Visual Studio 2008 asp.net web administration>profile: "The profile wasn't created"?

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Andy B, May 3, 2008.

  1. Andy B

    Andy B Guest

    When I ran the asp.net admin tool to setup web application settings, I get
    the following notice when I went to profile and chose to use a single
    provider for all features: "The provider wasn't created". To reproduce:

    1. In Visual Studio 2008, create a new web application.
    2. Add a web.config file if one doesn't already exist.
    3. In the <ConnectionStrings> element, add a valid working connection
    string. Mine works but is left out for security reasons.
    4. Add the following Membership element to the System.Web element:

    <membership

    defaultProvider="EternityRecordsContracts">

    <providers>

    <add name="EternityRecordsContracts"

    connectionStringName="EternityRecordsContractServerConnectionString"

    type="System.Web.Security.SqlMembershipProvider, System.Web,
    Version=2.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b03f5f7f11d50a3a"

    enablePasswordRetrieval="false"

    enablePasswordReset="true"

    requiresQuestionAndAnswer="true"

    applicationName="/"

    requiresUniqueEmail="true"

    passwordFormat="Hashed"

    maxInvalidPasswordAttempts="3"

    minRequiredPasswordLength="6"

    minRequiredNonalphanumericCharacters="1"

    passwordAttemptWindow="1"

    passwordStrengthRegularExpression="" />

    </providers>

    </membership>

    Replace the defaultProvider and connectionStringName to fit your instances.

    5. Run the asp.net web admin tool and go to provider. Choose to use a single
    provider for all features and you end up with the message at the beginning
    of this message.

    Is there any way to fix this?
    Andy B, May 3, 2008