Visual Studio 2005 weird behavior

0

00_DotNetWarrior

1. I created a Solution in VS 2005, the Solution "Solution 'Solution1' (0
projects)" shows up properly
2. then I added a New Web Site

At this point, the solution disappears from the solution explorer! I only
see the "web site" I expect it to say "Solution 'Solution1' (1 projects)"
This is weird, because we have 4 machines, 2 of them are having this
problem, but 2 are fine!!!??

3. To get the solution back, I have to add another proj or a Class Library,
4. Now, the solution shows up again "Solution 'Solution1' (2 projects)"

This is a annoying, because I cannot Check In the a standalone web site to
Source Safe with the .SLN file. I want to check-in a solution, not just web
site.

Is this a bug? or is it some settings I need to tweak? Thanks for help in

John

Uriah Piddle

I had normal behavior until I copied some files into another folder and then
hacked the project file to point to the new location. After that, I have had
your problem. Doing a repair reinstall did not help me at all. From my
google research, I think that this behavior is part of the 'Team' version of
VS and that, when I messed it up, I made my version confused as to what
version it is when it sets up an ASP solution. In other words, part of my
Standard version of VS thinks it is the Team version. That's my suspicion at
least.

There is a thread on this forum going back to Aug. or Sept. on this issue.

Carl Daniel [VC++ MVP]

00_DotNetWarrior said:
1. I created a Solution in VS 2005, the Solution "Solution 'Solution1' (0
projects)" shows up properly
2. then I added a New Web Site

At this point, the solution disappears from the solution explorer! I only
see the "web site" I expect it to say "Solution 'Solution1' (1 projects)"
This is weird, because we have 4 machines, 2 of them are having this
problem, but 2 are fine!!!??

3. To get the solution back, I have to add another proj or a Class
Library,
4. Now, the solution shows up again "Solution 'Solution1' (2 projects)"

This is a annoying, because I cannot Check In the a standalone web site to
Source Safe with the .SLN file. I want to check-in a solution, not just
web site.

Is this a bug? or is it some settings I need to tweak? Thanks for help in

Check Tools|Options|Projects and Solutions|General|Always Show Solution from
the menu - you want that checkbox checked.

-cd

bruce barker

websites do not have a project file. therefore there is no solution
associated with the website. when you add a project, then you have a
project, with a solution and a website in that solution.

if you have a standalone website, you have no need of a solution, so no
need to check one in. just add the site to source control and you're
done. if you want a solution file, then you need to add a project to it.

-- bruce (sqlwork.com)

0

00_DotNetWarrior

Thanks a lot Carl, your solution works!!!! Thanks again.. I have been
looking for the options but must have overlooked.

0

00_DotNetWarrior

There is no project file, but there is a solution file. VS2005 actually
saves a sln file in your MyDocuments when you create a web site.

See Carl Daniel's solution in this thread.

Carl Daniel [VC++ MVP]

00_DotNetWarrior said:
Thanks a lot Carl, your solution works!!!! Thanks again.. I have been
looking for the options but must have overlooked.

Understandable. There's something like 2000 settings in VS2005, so it's
easy to miss one or two! If you don't believe that number, just export the
settings as XML - "Tools|Import and Export Settings..". from the menu - and
see how huge the resulting document is!

-cd