Visual Report Editor

Pawel

Hello,
I plan to make Visual Reporting Editior, a new product for
corporate-class systems. Data will be in XML and in my application,
designer should be able to make fascinating templates of reports. I
will use Python and MSVS 2005 Pro. My question is, which libaries will
be useful in my job. I plan to buy Qt and make visual layer of
application using Qt. I'm making businessplan soI have to decide which
tool will be useful. Is Qt best choice, maybe I should buy something
different?

Pawel

Diez B. Roggisch

Pawel said:
Hello,
I plan to make Visual Reporting Editior, a new product for
corporate-class systems. Data will be in XML and in my application,
designer should be able to make fascinating templates of reports. I
will use Python and MSVS 2005 Pro. My question is, which libaries will
be useful in my job. I plan to buy Qt and make visual layer of
application using Qt. I'm making businessplan soI have to decide which
tool will be useful. Is Qt best choice, maybe I should buy something
different?

If you do have the money, Qt is what you want to get. I've been
cross-OS-developing with it for Win, Linux and MacOs and it never let me
down. Even if you don't need cross-platform, the toolchain alone together
with the really good design are worth it.

Currently the move to Qt4 in the PyQt community is done, you might consider
waiting until that is reasonably stable or go for the early snapshots and
then buy stuff when its released.

Diez

Michele Petrazzo

Pawel said:

Hi Pawel,
I plan to make Visual Reporting Editior, a new product for
corporate-class systems. Data will be in XML and in my application,
designer should be able to make fascinating templates of reports. I
will use Python and MSVS 2005 Pro.

What are MSVS 2005 Pro ?
My question is, which libaries will be useful in my job. I plan to
buy Qt and make visual layer of application using Qt. I'm making
businessplan soI have to decide which tool will be useful. Is Qt best
choice, maybe I should buy something different?

Qt has a "strange" license for a graphical toolkit, it is release under
GPL/commercial license, so if you want to include your new Reporting
Editior into a commercial product, you have to pay a license for it.
Different thing is if you use wx or gtk, that has other, more
"permissive" licenses.

I (my company), for our project, has create a "Reporting Editior" based
on wx, following the pySketch tool, but now has about all the code
rewrite. It has some little problems with the auto-resizeable objects
(text only for now), that, into the engine that should compose the page,
not are displayed correctly.

On the other hand has a lot of worker functions, like:
- model-view framework
- object-like develop, so it's simple to add new drawing objects

- xml read and save
- multi-page size (A4, A3, etc...)
- multi-block (head, title, text [more that one], food, end)
- align-resize object
- infinite undo-redo
- image support
- multi-layer (9 layers)
- text block wrap, align right/left/center vertically/horrizontally
- more other...

Now I haven't the mind and the time for solve the problems, but if you
want to complete it, or help me to do it, I'll send you the code, so
after we'll a new -open source (do you like wxWidgets license? [LGPL] )-
*Visual Reporting Editior*

Michele

Paul McNett

Pawel said:
I plan to make Visual Reporting Editior, a new product for
corporate-class systems. Data will be in XML and in my application,
designer should be able to make fascinating templates of reports. I
will use Python and MSVS 2005 Pro. My question is, which libaries will
be useful in my job. I plan to buy Qt and make visual layer of
application using Qt. I'm making businessplan soI have to decide which
tool will be useful. Is Qt best choice, maybe I should buy something
different?

Before you go to all that work, please take a look at the Dabo Report
Designer, which uses wxPython for the UI and ReportLab for the PDF
generation.

There's a 23-minute screencast here which may give you an idea if its
design is compatible with yours:

http://dabodev.com/documentation

It isn't complete and I could certainly use help making it so.