    tool will be useful. Is Qt best choice, maybe I should buy something
    different?

    Pawel
    Pawel, Feb 16, 2006

  2. Pawel wrote:

    > Hello,
    > I plan to make Visual Reporting Editior, a new product for
    > corporate-class systems. Data will be in XML and in my application,
    > designer should be able to make fascinating templates of reports. I
    > will use Python and MSVS 2005 Pro. My question is, which libaries will
    > be useful in my job. I plan to buy Qt and make visual layer of
    > application using Qt. I'm making businessplan soI have to decide which
    > tool will be useful. Is Qt best choice, maybe I should buy something
    > different?

    If you do have the money, Qt is what you want to get. I've been
    cross-OS-developing with it for Win, Linux and MacOs and it never let me
    down. Even if you don't need cross-platform, the toolchain alone together
    with the really good design are worth it.

    Currently the move to Qt4 in the PyQt community is done, you might consider
    waiting until that is reasonably stable or go for the early snapshots and
    then buy stuff when its released.

    Diez
    Diez B. Roggisch, Feb 16, 2006

  3. Pawel wrote:
    > Hello,

    Hi Pawel,

    > I plan to make Visual Reporting Editior, a new product for
    > corporate-class systems. Data will be in XML and in my application,
    > designer should be able to make fascinating templates of reports. I
    > will use Python and MSVS 2005 Pro.

    What are MSVS 2005 Pro ?

    > My question is, which libaries will be useful in my job. I plan to
    > buy Qt and make visual layer of application using Qt. I'm making
    > businessplan soI have to decide which tool will be useful. Is Qt best
    > choice, maybe I should buy something different?

    Qt has a "strange" license for a graphical toolkit, it is release under
    GPL/commercial license, so if you want to include your new Reporting
    Editior into a commercial product, you have to pay a license for it.
    Different thing is if you use wx or gtk, that has other, more
    "permissive" licenses.

    I (my company), for our project, has create a "Reporting Editior" based
    on wx, following the pySketch tool, but now has about all the code
    rewrite. It has some little problems with the auto-resizeable objects
    (text only for now), that, into the engine that should compose the page,
    not are displayed correctly.

    On the other hand has a lot of worker functions, like:
    - model-view framework
    - object-like develop, so it's simple to add new drawing objects

    - xml read and save
    - multi-page size (A4, A3, etc...)
    - multi-block (head, title, text [more that one], food, end)
    - align-resize object
    - infinite undo-redo
    - image support
    - multi-layer (9 layers)
    - text block wrap, align right/left/center vertically/horrizontally
    - more other...

    Now I haven't the mind and the time for solve the problems, but if you
    want to complete it, or help me to do it, I'll send you the code, so
    after we'll a new -open source (do you like wxWidgets license? [LGPL] )-
    *Visual Reporting Editior*

    > Pawel

    Michele
    Michele Petrazzo, Feb 16, 2006
  4. Pawel

    Paul McNett Guest

    Pawel wrote:
    > I plan to make Visual Reporting Editior, a new product for
    > corporate-class systems. Data will be in XML and in my application,
    > designer should be able to make fascinating templates of reports. I
    > will use Python and MSVS 2005 Pro. My question is, which libaries will
    > be useful in my job. I plan to buy Qt and make visual layer of
    > application using Qt. I'm making businessplan soI have to decide which
    > tool will be useful. Is Qt best choice, maybe I should buy something
    > different?

    Before you go to all that work, please take a look at the Dabo Report
    Designer, which uses wxPython for the UI and ReportLab for the PDF
    generation.

    There's a 23-minute screencast here which may give you an idea if its
    design is compatible with yours:

    http://dabodev.com/documentation

    It isn't complete and I could certainly use help making it so.

    --
    Paul
    Paul McNett, Feb 16, 2006