Visual studio 2008: Debugger gets killed if I use custom server

Author

I searched frantically on the web, but could not find *any*
information about this. And this has been bugging me for quite some
time now.

OK, here is the brief story:

I am using Visual Studio 2008.

Sometimes, I need to debug my web application by using customer
server, usually my IIS.

So, I right-click on the website title in Solution Explorer, and then
click on Property Pages.

In the Property Pages dialog window, I click on Start Options on the
left. And on the right, under Server, I select Use custom server and
enter http://localhost:8080/ as the Base URL

Now, when I hit F5 to debug my web application, everything works as
expected *except* that my debug session will soon be closed
automagically by something unknown. In other words, I can debug for 1
to 2 minutes and then the debugger dies out, the Visual studio windows
title no longer says "(Debugging)" or "(Running)" following my web
application title.

Anyone experiencing this too? Any expert knows how to tackle this
problem? Thanks.

Anthony Jones

Author said:
[...]

What exactly are you debugging, client side script or serverside managed
code?

What OS are you on?

Author

What exactly are you debugging, client side script or serverside managed
code?

What OS are you on?

Thanks. I am debuging a regular asp.net web application (actually web
site project instead of web application project) I am working on in C#
(managed code only) using .net framework 3.5. I am not debugging
javascript if that's what you mean.

Although I have implied it in my original post, I would to emphasize
that if I simply use the Default web server that comes with Visual
Studio (which I think is called Cassini), such bebugger-gets-killed
problem does not exist.

bruce barker

most likely a recycle is happening, which will kill the appdomain you
are debugging. be sure you are not writing to the file system during
your debug session. also if you display the output window, you should
see what is happening.

-- bruce (sqlwork.com)

Anthony Jones

bruce barker said:
most likely a recycle is happening, which will kill the appdomain you are
debugging. be sure you are not writing to the file system during your
debug session. also if you display the output window, you should see what
is happening.

I'm not sure why writing to the file system would be a problem?

Writing something to the App_Code folder or modifying the Web.Config that
would be a problem.

Author

bruce said:
most likely a recycle is happening, which will kill the appdomain you
are debugging. be sure you are not writing to the file system during
your debug session. also if you display the output window, you should
see what is happening.

-- bruce (sqlwork.com)

Thank you very much. If recycling will kill the appdomain, and hence
kill the debugging session, then it is very likey the case. If u
recall, roughly half a year ago, I asked in this group why my asp.net
web app's session gets killed pretty soon no matter what session
timeout value I set in web.config.

So, maybe there is a devil that's haunting my development work station
and keeps killing my web app session as well as my debugging session.

It seems that I started to have this problem since our help desk
migrated our domain to a new one earlier this year.

I'll try debugging with the output window open and see if I can get
some helpful hints. Than u again for the tip.

Author

bruce said:
most likely a recycle is happening, which will kill the appdomain you
are debugging. be sure you are not writing to the file system during
your debug session. also if you display the output window, you should
see what is happening.

-- bruce (sqlwork.com)

Question though: why don't I have this annoying problem if I use the
default web server (Cassini) for debugging?

Author

most likely a recycle is happening, which will kill the appdomain you
are debugging. be sure you are not writing to the file system during
your debug session. also if you display the output window, you should
see what is happening.

-- bruce (sqlwork.com)

Here is the info from the output window. The last 2 lines maybe give
you some clue?

Auto-attach to process '[7280] aspnet_wp.exe' on machine 'INDIGO08'
succeeded.
'aspnet_wp.exe' (Managed): Loaded 'C:\WINDOWS\assembly\GAC_32\mscorlib
\2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089\mscorlib.dll', Skipped loading symbols.
Module is optimized and the debugger option 'Just My Code' is enabled.
'aspnet_wp.exe' (Managed): Loaded 'C:\WINDOWS\assembly
\GAC_32\System.Web\2.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a\System.Web.dll', Skipped
Code' is enabled.
'aspnet_wp.exe' (Managed): Loaded 'C:\WINDOWS\assembly\GAC_MSIL\System
\2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089\System.dll', Skipped loading symbols.
Module is optimized and the debugger option 'Just My Code' is enabled.
'aspnet_wp.exe' (Managed): Loaded 'C:\WINDOWS\assembly\GAC_MSIL
\System.Configuration\2.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a
\System.Configuration.dll', Skipped loading symbols. Module is
optimized and the debugger option 'Just My Code' is enabled.
'aspnet_wp.exe' (Managed): Loaded 'C:\WINDOWS\assembly\GAC_MSIL
\System.Xml\2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089\System.Xml.dll', Skipped loading
symbols. Module is optimized and the debugger option 'Just My Code' is
enabled.
'aspnet_wp.exe' (Managed): Loaded 'C:\WINDOWS\assembly\GAC_MSIL
\Microsoft.JScript\8.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a\Microsoft.JScript.dll',
Skipped loading symbols. Module is optimized and the debugger option
'Just My Code' is enabled.
'aspnet_wp.exe' (Managed): Loaded 'C:\WINDOWS\assembly\GAC_MSIL
\CppCodeProvider\8.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a\CppCodeProvider.dll',
Skipped loading symbols. Module is optimized and the debugger option
'Just My Code' is enabled.
'aspnet_wp.exe' (Managed): Loaded 'C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework
\v2.0.50727\Temporary ASP.NET Files\root\ac8093fb
\73e93961\App_Code.htedikfc.dll', Symbols loaded.
'aspnet_wp.exe' (Managed): Loaded 'C:\WINDOWS\assembly\GAC_MSIL
\System.Xml.Linq\3.5.0.0__b77a5c561934e089\System.Xml.Linq.dll',
Skipped loading symbols. Module is optimized and the debugger option
'Just My Code' is enabled.
'aspnet_wp.exe' (Managed): Loaded 'C:\WINDOWS\assembly\GAC_MSIL
\System.Core\3.5.0.0__b77a5c561934e089\System.Core.dll', Skipped
Code' is enabled.
The thread '<No Name>' (0xfb4) has exited with code 0 (0x0).
The program '[7280] aspnet_wp.exe: Managed' has exited with code 0
(0x0).

Anthony Jones

Author said:
Question though: why don't I have this annoying problem if I use the
default web server (Cassini) for debugging?

Cassini is a completely different type of web server with express purpose of
being an agent by which ASP.NET solutions are debugged.

Author

Cassini is a completely different type of web server with express purpose of
being an agent by which ASP.NET solutions are debugged.

That makes sense. So, looks like something is wrong with my IIS.

Eric Miles

Windows XP - latest service packs, etc.
Studio 2008 - everything up to date, etc.

I'm developing a web app and I am using IIS to debug my app via the "Use
custom server" under Start Options. I make changes to a gridview and it
does not show up in the browser. What gives? I have no interest in
using "Casini" or whatever the builtin web server is because the end
product will never be deployed on this web server and I have run into
rendering differences between Casini and IIS. Why MS chose to do it
this way is beyond reason. Develop on X, deploy on Y.

So, how do I get changes to appear? Changes appear with simple .htm
files, not .aspx files. The debugger is attached to the correct asp
process because I can set breakpoints, etc. But, if I make changes to a
gridview ... nothing.

TIA,
Eric