Visual Studio 2005 Asp.net Convert wizard

Anders

Hi

We have a rather large asp.net 1.1 project. We have considered til convert
2.0 in the near future.

We have done a couple of test conversions using the build in Migration tool
which pop up when opening a asp 1.1 solution file.

It went ok besides a few issues. Now i have installed the patch to fix som
issues regarding this tool :

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...52-fc04-4ef8-a28a-25c5006677d8&DisplayLang=en

Ok. But to me it seemes that somethings has changed. First of all the
conversion is not valid anymore. I think the problem might be that it
converts the solution in the original directory as the old solution.

As far as I remembers (I might be wrong) i could choose as destenation for
the convertet solution (anohter dir)

But is option is not available anymore. It just says:

Conversion type: In-place with no backup

As the first screen with no option to do anything except to press Cancel or
Finish were Finish starts thr Conversion.

Can i start the migration wizard up somehow in a more "advanced" mode?

Regards
Anders

Guest

Anders,
why not just copy everything to a new virtual directory and run the wizard
on it from there?
Peter

Anders

Anders,
why not just copy everything to a new virtual directory and run the wizard
on it from there?

Ok. That actually did it. Don't know why i didnt think about it. But now i
have another question.

As far as i undestand Vs. 2005 asp.net 2.0 does not use sln og project file
anymore due to the new compilation strategy. But after I have convertert my
1.1 project i still have the solution file ets.

If I open this solution file everyting works pefectly. But how can this be?
If I open the converted project with Open Website nothing works anymore.

I get some compile error and I can't launch my website.

My folder structure is like the following with 2 websites wihtin one
solution.

Solution
WebProject1
WebProject1
Class lib1
Class lib2
Class lib3
Etc.

I though that i needed the Beta web Project thing Microsoft has just
released to keep working as I did in Vs.2003?

Confussed...yes..
Regards
Anders

Anders

The beta ASP.NET Web Project "Thing" is not finished, its just a preview
release. And I doubt it would work with a converted project as you didn't
originally start out with it.
Yes, it is confusing! And they haven't made it easier by releasing pieces
"after the fact".

Im not sure if you actually answered? I havent touched the ASP.NET Web
Project at all

I just can't undestand why my Visual Studio 2005 RTM have converted my
asp.net 1.1 to a 2.0 WITH solution files and projects when its stated that
the asp.net 2.0 model is WITHOUT solutions etc.

I just mentioned the ASP.NET Web Project "Thing" because it looks like
Visual Studio 2005 RTM is using this model..native..

Actually i have no idea wehter there IS any problem. Im just confussed why i
have a solution file in my asp,net 2,0

Is my problem / concerns undestandable?

Regards
Anders

Gerry Hickman

Hi Anders,
I just can't undestand why my Visual Studio 2005 RTM have converted my
asp.net 1.1 to a 2.0 WITH solution files and projects when its stated that
the asp.net 2.0 model is WITHOUT solutions etc.

As I understand it, the rules are slightly different for "Projects" vs
"WebSites". For Projects you still have solutions and project files, but
WebSites are now just treated (the whole thing) as a project so you
don't need a project file anymore, however, you can still have a
"solution" with WebSites inside it if you want.

I've had some major problems trying to convert true IIS "WebSites" from
1.1 to "FileSystem" WebSites in 2.0, in that the *.csproj file was not
deleted after the conversion and then it tries to convert it again! I've
just downloaded the conversion wizard "update" to see if it is any better.