Visual Studio cannot create or open the application because the Web server on this computer is not r

Roberto Rocco

Whenever I try to create a new ASP Web Page I get this message :

"Visual Studio cannot create or open the application because the Web server
on this computer is not running. Start the Web server before proceeding."

Well, looking at my services I find that both WWW Publishing Services and
IIS are started.
I also successfully restarted both of them, but still keep getting the error
message.

I also did a successful re-registering of aspnet_isapi.dll using
aspnet_regiis -i and regsvr32 aspnet_isapi.dll.
But: Still the same error-message...

I finally deactivated my Windows firewall (I'm running Windows XP SP 2).
Again with no success.

Now I ran out of ideas...

Can anybody give me a hint?

Thanks in advance,

Roberto Rocco.

Gavin Chapman

Open the IIS MMC under Web Site Properties/Home Directory Tab, check that
Application Protection level. Try running the web site in Low (IIS Process)
level.

Roberto Rocco

Hello Gavin,

thank you for your reply. I made a little progress, but still having
problems:
Here's my status:

Following your suggestion I opened the IIS MMC under Web Site
Properties/Home Directory Tab and checked the
Application Protection level. It was set to "middle". I set it to low and
with this setting I can access simple html with localhost.
BUT: I still cannot enter http://localhost or create an new ASP project.

BTW: After restarting the IIS the protection level wa set back to middle! Do
I have to do something else to make the setting permanent?

Finally, I looked at the event log and actually there's an error entry
saying:
"Event-ID 7034: The COM+ System Application service terminated unexpectedly.
It has done this 3 time(s)."

So might the COM+ System Application Servive be the reason? Or is the event
log entry misleading here?

May thanks in advance for every hint,

Roberto Rocco.