Visual Studio 2005 asks me to convert to a website when it is a webapplication

lds

I have Visual Studio 2005 Professional Edition installed with Service
Pack 1. I have several solutions and projects that I have migrated
from Visual Studio 2003 to 2005. In most cases the changes I had to
make were small and when the web projects were converted it told me
select convert to web application, which I have done.

This one application that I have migrated asks me to convert to a
"web
site project" every time I open the solution. The application was
built using Visual Studio 2003 and uses the same layout as all of the
other applcations that we have developed. Each time I open the
solution, I get the warning to convert to web site so I right click
on
the web project, choose "convert to web application" and save the
solution (because I want it to remain in the same format) hoping that
it will stop asking me to convert to a web site. But as I mentioned
before everytime I open the solution it asks me again.

Any ideas on what I should do to get it to accept it as a web
application?

clintonG

I would wack the .sln and .proj files and create a website. Do the extra
work for now and go with the flow here. One thing Vista does well for
example (the only thing really as I've sadly discovered) is enable us to run
IIS7 which enables multiple websites on a single machine.

I now simply add an entry for 127.0.0.l and a website name into the hosts
file and load my websites in a browser on demand [1]. I keep my naming
simple as the names I use to design and develop the website are not needed
once a website is deployed but still remain functional and a fast way to
keep running the same "solution" on my development machine. As I code I
simply reload the page in the browser or let the page do a PostBack. Poof!
Instant efficiency.

This works so much better for me than the crippled and buggy development
server built into Visual Studio and is the only reason I would recommend
anybody begin using Vista to run IIS7.

[1] example of using hosts file
127.0.0.1 localhost # default
127.0.0.1 css1 # Nested MasterPage templates

// request in browser on local development machine resolved by IIS7:
http://css1

Poof! Instant efficiency.