Visual Studio 2008 Professional Edition Web Form Controls

John Crews

I have Visual Studio 2008 Professional Edition and I am attempting to create
a Web Application. I created a new Project choosing the Web templates under
C#. I selected the ASP .Net Web Application installed templates. The
project and solution created successfully. Then I opened up the
Default.aspx in design view and went to add a label control. I did not see
the Web Control tab on the Toolbox. I select standard and selected the
Label control. However, it would not let me add it to the form. I clicked
on the HTML tab and I was able to add any one of those controls to the aspx
form. Still, I want to add Web Controls but VS 2008 is not letting me.

Can anyone assist me on this?

Nathan Sokalski

Was there ever really a "Web Control Tab" in the Toolbox? I am using Visual
Studio 2008 Professional Edition as well, and when I open an *.aspx file,
the Toolbox has several groups. These include "Standard", which is the one
that includes the Label control, but there are no groups by the name of "Web
Control Tab". Is there some other tab or group that you had manually added
to Visual Studio that you may have accidentally removed? Does Visual Studio
let you add any controls from the Toolbox? Does it let you add controls if
you delete the Default.aspx file and add a new webform? Are there any
modifications you can remember ever making to the Toolbox? Perhaps someone
may be able to help you more once you answer these questions.

John Crews

Thank you for your response.

Answers to your questions:

Was there ever really a "Web Control Tab" in the Toolbox? No. I am
following a tutorial in Microsoft's C# Professional Projects from Premier
Press ISBN: 1931841306. Chapter 4 "Creating An AirLine Reservation
Portal." In the steps to create this portal are illustrations of a Web Form
Controls tab on the toolbox.

Is there some other tab or group that you had manually added to Visual
Studio that you may have accidentally removed? I did add a Web Controls tab
but was unable to add any System.Web.UI controls. My guess is that since
they are already in the toolbox it would not let me add them again. I have
since removed this tab.

Does Visual Studio let you add any controls from the Toolbox? Yes. I let
me add the HTML controls to the form in design view. In Split view I was
able to add a Label control from the Standard tab of the toolbox but recieve
an error in the design view. I was able to build and run the web form
however.

Does it let you add controls if you delete the Default.aspx file and add a
new webform? I have not tried this yet. I will try and then get back with
you on my results.

Are there any modifications you can remember ever making to the Toolbox?
Other than what I have already mentioned I have made no other modifications.

Note: I am currently uninstalling VS2008 and re-installing.

Thanks,

Hope you can help.

Cowboy \(Gregory A. Beamer\)

The items under the Standard Group in the toolbox should cover most of the
tools you need. You should also see

Data - for binding data
Validation - For validating user input
Navigation - Menu, SiteMapPath, TreeView
Login - Using ASP.NET membership
WebParts - You probably won't use these
HTML - Standard HTML controls

I thin that is it, but I am running from memory right now.

--
Gregory A. Beamer
MVP; MCP: +I, SE, SD, DBA

| Think outside the box! |

Nathan Sokalski

"In Split view I was able to add a Label control from the Standard tab of
the toolbox but recieve an error in the design view." What is the error
message that is displayed in this error? Some error messages are more
helpful than others, and I am assuming that you used any information in the
error message as best you could. Also (depending on exactly what the message
was), if the message included one of those error numbers that usually
initially means nothing to us, doing a web search for that number can get
you more information than you would think (some people don't always bother
to do this, but I have found that if I can't solve my problem with the other
info, this sometimes gets me where I want to go). Good Luck!

John Crews

Greg,

Thank you for responding.

Yes, you are correct. Those items you mentioned are in the Toolbox...good
memory.

John Crews

Nathan,

Thank you for your continued effort in assising me.

The error I received was "Error Creating Control."

It then goes on about not being able to find the path of the project. Once
I get VS2008 reinstalled and if the error re-occurs I will send you the
text.

Thanks,

Cowboy \(Gregory A. Beamer\)

John Crews said:
Greg,

Thank you for responding.

Yes, you are correct. Those items you mentioned are in the Toolbox...good
memory.

I probably still missed at least one. ;-)

John Crews

I have reinstalled VS2008 Prof Ed and SP1. I am still haveing the same
issue. I cannot drag and drop controls onto the Webform designer.

I have .Net 3.5.

Help?