    Please help
    thanks
    Adam

    Adam Sawyer, Jul 22, 2003

  2. [OT] Re: Visual Studio 6 on Win XP ...?

    "Adam Sawyer" <> wrote in message
    > Hi I'm having trouble getting Visual Studio 6 Enterprise (C++) to work on

    my
    > Win XP Pro (SP 1 - latest .NET framework). Whenever I try to compile a C
    > program, it just hangs, cancel build doesn't work, and I have to run Task
    > Manager to exit C++. I haven't installed any service packs for Visual
    > Studio, thinking I wouldn't need them until I started programming more
    > heavily. On the installation it mentioned debug symbols for Win NT, which

    > wasn't sure if I needed or not, so I ran it, but it wouldn't install
    > properly saying files were missing off the CD, and there was an

    incompatible

    ?
    > I tried removing memory resident programs to see if it would help, but it
    > made no difference.
    > I'm unsure if there's compatibility issues between VS 6 (Ent) and XP

    (Pro),
    > so I'm calling on your experience to help me resolve this frustrating

    issue.
    > I haven't tried visual basic or any other part of visual studio yet, and
    > when I installed, I did full install minus FoxPro and SourceSafe.

    I run VS6sp5 (VC, VB and SourceSafe), VS.Net 2002 (full) and VS.Net 2003
    (full) on a WinXP Pro sp1 machine and it all runs fine. I would suspect
    that the messages you got whilst installing may be relevant (outside chance
    of a dirty or scratched CD-ROM?).

    Your best bet is to ask in a Visual Studio newsgroup on the Microsoft public
    news server.

    Paul

    Paul Thompson, Jul 22, 2003