Visual Studio Closes Unexpectedly

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Johnson, Nov 4, 2008.

  1. Johnson

    Johnson Guest

    I'm not sure if this is an IIS 5.1 issue or ASP.NET issue, or Visual Studio
    2008 issue -- thus posting to 3 groups. Please don't be offended.

    The problem I'm encountering is that Visual Studio closes unexpectedly and
    without any error message being displayed, or error messages written to the
    system logs. Visual Studio closes when I attempt to open an ASP.NET Web
    application (not Web site) solution for which IIS is set as the project's
    Web server. If I switch the project to use the built-in Web server, then
    Visual Studio opens with no problem.

    How to reproduce.
    1. Open Visual Studio 2008 pro to an empty IDE (no solution or project
    opened)
    2. Create a new ASP.NET Web application project (not Web site).
    3. Add some text to default.aspx (e.g., "hello world").
    4. Build and run the project (F5).
    You will see default.aspx open, displaying the text you entered.
    5. Stop debugging (close browser, tell Visual Studio to stop debugging).
    6. Open the project's properties, go to the Web tab, and
    select the radio button for "Use Local IIS Web server"
    7. Save your changes and close the properties page.
    If prompted to create the IIS Web site, agree to do so.
    This happens only the first time you are doing this.
    You can open the IIS console and see that this step has succeeded.
    8. Build and run the project. It all works just fine.
    9. Close Visual Studio.
    10 Reboot the machine (or not - doesn't matter, I've tried both ways here)
    11. Open Visual Studio to empty dev environment (no solution or project
    opened).
    12. Open the ASP.NET Web application project created in Step 2 above.
    At this point Visual Studio will just close (disappear from the
    screen, with
    no error message appearing - it's just gone).
    13. Navigate to the .csproj file and open it in notepad (NOT in Visual
    Studio).
    Find the <UseIIS> element, and change the value from True to False, so
    it looks like this: <UseIIS>False</UseIIS>
    14. Now try to open the project again (do steps 11 and 12 again).
    This time it opens just fine (no error message).

    My development box is configured as such: XP Pro/SP3 with IIS installed and
    verified to be running just fine; Visual Studio 2008 Professional with
    Service Pack 1. This is a brand new image. I zeroed out the hard drive plus
    partitioned and plus formatted it before and installing a fresh copy of XP
    Pro. I have installed all of the latest updates and patches from Windows
    Update. I have installed .NET Framework 3.5 + it's SP1. None of this
    apparently matters, though, because the problem described above happened on
    the old image (before I zeroed out the hard drive, formatted, it, and
    reinstalled everything). The old image had XP Pro sP2 and Visual Studio 2008
    Pro with no SP. Now with everything reinstalled from scratch, it's still
    doing this. It's actually a bit worse, because every other time,
    approximately, that I try to run the application using the built-in Web
    server, the IDE crashes with an error message stating that Visual Studio was
    unable to connect to the built-in Web server.

    Any ideas or suggestions for resolution? I don't want to reimage, as doing
    so apparently has no effect on this problem.

    Thanks.

    Johnson, Nov 4, 2008

  2. Johnson

    David Wang Guest

    On Nov 3, 9:48 pm, "Johnson" <> wrote:
> [...]
    > Pro. I have installed all of the latest updates and patches from Windows
    > Update. I have installed .NET Framework 3.5 + it's SP1. None of this
    > apparently matters, though, because the problem described above happened on
    > the old image (before I zeroed out the hard drive, formatted, it, and
    > reinstalled everything). The old image had XP Pro sP2 and Visual Studio 2008
    > Pro with no SP. Now with everything reinstalled from scratch, it's still
    > doing this. It's actually a bit worse, because every other time,
    > approximately, that I try to run the application using the built-in Web
    > server, the IDE crashes with an error message stating that Visual Studio was
    > unable to connect to the built-in Web server.
    >
    > Any ideas or suggestions for resolution? I don't want to reimage, as doing
    > so apparently has no effect on this problem.

    Thanks for coming up with the detailed repro steps. This sounds like a
    fantastic bug to file against Visual Studio, perhaps via a route like
    Microsoft Connect. Or contacting Microsoft PSS since clearly the crash
    is in a Microsoft product.

    Only by digging into the crash dump of Visual Studio can one figure
    out if the issue is actually caused by VS, ASP.Net, IIS, or something
    else. But first investigation has to start with Visual Studio since it
    is the program that is crashing and generating the crash dump.

    //David
    http://w3-4u.blogspot.com
    http://blogs.msdn.com/David.Wang
    //

    David Wang, Nov 4, 2008

  3. Johnson

    Johnson Guest

    For those interested in the resolution: The cause of this exotic problem is
    that my antivirus software (Panda Antivirus 2008) was loading one of it's
    dlls (pavlsp.dll) into the process along with devenv.exe (Visual Studio) and
    causing the process to crash. Merely disabling Panda Antivirus was not
    sufficient to cause the problem to go away. Instead, I uninstalled it (using
    Panda's own uninstall utility) and then the problem went away entirely
    (i.e,. Visual Studio would no longer fail as described in the OP).

    The way I discovered that pavlsp.dll was crashing the process was through
    the assistance of some very helpful Microsoft support folks. They installed
    DebugDiag 1.1 (Debug Diagnostics Tool) onto the computer. That utility then
    created some enormous log files (apparentlyl logs of all memory access) and
    then had me upload them for further analysis. Those logs showed pavlsp.dll
    as the problem here. Visual Studio was not, itself, choking in any way.

    - HTH

    Johnson, Nov 6, 2008
  4. Johnson

    David Wang Guest

    Glad to hear of your resolution.

    Yes, using a tool like DebugDiag is a generally helpful
    troubleshooting step, especially when you can reproduce a crash/hang/
    issue reliably. At that point, a debugger can make short work of
    determining the issue's culprit.

    The file you uploaded is likely the memory dump file resulting from
    the crash. DebugDiag's human-readable report is based on heuristic
    analysis of the memory dump file, but a trained person can usually
    make better sense/recommendation of that same memory dump.

    David Wang, Nov 6, 2008