visual studio - academic VS regular

cppaddict

Hi,

I'm trying to figure out which version of Visual Studio .NET to buy.
Ebay has some listings for the academic version, and it's MUCH cheaper than
the regular version.
What are the drawbacks?

Also, what about the 2002 version vs 2003 version, profession vs regular.
I've looked at the feature list but I'm looking for a bottom line idea about
what to get from someone who knows.
I will be using it to develop my own Windows applications. Nothing huge or
enterprise level.

Thanks for any thoughts,
cpp

Noah Roberts

cppaddict said:
Hi,

I'm trying to figure out which version of Visual Studio .NET to buy.
Ebay has some listings for the academic version, and it's MUCH cheaper than
the regular version.
What are the drawbacks?

It only runs on windows. Its huge, clunky, and slow.
Also, what about the 2002 version vs 2003 version, profession vs regular.
I've looked at the feature list but I'm looking for a bottom line idea about
what to get from someone who knows.
I will be using it to develop my own Windows applications. Nothing huge or
enterprise level.

Thanks for any thoughts,

Try asking in a windows newsgroup.

Moonlit

Hi,

cppaddict said:
Hi,

I'm trying to figure out which version of Visual Studio .NET to buy.
Ebay has some listings for the academic version, and it's MUCH cheaper
than

Academic, I believe you cannot create executables with it. In any case you
are not allowed to distribute your programs
the regular version.

What is the regular version standard or enterprise?
Standard (About 140 Euro's). You are allowed to distribute your program, it
can create executables (naturally). No optimizations and lacking some
database stuff.

Enterprise, mucho money but has it all.
What are the drawbacks?

Also, what about the 2002 version vs 2003 version, profession vs regular.
I think the 2003 has less bugs. For me the VC6.0 was good enough, but
templates weren't to well supported it seems (see my previous thread about
spirit). I would personally always buy the latest.
I've looked at the feature list but I'm looking for a bottom line idea about
what to get from someone who knows.
I will be using it to develop my own Windows applications. Nothing huge
or

If you mainly develop winapps for fun like I do (an ocasional business app
here and there). Then I would go for the standard edition.

If you making money purely by writing winapps go for enterprise.

enterprise level.

Thanks for any thoughts,
cpp
I think you should buy standard 2003.

Your mileage may vary of course

Regards, Ron AF Greve.

Unforgiven

cppaddict said:
Hi,

I'm trying to figure out which version of Visual Studio .NET to buy.
Ebay has some listings for the academic version, and it's MUCH
cheaper than the regular version.
What are the drawbacks?

Not much that I'm aware of. You're not allowed by license to use it for
commercial purposes. You're also not allowed to use it unless you're a
student at a facility that has a MSDN Academic Alliance contract with
Microsoft.

What do you mean by regular? Visual C++ Standard is not that expensive, but
it's only VC, not the whole of Visual Studio (which VS Academic is), and it
has a non-optimising C++ compiler (I'm not sure if the Academic version
comes with the optimising compiler though). Professional and upward are very
expensive.
Also, what about the 2002 version vs 2003 version, profession vs
regular. I've looked at the feature list but I'm looking for a bottom
line idea about what to get from someone who knows.
I will be using it to develop my own Windows applications. Nothing
huge or enterprise level.

For C++ the difference is quite big. The 2003 compiler is much more ISO
compliant than the 2002 compiler. In fact, it's one of the most compliant
compilers out there. VS.NET 2003 also got rid of some annoying bugs, and is
generally *much* faster than 2002.

Unforgiven

Moonlit said:
Academic, I believe you cannot create executables with it. In any
case you are not allowed to distribute your programs

Of course you can create executables with it. Otherwise, what's the point?
You wouldn't be able to run anything you write.

Moonlit

Hi,

Unforgiven said:
Of course you can create executables with it. Otherwise, what's the point?
You wouldn't be able to run anything you write.

Apparently you are right. You are not allowed to distribute them though. (I
thought I saw that at one time). Well you could certainly create something
that would run in the IDE and not as stand alone.

I found a page here that compares them (although I am quite sure at one time
I encountered another page that was much clearer, also the standard edition
is missing from this page?)

So for the OP.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/d...s/vsintro7/html/vxoriVisualStudioEditions.asp

There are also other pages (even unclearer).

--
Unforgiven

A: Top Posting!

Wrong, The answer is newsgroup spamming ;-)

Regards, Ron AF Greve.