Visual Studio 2005 webserver crashing

Owen Blacker

Apologies, first of all, for the cross-posting.

I'm getting WebDev.WebServer.exe crashing all the time at the moment,
despite having done a Detect and Repair with Visual Studio 2005, but I
guess that's not so helpful to you?

Unfortunately, I'm not sure what actually caused the problem but, for
the last couple of days (and without having installed anything or
changed any registry settings between it working and it not working)
every time I try to View in Browser a page in my web project, it
launches the Cassini-based server engine, then crashes.

If it helps, the information displayed in the short form of the error
report is:

AppName: webdev.webserver.exe
AppVer: 8.0.50727.42
AppStamp: 4333d6f1
ModName: kernel32.dll
ModVer: 5.1.2600.2180
ModStamp: 411096b4
fDebug: 0
Offset: 001eb33

I had a look at MSKB Q918041, as comments on David Wang's blog
(http://masl.to/?Z1981222D - blogs.msdn.com) suggested, but I don't
have an IIS_WPG group on my machine. I set the Network Service account
to have the same privileges as the ASPNET account has on the registry
key in question, but that doesn't seem to have resolved it.

A little more information.

Most (not all) instances of this problem have two items in the event
log (two only have the Error and not the Information):

Error event:

Source: .Net Runtime 2.0 Error
Category: None
Event ID: 1000
8.0.50727.42, stamp 4333d6f1, faulting module kernel32.dll, version
5.1.2600.2180, stamp 411096b4, debug? 0, fault address 0x0001eb33.

Information event (up to three minutes later and potentially
unrelated):

Source: .Net Runtime 2.0 Error
Category: None
Event ID: 1001
webdev.webserver.exe, version 8.0.50727.42, stamp 4333d6f1, faulting
module kernel32.dll, version 5.1.2600.2180, stamp 411096b4, debug? 0,
fault address 0x0001eb33.

Any and all information gratefully received.

Owen Blacker

owen

And now I find that it was an infinite recursion that, for some reason,
the debugger wasn't picking up as a StackOverflowException and the
precompiler hadn't noticed.

Doh! :eek:)