Visual Studio 2005 Login Components and ASPNETDB Options

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by greg.hart@alpinebiomed.com, Jun 19, 2008.

  1. Guest

    Hello all,

    Just wanted to get some clarification on something. I was setting
    out
    to create a login page for people to login and then be able to access
    certain aspects of the website. Instead of doing what I usually do
    which is store the username password in a db table then compare what
    the user enters from the text boxes to what's in the db, I thought I
    would try the login components from the toolbox.

    In looking at how to wire those up it seems I have come across two
    similiar ways, but they are a different and I am not sure if one is
    better than the other etc.

    In on item I found it was suggested to use the aspnet_regsql to
    create
    the aspnetdb and the associated tables in my sql instance, add users,
    which I did with a sql query I found, then wire it to the login
    component.

    The other item I found was within Visual Studio, click the ASP.NET
    Configuration icon from within my project, which in turn creates an
    aspnetdb.,df in my App_Data directory and go from there.

    Not sure if the latter option is used when you don't have SQL server
    available to you, but it seemed much easier to get wired up and
    worked
    right away, versus the former option which I had trouble getting
    wired
    up.

    Thoughts?
    Greg

    , Jun 19, 2008

  2. Norman Yuan Guest

    The two ways you described, well, if you study a bit more on SQL membership
    provider used for ASP.NET project/website, are the same way: you need to
    have an instance of SQL Server (Express) available.

    Norman Yuan, Jun 20, 2008

  3. The first technique you mentioned (regsql) is more professional and should
    be used for complex sites that need to be highly scalable.

    The second technique you mentioned uses SQL Express by default. This is
    fine for smaller, relatively informal web sites.

    --
    I hope this helps,
    Steve C. Orr,

    Steve C. Orr [MCSD, MVP, CSM, ASP Insider], Jun 20, 2008
  4. clintonG Guest

    Be advised some (perhaps many) hosting services are refusing to support SQL
    Express databases.

    clintonG, Jun 21, 2008

    On Jun 21, 11:06 am, "clintonG" <> wrote:
    > Be advised some (perhaps many) hosting services are refusing to support SQL
    > Express databases.
    >
    > <> wrote in message

    > > Hello all,

    > > Just wanted to get some clarification on something.  I was setting
    > > out
    > > to create aloginpage for people tologinand then be able to access
    > > certain aspects of the website.  Instead of doing what I usually do
    > > which is store the username password in a db table then compare what
    > > the user enters from the text boxes to what's in the db, I thought I
    > > would try thelogincomponentsfrom the toolbox.

    > > In looking at how to wire those up it seems I have come across two
    > > similiar ways, but they are a different and I am not sure if one is
    > > better than the other etc.

    > > In on item I found it was suggested to use the aspnet_regsql to
    > > create
    > > the aspnetdb and the associated tables in my sql instance, add users,
    > > which I did with a sql query I found, then wire it to thelogin
    > > component.

    > > The other item I found was withinVisualStudio, click the ASP.NET
    > > Configuration icon from within my project, which in turn creates an
    > > aspnetdb.,df in my App_Data directory and go from there.

    > > Not sure if the latter option is used when you don't have SQL server
    > > available to you, but it seemed much easier to get wired up and
    > > worked
    > > right away, versus the former option which I had trouble getting
    > > wired
    > > up.

    > > Thoughts?
    > > Greg- Hide quoted text -

    Ok. I'm back. I started down the path of just using SQL express in
    my local dev environment, just to see how this all works. Everything
    seems to work great so now I am looking to move it to my prod box
    which is a full blown SQL 2005 instance. Of course I was hoping I
    would just be able to copy my APP_DATA directory over and everythign
    would still work without issue. Doesn't seem to be the case. I have
    seen a number of postings and it appears people are doing different
    things to get it working. I have tried to attach the DB in my SQL
    instance but my local version doesn't seem to use anything special in
    the web.config to know it is there so I am not sure how to make it
    aware of the DB.

    I keep getting:

    An error has occurred while establishing a connection to the server.
    When connecting to SQL Server 2005, this failure may be caused by the
    fact that under the default settings SQL Server does not allow remote
    connections. (provider: SQL Network Interfaces, error: 26 - Error
    Locating Server/Instance Specified)

    Thanks,
    Greg

    , Jun 23, 2008
  6. re:
    !> I was hoping I would just be able to copy my APP_DATA
    !> directory over and everything would still work

    You can't simply attach a SQL Server Express database file to SQL Server 2005.

    What I would do is export your SQL Server Express database
    to a .sql file, create a new database with the same name in
    the SQL Server 2005 server, and import your .sql file into it.

    You must make sure that you include both the schema
    and the data in your exported .sql file.

    re:
    !> my local version doesn't seem to use anything special in the web.config to know it is there

    There should be a connection string there, somewhere.

    re:
    !> so I am not sure how to make it aware of the DB.

    Look at the differences in connection string syntax
    for SQL Server 2005 and SQL Server Express, here :

    http://www.connectionstrings.com/?carrier=sqlserver2005

    Make sure you modify your current connection string so it conforms to SQL Server 2005 syntax.
    You can't just copy the connection string from Express to full SQL and expect it to work.

    re:
    !> An error has occurred while establishing a connection to the server.
    !> When connecting to SQL Server 2005, this failure may be caused by the
    !> fact that under the default settings SQL Server does not allow remote
    !> connections. (provider: SQL Network Interfaces, error: 26 - Error
    !> Locating Server/Instance Specified)

    That sounds like the instance name was not changed in the connection string,
    but may have one of a number of causes. Here are some :

    1) Make sure your server name is correct, e.g., no typo on the name.

    2) Make sure your instance name is correct and that the instance actually exists on your target machine.

    3) Make sure the server machine is reachable,
    i.e., that the DNS can be resolved correctly, and that you are able to ping the server.

    4) Make sure that the SQL Browser service is running on the server.

    5) If a firewall is enabled on the server, you need to put
    sqlbrowser.exe and/or UDP port 1434 into a firewall exception.

    Also, you might have to communicate via IP, instead of the SQL Server name,
    if the SQL Server is not within the same local network as the web server.

    Juan T. Llibre, asp.net MVP
    asp.net faq : http://asp.net.do/faq/
    ======================================

    Juan T. Llibre, Jun 23, 2008
  7. xman Guest

    On Jun 23, 7:55 am, "Juan T. Llibre" <>
    wrote:
> [...]

    > which is a full blownSQL2005 instance.  Of course I was hoping I
    > would just be able to copy my APP_DATA directory over and everythign
    > would still work without issue.  Doesn't seem to be the case.  I have
    > seen a number of postings and it appears people are doing different
    > things to get it working.  I have tried to attach the DB in mySQL
    > instance but my local version doesn't seem to use anything special in
    > the web.config to know it is there so I am not sure how to make it
    > aware of the DB.
    >
    > I keep getting:
    >
    > An error has occurred while establishing a connection to theserver.
    > When connecting toSQLServer2005, this failure may be caused by the
    > fact that under the default settingsSQLServerdoes not allow remote
    > connections. (provider:SQLNetwork Interfaces, error: 26 - Error

    Hi Greg,

    in case you have trouble moving the SQL Server Express db to the
    target server using export / import one other approach is to use xSQL
    Software's (http://www.xsqlsoftware.com) schema and data compare tools
    that are free for SQL Server Express and also free for other editions
    of SQL Server if the number of objects in the database does not exceed
    certain limits. The above description refers to the "after the two
    week trial" since during the trial you get them with no restrictions
    at all so you can get the job done.

    Here are the steps:
    1. create a blank database in the target server
    2. user xSQL Object to compare and synchronize the schemas of the two
    databases (your source and destination) - in essence you are
    transfering the schema this way (it should take no more than a couple
    of minutes to complete the job)
    3. if you want to transfer the data as well use xSQL Data Compare to
    compare and synchronize the data in your target database with the
    source database - you can include only tables and rows you want (if
    you did not want to transfer everything).

    Hope this is helpful for you.

    JC

    xman, Jun 24, 2008