Visual Studio 2008 on W.XP vs 2010 on W.7

Discussion in 'C++' started by Vicent Giner-Bosch, May 22, 2011.

  1. Hello.

    I know this question deals with Visual Studio, not with C++, so sorry
    in advance. This is the only group I know about this subject, but I
    would appreciate if you can tell me a better group to pose my
    question.

    I am running Visual Studio 2008 on two computers with Windows XP, and
    I get everything happily synchronized with DropBox.

    Now one of the computers is going to be replaced by another one, with
    Windows 7 (64 bits) installed.

    Can I install Visual Studio 2008 on this new computer, and keep having
    everything synced, like it was till now?? I mean, is there any issue
    with Visual Studio 2008 running on Windows 7?

    If actually there is, then I can install also Visual Studio 2010. Do
    you think I can get syncing problems if I keep VS 2008 in my old
    computer (running on Windows XP) and have VS 2010 running on my new
    Windows 7 computer?

    What is the best strategy?

    Thank you in advance.
    Vicent Giner-Bosch, May 22, 2011

  2. Vicent Giner-Bosch

    Öö Tiib Guest

    On May 22, 2:15 am, Vicent Giner-Bosch <> wrote:
    > Hello.
    >
    > I know this question deals with Visual Studio, not with C++, so sorry
    > in advance. This is the only group I know about this subject, but I
    > would appreciate if you can tell me a better group to pose my
    > question.

    MS has put up their own forums in MSDN (micro soft developer network).
    Also there is Stack Overflow ... quite helpful collective where you
    might get advice on lot of subjects if you tag your question
    correctly.

    > I am running Visual Studio 2008 on two computers with Windows XP, and
    > I get everything happily synchronized with DropBox.
    >
    > Now one of the computers is going to be replaced by another one, with
    > Windows 7 (64 bits) installed.
    >
    > Can I install Visual Studio 2008 on this new computer, and keep having
    > everything synced, like it was till now?? I mean, is there any issue
    > with Visual Studio 2008 running on Windows 7?
    >
    > If actually there is, then I can install also Visual Studio 2010. Do
    > you think I can get syncing problems if I keep VS 2008 in my old
    > computer (running on Windows XP) and have VS 2010 running on my new
    > Windows 7 computer?
    >
    > What is the best strategy?
    >
    > Thank you in advance.

    I am no user of things like DropBox. It feels dirty. I always use real
    version control systems (clearcase, subversion, git or mercurial). So
    can't help there.
    Öö Tiib, May 22, 2011