    enterprise level.

    Thanks for any thoughts,
    cpp
    cppaddict, Oct 15, 2003

  2. cppaddict

    Noah Roberts Guest

    cppaddict wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I'm trying to figure out which version of Visual Studio .NET to buy.
    > Ebay has some listings for the academic version, and it's MUCH cheaper than
    > the regular version.
    > What are the drawbacks?

    It only runs on windows. Its huge, clunky, and slow.

    > Also, what about the 2002 version vs 2003 version, profession vs regular.
    > I've looked at the feature list but I'm looking for a bottom line idea about
    > what to get from someone who knows.
    > I will be using it to develop my own Windows applications. Nothing huge or
    > enterprise level.
    >
    > Thanks for any thoughts,

    Try asking in a windows newsgroup.
    Noah Roberts, Oct 15, 2003

  3. cppaddict

    Moonlit Guest

    Hi,

    "cppaddict" <> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > I'm trying to figure out which version of Visual Studio .NET to buy.
    > Ebay has some listings for the academic version, and it's MUCH cheaper

    than

    Academic, I believe you cannot create executables with it. In any case you
    are not allowed to distribute your programs
    > the regular version.

    What is the regular version standard or enterprise?
    Standard (About 140 Euro's). You are allowed to distribute your program, it
    can create executables (naturally). No optimizations and lacking some
    database stuff.

    Enterprise, mucho money but has it all.

    > What are the drawbacks?
    >
    > Also, what about the 2002 version vs 2003 version, profession vs regular.

    I think the 2003 has less bugs. For me the VC6.0 was good enough, but
    templates weren't to well supported it seems (see my previous thread about
    spirit). I would personally always buy the latest.

    > I've looked at the feature list but I'm looking for a bottom line idea

    about
    > what to get from someone who knows.
    > I will be using it to develop my own Windows applications. Nothing huge

    or

    If you mainly develop winapps for fun like I do (an ocasional business app
    here and there). Then I would go for the standard edition.

    If you making money purely by writing winapps go for enterprise.

    > enterprise level.
    >
    > Thanks for any thoughts,
    > cpp

    I think you should buy standard 2003.

    Your mileage may vary of course

    Regards, Ron AF Greve.
    Moonlit, Oct 15, 2003
  4. cppaddict

    Unforgiven Guest

    cppaddict wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I'm trying to figure out which version of Visual Studio .NET to buy.
    > Ebay has some listings for the academic version, and it's MUCH
    > cheaper than the regular version.
    > What are the drawbacks?

    Not much that I'm aware of. You're not allowed by license to use it for
    commercial purposes. You're also not allowed to use it unless you're a
    student at a facility that has a MSDN Academic Alliance contract with
    Microsoft.

    What do you mean by regular? Visual C++ Standard is not that expensive, but
    it's only VC, not the whole of Visual Studio (which VS Academic is), and it
    has a non-optimising C++ compiler (I'm not sure if the Academic version
    comes with the optimising compiler though). Professional and upward are very
    expensive.

    > Also, what about the 2002 version vs 2003 version, profession vs
    > regular. I've looked at the feature list but I'm looking for a bottom
    > line idea about what to get from someone who knows.
    > I will be using it to develop my own Windows applications. Nothing
    > huge or enterprise level.

    For C++ the difference is quite big. The 2003 compiler is much more ISO
    compliant than the 2002 compiler. In fact, it's one of the most compliant
    compilers out there. VS.NET 2003 also got rid of some annoying bugs, and is
    generally *much* faster than 2002.

    --
    Unforgiven

    A: Top Posting!
    Unforgiven, Oct 15, 2003
  5. cppaddict

    Unforgiven Guest

    Moonlit wrote:
    > Academic, I believe you cannot create executables with it. In any
    > case you are not allowed to distribute your programs

    Of course you can create executables with it. Otherwise, what's the point?
    You wouldn't be able to run anything you write.

    --
    Unforgiven

    A: Top Posting!
    Unforgiven, Oct 15, 2003
  6. cppaddict

    Moonlit Guest

    Hi,

    "Unforgiven" <> wrote in message
    > Moonlit wrote:
    > > Academic, I believe you cannot create executables with it. In any
    > > case you are not allowed to distribute your programs

    > Of course you can create executables with it. Otherwise, what's the point?
    > You wouldn't be able to run anything you write.

    Apparently you are right. You are not allowed to distribute them though. (I
    thought I saw that at one time). Well you could certainly create something
    that would run in the IDE and not as stand alone.

    I found a page here that compares them (although I am quite sure at one time
    I encountered another page that was much clearer, also the standard edition
    is missing from this page?)

    So for the OP.

    http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/d...s/vsintro7/html/vxoriVisualStudioEditions.asp

    There are also other pages (even unclearer).

    > --
    > Unforgiven
    >
    > A: Top Posting!
    > Q: What is the most annoying thing on Usenet?

    Wrong, The answer is newsgroup spamming ;-)

    Regards, Ron AF Greve.

    Moonlit, Oct 18, 2003