Visual Studio 2005 final version compiles asp.net app in 3 minutes if external DLL is modified!!!

Amelyan

It takes Visual Studio 2005 3 minutes to compile my application, which
Visual Studio 2003 used to compile in 5 seconds!!! Is anyone having the
same issue?

If I modify anything within my Asp.Net Aplication project, then VS 2005
compiles it in *1 second*. If I modify an external dll that the project
uses, then VS2005 compiles my ASP.NET application project takes to compile
*3 minutes*. That is just weird!

Any clues???

Thanks,

Juan T. Llibre

re:
If I modify an external dll that the project uses, then VS2005 compiles my ASP.NET
application project takes to compile *3 minutes*. That is just weird!

Why is that "weird" ?

Here's probably what's happening :

1. You change the external dll, to which you have a reference in your project.
2. You open your project and recompile.
3. VS.NET notices that the dll referenced in the project is not
the same dll which it has just found (different build numbner + other changes).
4. VS.NET starts a complex scrutiny of the dll, so it can report the problem.
5. That might take up to 3 minutes.

I think that's pretty normal, and not "weird".

What happens if you drop the reference to the previous version
of the dll, and re-reference the current, updated version ?

Amelyan

You are kidding me, right? There is definitely something wrong with either
VS 2005, or some configuration screwed up either in the project or VS 2005
environment. External dlls are not very complicated, and it takes *3
seconds* to compile them.

what "complex scrutiny"? *3 MINUTES* to compile? are you sure?

Amelyan

You may be right. I just built a simple "Hello, World!" DLL and included it
in my asp.net 2.0 project. Everytime I modify/recompile my "Hello, World!"
DLL, then build my asp.net 2.0 application, it takes 2-3 minutes. Is there
a way to disable "complex scrutiny"?

Juan T. Llibre

Have you tried dropping the reference to the "old" dll,
and referencing the updated dll before recompiling ?