    --
    Nathan Sokalski

    http://www.nathansokalski.com/

    Nathan Sokalski, May 14, 2007

  2. I noticed a strange warning that is shown anytime I add a new control. Here
    is a copy of the warning:

    Warning 2 Generation of designer file failed: The relative virtual path '?/'
    is not allowed here. C:\Inetpub\wwwroot\CAT_aspnet\worldnews.aspx 0 0
    CAT_aspnet

    Three things that I noticed about this warning are the following:

    1. The strange foreign character (?) that it says is trying to be used as a
    relative virtual path
    2. It says it is located at Line 0, Column 0, which is not a valid location
    (or if it is, Visual Studio 2005 doesn't show it, since it starts numbering
    the lines at 1)
    3. I tried opening the file it says the error is in using other text editors
    as well, such as Notepad, and there are no unexpected characters there. In
    other words, I cannot find the ? character anywhere using any editor.

    This same warning, with the same strange foreign character, is displayed
    regardless of which file I am trying to add a control to. I have looked at
    all of the files that it claims contain the strange foreign character, and
    none of them have it (at least I can't find it, or any other characters that
    I didn't add in Visual Studio 2005). What's going on here? I may not have
    found the solution to my problem with Visual Studio 2005 generating the
    *.designer.vb files, but at I it knows it's not generating them, and I am
    assuming this is the source of the problem. Any ideas? Thanks.

    Nathan Sokalski, May 15, 2007