Visual Jython idea brainstorming welcome

Discussion in 'Python' started by Victor, Jan 13, 2004.

  1. Victor

    Victor Guest

    Hi all,

    I had this idea two minutes ago. I am proprosing an idea to build an
    IDE called "Visual Jython" with Eclipse technology. This IDE is
    targeted towards building enterprise client applications running any
    Java platform mostly non-web based clients.

    My background is diversed in UNIX variants, Java and Python. Here are
    something off the top of my head.

    1. Basically from UI perspective, it will be like as name implied
    "Visual Studio" like.

    2. plug in architecture
    This IDE should define or use a componenent architecture to plug &
    play component written in Java confining to a Jython Plug in API. For
    instance, we can develop plug in for ODBC, Oracle, DB2, Informix, MQ,
    SAP etc for enterprise uses.

    3. gluing languag--Jython
    maybe we need funding to support Jython for this matter to make it
    commerical quality.

    4. .NET integration?
    Should this IDE generate code that can run on top of .NET to attract
    more VB/.Net programmers into this field?

    Welcome comments on features this IDE should have.

    cheers,
    Victor
    Victor, Jan 13, 2004

  2. On 13 Jan 2004 09:36:57 -0800, Victor <> wrote:

    > Hi all,
    >
    > I had this idea two minutes ago. I am proprosing an idea to build an
    > IDE called "Visual Jython" with Eclipse technology. This IDE is
    > targeted towards building enterprise client applications running any
    > Java platform mostly non-web based clients.
    >
    > My background is diversed in UNIX variants, Java and Python. Here are
    > something off the top of my head.
    >
    > 1. Basically from UI perspective, it will be like as name implied
    > "Visual Studio" like.
    >
    > 2. plug in architecture
    > This IDE should define or use a componenent architecture to plug &
    > play component written in Java confining to a Jython Plug in API. For
    > instance, we can develop plug in for ODBC, Oracle, DB2, Informix, MQ,
    > SAP etc for enterprise uses.
    >

    > 3. gluing languag--Jython
    > maybe we need funding to support Jython for this matter to make it
    > commerical quality.
    >

    > 4. .NET integration?
    > Should this IDE generate code that can run on top of .NET to attract
    > more VB/.Net programmers into this field?
    >

    > Welcome comments on features this IDE should have.

    You should check out this project - perhaps you are headed in the same
    direction?

    http://ejython.tigris.org/

    From the website:

    Description

    The eJython project was formed to accommodate two goals. First to provide
    rich scripting functionality to Java developers using Eclipse. The second
    goal is to build a functioning Jython (Java based Python) development
    environment inside Eclipse. The ultimate vision is to realize the
    following requirements.
    Provide a view with a Jython interpreter built into the view.
    Integrate Jython as a scripting language for complex operations on
    documents open in the Eclipse Editors.
    Provide a development environment for developing Jython based projects
    using Eclipse.
    Attach Jython to upcoming refactoring extension points to allow developers
    to easily write their own refactoring tools.

    --
    Markus
    Markus Wankus, Jan 13, 2004