Visual studio 2008 remote debugger SP1 on Windows Server 2008

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Julien, May 18, 2009.

  1. Julien

    Julien Guest

    Hello,
    Here is my problem :
    I have a windows server 2008 and a my computer running Visual Studio 2008.
    Windows server 2008 is running vs remote debugger 2008 sp1.
    Both are in the same domain. Both have firewall disabled.
    I wan't to debug ASP.Net managed code. When I try to list my server
    processes in Visual Studio 2008 I get an error "a specific security package
    error occured". I see my connection attempt in the remote debugger monitor on
    the server with my login but can't get remote server processes list.
    When I try to connect using native mode I manage to get the remote server
    processes list. I tried remote debugger as a service, and as a standalone
    application without success. I tried using dns name and IP but same result.
    It seems to be an authentification error or a credentials problem. How can I
    solve this and enable remote debugging ?

    Thank you for your answer,

    Julien

    Julien, May 18, 2009

  2. First, I do not recommend remote debugging ever, unless there is no way to
    accomplish the task. I find that too many shops have devs work against a
    single machine, which is counter-productive. Off my soapbox.

    You need to determine which credentials are being sent to the remote box and
    ensure that account has all of the proper permissions needed to accomplish
    the remote debug. Troubleshooting the problem means you have to determine
    which right the account in question is missing.

    One common reason for this is you are logged in with a local account rather
    than a domain account. The account name might be identical to a domain
    account, but the accounts are tracked by SIDs, not names.

    --
    Gregory A. Beamer
    MVP; MCP: +I, SE, SD, DBA

    | Think outside the box! |

    Cowboy \(Gregory A. Beamer\), May 18, 2009