checked the IDE's only for a few days. My prefer at this
    time is RDE, because it has the autocomplete functionality, what's very fine
    for newbie's ;-)

    But I will check ArachnoRuby (thanx to Alex). It looks very nice too.

    Michael

    Michael Ehehalt, Sep 22, 2005
  6. Erland

    Rob . Guest

    ------=_Part_4960_17862537.1127385281770

    Another one to try out is the Ruby Editor Plugin for jEdit (free under the
    GPL):
    http://www.jedit.org/ruby/
    Rob

    Rob ., Sep 22, 2005
  7. Erland

    Guest

    I'm learning Ruby because of Rails, and I use the Ruby plugin for JEdit
    and I really like it. The autoindent feature is great, and is the
    ability to invoke the Ruby documentation. It also has autocomplete for
    Ruby core library types (Object, String, XML, Hash etc), plus a
    structure browser.

    JEdit is nice because it has some really plugins that I use (XML,
    Diff), so except for Java (for which I use Eclipse), I can use JEdit
    for RHTML, Ruby, XML, HTML etc.

    The plugin can be downloaded from http://www.jedit.org/ruby/

    Erland wrote:
    > HI,
    > Are there any Visual IDEs available for windows platform ? Please
    > enlighten me ?
    > Any help will be highly apprectiated.
    > -Erland

    , Sep 22, 2005
  8. Hello Michael,

    ME> Hi,

    ME> the IDE's I know are:

    ME> - FreeRIDE
    ME> - RDE
    ME> - Eclipse with Ruby Plugin

    ME> hope that helps :)

    I don't think so, under Visual IDEs i understand the same as RAD
    Tools and there simply is no Ruby GUI Builder.

    There are some half ready workarounds like Glade and QTDesigner where
    you later can attach your code from the outside, but they are are
    definitely not IDE's as the 'I' is missing.

    Lothar Scholz http://www.ruby-ide.com

    Lothar Scholz, Sep 22, 2005
  9. Hi Lothar,

    if the "Visual" in the subject correspondend to GUI, then you are rigth and
    I should start my brain before I answer ... :)

    Your signature includes the link to the Arachno Ruby site. So I combine you
    are familar to this IDE. Has this IDE the possibility to build GUI's for:

    - Ruby TK
    - FxRuby
    - QTRuby
    - WxRuby

    The website from Arachno Ruby don't answer me these questions (or I have
    oversight this). :)

    Michael

    Michael Ehehalt, Sep 23, 2005
  10. Erland

    Richard Dale Guest

    Lothar Scholz wrote:

    > Hello Michael,
    >
    > ME> Hi,
    >
    > ME> the IDE's I know are:
    >
    > ME> - FreeRIDE
    > ME> - RDE
    > ME> - Eclipse with Ruby Plugin
    >
    > ME> hope that helps :)
    >
    > I don't think so, under Visual IDEs i understand the same as RAD
    > Tools and there simply is no Ruby GUI Builder.
    >
    > There are some half ready workarounds like Glade and QTDesigner where
    > you later can attach your code from the outside, but they are are
    > definitely not IDE's as the 'I' is missing.

    I wouldn't call Qt Designer a 'half ready workaround'. I certainly prefer
    the UI of the Qt4 version to the Qt3 one, but it is a perfectly useful
    tool.

    KDevelop 3.2.x and the forthcoming Eric3 3.8 have support for using Qt
    Designer with QtRuby/Korundum. You can either compile the .ui file to ruby
    code with the rbuic tool, or read the .ui file in at runtime using the
    'qui' extension with Qt::WidgetFactory. KDevelop has complete integration,
    with Qt Designer as a KPart component, while Eric3 starts the Qt Designer
    app when you click on a .ui file in the project.

    -- Richard

    Richard Dale, Sep 23, 2005
  11. Erland

    Curt Hibbs Guest

    On 9/23/05, Michael Ehehalt <> wrote:
    > Hi Lothar,
    >
    > if the "Visual" in the subject correspondend to GUI, then you are rigth a=

    nd
    > I should start my brain before I answer ... :)
    >
    > Your signature includes the link to the Arachno Ruby site. So I combine y=

    ou
    > are familar to this IDE.

    Lothar is the author of the Arachno Ruby IDE.

    Curt

    Curt Hibbs, Sep 23, 2005
  12. Hello Richard,

    RD> I wouldn't call Qt Designer a 'half ready workaround'. I certainly prefer
    RD> the UI of the Qt4 version to the Qt3 one, but it is a perfectly useful
    RD> tool.

    RD> KDevelop 3.2.x and the forthcoming Eric3 3.8 have support for using Qt
    RD> Designer with QtRuby/Korundum. You can either compile the .ui file to ruby
    RD> code with the rbuic tool, or read the .ui file in at runtime using the
    RD> 'qui' extension with Qt::WidgetFactory. KDevelop has complete integration,
    RD> with Qt Designer as a KPart component, while Eric3 starts the Qt Designer
    RD> app when you click on a .ui file in the project.

    It is still far from what people expect. There is IMHO no direct GUI <->
    Code interaction as for example Delphi or other tools offer (if i'm
    wrong here please correct me). Having QtDesigner embedded in the
    IDE window is not something that i would call "integrated". This word
    should describe the workflow and there you can find the problem.

    But i have a very special opinion here, for me even Apples IB is not
    integrated into XCode - in contrast to RealBasic.

    Lothar Scholz http://www.ruby-ide.com

    Lothar Scholz, Sep 23, 2005
  13. Hello Michael,

    ME> - Ruby TK
    ME> - FxRuby
    ME> - QTRuby
    ME> - WxRuby

    ME> The website from Arachno Ruby don't answer me these questions (or I have
    ME> oversight this). :)

    No as i said there is no GUI Builder for ruby out there, even Arachno
    Ruby does not do this. It is only possible to debug/write such
    application with my IDE.

    Lothar Scholz http://www.ruby-ide.com

    Lothar Scholz, Sep 23, 2005
  14. Hi,

    --- Lothar Scholz <> wrote:
    >=20
    > No as i said there is no GUI Builder for ruby out there, even Arachno
    > Ruby does not do this.=20

    There is none that is actively maintained and cross-platform.=20

    But if anybody wants to revive this one "FormDesigner for project Visualu=
    Ruby":

    https://sourceforge.jp/projects/fdvr

    for Windows using VisualuRuby.

    -- shanko

    =09
    __________________________________=20
    Yahoo! Mail - PC Magazine Editors' Choice 2005=20
    http://mail.yahoo.com

    Shashank Date, Sep 23, 2005
  15. Erland

    Richard Dale Guest

    Lothar Scholz wrote:

    > Hello Richard,
    >
    > RD> I wouldn't call Qt Designer a 'half ready workaround'. I certainly
    > prefer RD> the UI of the Qt4 version to the Qt3 one, but it is a perfectly
    > useful RD> tool.
    >
    > RD> KDevelop 3.2.x and the forthcoming Eric3 3.8 have support for using Qt
    > RD> Designer with QtRuby/Korundum. You can either compile the .ui file to
    > ruby RD> code with the rbuic tool, or read the .ui file in at runtime
    > using the RD> 'qui' extension with Qt::WidgetFactory. KDevelop has
    > complete integration, RD> with Qt Designer as a KPart component, while
    > Eric3 starts the Qt Designer RD> app when you click on a .ui file in the
    > project.
    >
    > It is still far from what people expect. There is IMHO no direct GUI <->
    > Code interaction as for example Delphi or other tools offer (if i'm
    > wrong here please correct me). Having QtDesigner embedded in the
    > IDE window is not something that i would call "integrated". This word
    > should describe the workflow and there you can find the problem.

    You can run the UI in 'test mode' as you develop it with Qt Designer. I
    haven't used Delphi so I don't know about the comparison.

    > But i have a very special opinion here, for me even Apples IB is not
    > integrated into XCode - in contrast to RealBasic.

    My personal yardstick for RAD UI designers is Apple's IB, not the Visual
    Basic interface even if is it more interactive. You can have RAD for less
    expert people with Visual Basic, as well as RAD for the higher end
    programmer who can use QtRuby/Korundum or Interface Builder. They will cope
    with steep learning curves or whatever if it improves their productivity.

    The Qt4 version of Qt Designer looks more like Apple's IB at least..

    -- Richard

    Richard Dale, Sep 23, 2005
  16. Erland wrote:

    >HI,
    >Are there any Visual IDEs available for windows platform ? Please
    >enlighten me ?
    >Any help will be highly apprectiated.
    >-Erland

    http://www.locana.org/

    Locana is a GUI interface or GUI toolkit for the Ruby programming
    language. Locana requires the Ruby programming language
    <http://www.ruby-lang.org>.

    Locana draws widgets such as text boxes, list boxes, edit boxes,
    buttons, check boxes, radio buttons, and combo boxes using a small set
    of methods defined in a GUI binding that talks directly to a GUI such as
    Windows and Tk. It also supports borders, menubars, popup menus, and
    automatic scrollbars etc.. It currently runs in Windows
    XP/2000/NT/ME/98/95 and on Tk.

    Locana comes with a GUI Builder that allows you to create applets
    interactively.

    Locana is freeware, open source, and is released under the same license
    as Ruby and requires the Ruby programming language.

    Screen shots:

    * overview of the software
    <http://www.sevasoftware.com/locana/screen_shots/overview_rb.html>
    * running on MS Windows
    <http://www.sevasoftware.com/locana/screen_shots/mswin32_rb.html>
    * running on Tk on linux
    <http://www.sevasoftware.com/locana/screen_shots/tk_rb.html>

    Download <http://www.sevainc.com/locana_download.html>

    More detailed information about Locana can be found at
    http://www.sevasoftware.com/locana.

    Reid Thompson, Sep 24, 2005
  17. http://dathompson.blogspot.com/2005/07/rails-on-eclipse-31.html

    or

    http://www.napcs.com/howto/railsonwindows.html

    On 9/23/05, Reid Thompson <> wrote:
    > Erland wrote:
    >
    > >HI,
    > >Are there any Visual IDEs available for windows platform ? Please
    > >enlighten me ?
    > >Any help will be highly apprectiated.
    > >-Erland
    > >

    > http://www.locana.org/
    >
    > Locana is a GUI interface or GUI toolkit for the Ruby programming
    > language. Locana requires the Ruby programming language
    > <http://www.ruby-lang.org>.
    >
    > Locana draws widgets such as text boxes, list boxes, edit boxes,
    > buttons, check boxes, radio buttons, and combo boxes using a small set
    > of methods defined in a GUI binding that talks directly to a GUI such as
    > Windows and Tk. It also supports borders, menubars, popup menus, and
    > automatic scrollbars etc.. It currently runs in Windows
    > XP/2000/NT/ME/98/95 and on Tk.
    >
    > Locana comes with a GUI Builder that allows you to create applets
    > interactively.
    >
    > Locana is freeware, open source, and is released under the same license
    > as Ruby and requires the Ruby programming language.
    >
    > Screen shots:
    >
    > * overview of the software
    > <http://www.sevasoftware.com/locana/screen_shots/overview_rb.html>
    > * running on MS Windows
    > <http://www.sevasoftware.com/locana/screen_shots/mswin32_rb.html>
    > * running on Tk on linux
    > <http://www.sevasoftware.com/locana/screen_shots/tk_rb.html>
    >
    > Download <http://www.sevainc.com/locana_download.html>
    >
    > More detailed information about Locana can be found at
    > http://www.sevasoftware.com/locana.

    --
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    D'Andrew "Dave" Thompson

    D'Andrew Thompson, Sep 24, 2005
  18. Reid Thompson <> writes:

    > Locana comes with a GUI Builder that allows you to create applets
    > interactively.

    Strange I downlaoded it installed it and started the gui_builder, it
    reacts strange to mouse input it seems it does not matter where the
    mous is places is just cycles around arbitrary, on the left hand are
    buttons and nothing happens while I click on it. If I click around a
    bit I got an error message box telling me that something is not there,
    then while running the test and just clicking around the application
    crashes. If I run on any of the buttons at the top of the tst_locana
    nothing happens.

    Here are just a few hints from the stack

    Locana error during trigger:)on_mouse_move, ...)
    Occurred during :eek:n_mouse_move event:
    Object: Lradiobox:r_radio2[0, 17, 62, 17]{:text=>"radio 2", :below=>:prev, :help=>"The tab_order is specified here to alter the normal tab order", :tab_order=>-1, :sticky=>:nw}

    method `on_mouse_out' called on terminated object (0x2aaaabf512b0)
    Call Stack:
    /usr/local/lib/site_ruby/1.8/locana/l_menu.rb:182:in `on_mouse_out'
    /usr/local/lib/site_ruby/1.8/locana/l_event.rb:922:in `trigger'
    /usr/local/lib/site_ruby/1.8/locana/l_event.rb:895:in `trigger_on_mouse_move'
    /usr/local/lib/site_ruby/1.8/locana/l_event.rb:262:in `trigger_gui_event'
    /usr/local/lib/site_ruby/1.8/locana/locana_gui_tk.rb:255:in `lg_tk_event'
    (eval):929:in `mainloop'
    /usr/local/lib/site_ruby/1.8/locana/locana_gui_tk.rb:1317:in `event_loop'
    /usr/local/lib/site_ruby/1.8/locana.rb:610:in `event_loop'
    tst/tst_locana.rb:866
    deactivating TestWindow
    activating TestWindow
    deactivating TestWindow

    If I just move my mouse over the text windows I got
    the same erro message
    method `on_mouse_out' called on terminated object (0x2aaaabf512b0)

    If the curser gets's near the menu the stuff crashes also.

    maybe it's my system but I doubt that I messed it up that massivly.

    Regards
    Friedrich

    Friedrich Dominicus, Sep 24, 2005
  19. Erland

    Roy Sutton Guest

    One of the other threads in here just mentioned WideStudio
    (http://www.widestudio.org) After a painfully long download I just
    tried it out. It's very similar to Delphi in some respects. Everything
    except the integrated editor, which is kind of surprising. It's not
    nearly as slick or as easy to navigate as Delphi is but it's very
    intriguing. What it is is a cross-platform windowing toolkit. But,
    unlike others I've seen it includes a designer that supports the various
    scripting languages within the designer.

    What I can't speak to yet (as I've only tried the Hello example) is the
    stability and completeness of the product. Also, be aware that it will
    install a complete(?)/different version of Ruby if you let it!

    Roy

    Roy Sutton, Sep 24, 2005
  20. Erland

    Guest

    Erland wrote:
    > HI,
    > Are there any Visual IDEs available for windows platform ? Please
    > enlighten me ?
    > Any help will be highly apprectiated.
    > -Erland

    visualWx is one that can be used with lots of languages including Ruby.
    It uses the Wxwidgets GUI toolkit. It looks like it will do a lot, but
    I haven't found time to really get used to it yet. It doesn't have a
    help file or manual that I could find, but there is a forum on Yahoo
    groups.
    http://visualwx.altervista.org/

    , Sep 24, 2005