visual studio 2005

Discussion in 'ASP General' started by Milton Snider, Aug 15, 2006.

  1. I installed visual studio 2005 and created a website. I turned on the forms
    authentication and allowed the system to create the aspnetdb.mdf file for me
    under the App_Data directory. Everything works fine locally running the
    site locally with the sql server express edition. However, when I publish
    to an IIS site, I can see the login aspx page I created, but can't
    authenticate. I get an error listed below. Should an IIS server be able to
    see an mdf file based database?
    An error has occurred while establishing a connection to the server. When
    connecting to SQL Server 2005, this failure may be caused by the fact that
    under the default settings SQL Server does not allow remote connections.
    (provider: SQL Network Interfaces, error: 26 - Error Locating
    Server/Instance Specified)

    Exception Details: System.Data.SqlClient.SqlException: An error has occurred
    while establishing a connection to the server. When connecting to SQL
    Server 2005, this failure may be caused by the fact that under the default
    settings SQL Server does not allow remote connections. (provider: SQL
    Network Interfaces, error: 26 - Error Locating Server/Instance Specified)

    Source Error:

    Stack Trace:

    [SqlException (0x80131904): An error has occurred while establishing a
    connection to the server. When connecting to SQL Server 2005, this failure
    may be caused by the fact that under the default settings SQL Server does
    not allow remote connections. (provider: SQL Network Interfaces, error: 26 -
    Error Locating Server/Instance Specified)]
    System.Data.SqlClient.SqlInternalConnection.OnError(SqlException
    exception, Boolean breakConnection) +734931
    System.Data.SqlClient.TdsParser.ThrowExceptionAndWarning(TdsParserStateObject
    stateObj) +188
    System.Data.SqlClient.TdsParser.Connect(Boolean& useFailoverPartner,
    Boolean& failoverDemandDone, String host, String failoverPartner, String
    protocol, SqlInternalConnectionTds connHandler, Int64 timerExpire, Boolean
    encrypt, Boolean trustServerCert, Boolean integratedSecurity, SqlConnection
    owningObject, Boolean aliasLookup) +820
    System.Data.SqlClient.SqlInternalConnectionTds.OpenLoginEnlist(SqlConnection
    owningObject, SqlConnectionString connectionOptions, String newPassword,
    Boolean redirectedUserInstance) +628
    System.Data.SqlClient.SqlInternalConnectionTds..ctor(DbConnectionPoolIdentity
    identity, SqlConnectionString connectionOptions, Object providerInfo, String
    newPassword, SqlConnection owningObject, Boolean redirectedUserInstance)
    +170
    System.Data.SqlClient.SqlConnectionFactory.CreateConnection(DbConnectionOptions
    options, Object poolGroupProviderInfo, DbConnectionPool pool, DbConnection
    owningConnection) +130
    System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionFactory.CreatePooledConnection(DbConnection
    owningConnection, DbConnectionPool pool, DbConnectionOptions options) +28
    System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionPool.CreateObject(DbConnection
    owningObject) +424
    System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionPool.UserCreateRequest(DbConnection
    owningObject) +66
    System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionPool.GetConnection(DbConnection
    owningObject) +496
    System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionFactory.GetConnection(DbConnection
    owningConnection) +82
    System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionClosed.OpenConnection(DbConnection
    outerConnection, DbConnectionFactory connectionFactory) +105
    System.Data.SqlClient.SqlConnection.Open() +111
    System.Web.DataAccess.SqlConnectionHolder.Open(HttpContext context,
    Boolean revertImpersonate) +84
    System.Web.DataAccess.SqlConnectionHelper.GetConnection(String
    connectionString, Boolean revertImpersonation) +197
    System.Web.Security.SqlMembershipProvider.GetPasswordWithFormat(String
    username, Boolean updateLastLoginActivityDate, Int32& status, String&
    password, Int32& passwordFormat, String& passwordSalt, Int32&
    failedPasswordAttemptCount, Int32& failedPasswordAnswerAttemptCount,
    Boolean& isApproved, DateTime& lastLoginDate, DateTime& lastActivityDate)
    +1121
    System.Web.Security.SqlMembershipProvider.CheckPassword(String username,
    String password, Boolean updateLastLoginActivityDate, Boolean
    failIfNotApproved, String& salt, Int32& passwordFormat) +105
    System.Web.Security.SqlMembershipProvider.CheckPassword(String username,
    String password, Boolean updateLastLoginActivityDate, Boolean
    failIfNotApproved) +42
    System.Web.Security.SqlMembershipProvider.ValidateUser(String username,
    String password) +83
    System.Web.UI.WebControls.Login.OnAuthenticate(AuthenticateEventArgs e)
    +160
    System.Web.UI.WebControls.Login.AttemptLogin() +105
    System.Web.UI.WebControls.Login.OnBubbleEvent(Object source, EventArgs e)
    +99
    System.Web.UI.Control.RaiseBubbleEvent(Object source, EventArgs args) +35
    System.Web.UI.WebControls.Button.OnCommand(CommandEventArgs e) +115
    System.Web.UI.WebControls.Button.RaisePostBackEvent(String eventArgument)
    +163
    eventArgument) +7
    sourceControl, String eventArgument) +11
    includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint) +5102

    Milton Snider, Aug 15, 2006

  2. Milton Snider

    Mike Brind Guest

    Milton Snider wrote:
    > I installed visual studio 2005 and created a website. I turned on the forms
    > authentication and allowed the system to create the aspnetdb.mdf file for me
    > under the App_Data directory.

    This group covers classic asp which is completely different to asp.net.
    The group for you is microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet.

    It is also advisable to have a look through other questions in a group
    that you intend posting to for the first time, just to confirm whether
    you have selected the right group for your question or not.

    --
    Mike Brind

    Mike Brind, Aug 15, 2006