Visual Studio 6 compile of 2.5.2 fails with missing db.h

Discussion in 'Python' started by brucoder, May 5, 2008.

  1. brucoder

    brucoder Guest

    Hi Folks,

    Searched the archives, but I can only find mention of db.h problems
    relating to Linux.

    I've downloaded the source for 2.5.2 and am trying to compile it in
    Visual Studio 6 (SP6). The error reports read:

    --------------------Configuration: _bsddb - Win32
    Debug--------------------
    Compiling...
    _bsddb.c
    C:\Documents and Settings\Tim\My Documents\Python-2.5.2\Modules
    \_bsddb.c(90) : fatal error C1083: Cannot open include file: 'db.h':
    No such file or directory
    Error executing cl.exe.

    _bsddb_d.pyd - 1 error(s), 0 warning(s)

    Any pointers? A prerequisite that I might be missing? The source is
    the Python-2.5.2.tar.gz from the Python.org site.

    Thanks for any help,
    Tim
    brucoder, May 5, 2008

  2. brucoder

    brucoder Guest

    On May 5, 11:43 am, brucoder <> wrote:
    > Hi Folks,
    >
    > Searched the archives, but I can only find mention of db.h problems relating to Linux.
    >
    > I've downloaded the source for 2.5.2 and am trying to compile it in Visual Studio 6 (SP6).

    I've just stepped back to 2.3.7 and receive the same error when
    compiling bsddb...

    brucoder, May 5, 2008

  3. brucoder schrieb:
    > Any pointers? A prerequisite that I might be missing? The source is
    > the Python-2.5.2.tar.gz from the Python.org site.

    The tar.gz doesn't contain the dependencies like the bsddb files or
    sqlite3, bzip2 and more. You have to download and unpack the correct
    versions into the correct folder. Please read PCbuild/readme.txt

    Christian
    Christian Heimes, May 5, 2008
  4. brucoder

    brucoder Guest

    On May 5, 1:46 pm, Christian Heimes <> wrote:
    > brucoder schrieb:
    >
    > > Any pointers?  A prerequisite that I might be missing?  The source is
    > > the Python-2.5.2.tar.gz from the Python.org site.

    > The tar.gz doesn't contain the dependencies like the bsddb files or
    > sqlite3, bzip2 and more. You have to download and unpack the correct
    > versions into the correct folder. Please read PCbuild/readme.txt

    I had read that, but I misunderstood that not all components must be
    built. Since I don't need that functionality, I now see that I can
    simply exclude it from my lib and exe builds.

    Thanks,
    Tim
    brucoder, May 5, 2008