Visual Studio 2008 terribly slow in Design view

kcroyals1

Is anyone having the problem where Visual Studio 2008 hangs for
minutes when switching to Design view of an aspx page? I know there's
a hotfix, but it has been no help. My co-worker might have hit on
something that it is related to Office 2007. This is because we have
VS2008 at home with no problems, but we use Office 2003. A co-worker
of ours has the same setup (Office 2003 and VS2008) and has no
problems.

I know Microsoft knows it's an issue, and I've sent some mini dump
files for analyzation, but I am hoping there is a solution sooner than
later.

Thanks for any advice or help.

-robert

jaems

Is anyone having the problem where Visual Studio 2008 hangs for
minutes when switching to Design view of an aspx page? I know there's
a hotfix, but it has been no help. My co-worker might have hit on
something that it is related to Office 2007. This is because we have
VS2008 at home with no problems, but we use Office 2003. A co-worker
of ours has the same setup (Office 2003 and VS2008) and has no
problems.

I know Microsoft knows it's an issue, and I've sent some mini dump
files for analyzation, but I am hoping there is a solution sooner than
later.

Thanks for any advice or help.

-robert

I have this trouble too:

Three things seem to make it worse:

1) ANY Data sets seem to load repeatedly ven if they are not required on
that page
2) ANY xml files on the site are loaded EVERY time I switch to Design view
3) I use a simple master page I made in MS Expression web with 5 buttons
made with the Expression wizard and that takes ages to load

jaez

Peter Bromberg [C# MVP]

Sometimes if you reset all settings, this clears out the settings xml file
and things speed up. Also, not having too many IDE windows open helps. Be
glad you aren't using Windows Vista, dood.
Peter

kcroyals1

I have this trouble too:

Three things seem to make it worse:

1) ANY Data sets seem to load repeatedly ven if they are not required on
that page
2) ANY xml files on the site are loaded EVERY time I switch to Design view
3) I use a simple master page I made in MS Expression web with 5 buttons
made with the Expression wizard  and that takes ages to load

jaez

Is there a way to keep DataSets from loading if they're not needed? We
have dozens of DataSets in the solution.

kcroyals1

"Sometimes if you reset all settings, this clears out the settings xml
file and things speed up."

Peter, how do you "reset all settings"?

I'm willing to try anything. Thanks for any help.

-Robert

Juan T. Llibre

re:
!> how do you "reset all settings"?

"Tools", "Import and Export Settings", "Reset all settings".

kcroyals1

Update...For what it's worth, there is a BETA Service Pack 1 for
VS2008 and 3.5 Framework.

Also, something that actually helped me somewhat, and mayb help
someone else:

(1) Uninstall certain Office2007 components - MS Office Groove, MS
Office InfoPath, Web Themes, and New and Open MSO Document Shortcuts.
To do this, go to Add/Remove Programs and choose CHANGE (not Remove)
for Office 2007. Then choose Add/Remove radio button, then select the
above modules and let the wizard do the rest.
(2) Repair Visual Studio 2008. Put the disc(s) in and choose Repair.

Hope it helps someone...