Visual Studio hangs while debugging. Please help!

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Martin Odhelius, Dec 12, 2005.

  1. Hello,

    I have a very fustrating problems while debugging ASP.NET applications.
    When I am debugging and stepping thru code (with F10 or F11) Visual
    Studio some times suddenly just stop responding and the only way get it
    up and running again is to kill the aspnet_wp.exe process. When the
    debugger hangs there is almost no CPU load, so it doesn't seem to be any
    hidden eternal loop or anything like that. I have tried to reinstall IIS
    and .NET Framework, and before that I have also run aspnet_regiis
    several times but without luck. The code is compiled for .NET 1.1 and
    the Web Site is configured to run under framework v1.1.4322. This
    behaviour happens in several different projects, so it is not bound to
    any specific code. I have just choosen to debug CLR-code. I have no
    active watches that is slowing down the debugging. I've also tried to
    debug in both VS2003 as well as in VS2005 (by attaching to the
    aspnet_wp.exe process) but I get the same result, even if it semms to
    happen much less often in VS2005. And btw, I have no antivirus programs
    installed. I'm going crazy on this, please help!

    Best Regards
    Martin

    Martin Odhelius, Dec 12, 2005

  2. There can be a lot if reasons why this is happening:
    - great number of old brakepoints in the code
    - script debuging enabled
    - exceptions in other modules

    What you can do is:
    - check breakepoints
    - disable script debugging
    - turn on CLR exceptions handling in order to see if the code runs without
    exception
    - watch in the output window, what modules are loaded and what exceptions
    are being thrown...

    --
    Vadym Stetsyak aka Vadmyst
    http://vadmyst.blogspot.com

    Vadym Stetsyak, Dec 12, 2005

  3. Thank you for your reply!
    I've cleared all breakpoints and often has only one or two breakpoints
    when this happens, script debugging is disabled, I only debugg CLR-code.
    There is no other exceptions thrown in any other module.
    I can also say that this is only happening on my computer, when we run
    the same projects on other developers machines we do not experience this
    problem. And as I said befor, it happens in several different projects
    so it doesn't seems to be related to any specific code.

    Best regards
    Martin

    Martin Odhelius, Dec 12, 2005
  4. You mean that in some projects debugger hangs & in some doesn't? What are
    the projects is there smth special with em?

    If this is so, maybe total rebuild of your assembly dependacies will help?

    Vadym Stetsyak, Dec 12, 2005
  5. On my computer I have this problem on all aspnet projects. I have about
    10 different solutions not attached to eachother and the same problems
    in all of them. I have had this problem for several months now.
    Rebuilding doesn't help. We do not have this problem on other computers
    though, just on mine... I'm not eager to reinstall the whole OS but as
    it seems now that is the only option I have... :(

    Martin Odhelius, Dec 12, 2005
  6. Hi Martin,

    Please check my post on a similar issue and the reply with a link to a
    hotfix. You may try it. It fixes the freezes if you are in a C# environment
    (according to the documentation).
    --
    BabuMan

    =?Utf-8?B?QmFidU1hbg==?=, Dec 13, 2005
  7. Thank you for the reply! But it doesn't seem to be the same bug, cause
    when this is happening for me the CPU load is close to zero and it also
    happens in both VS2003 aswell as in VS2005.

    Martin Odhelius, Dec 19, 2005
  8. Martin Odhelius

    adv

    Joined:
    Mar 11, 2009
    Messages:
    1
    Hello,

    did you find any solution to this issue?
    I'm experimenting the same problem: Visual Studio 2008 hangs while debugging.

    When this happens I have to:
    - close the application
    - wait several seconds before Visual Studio 2008 awakes and I can interact with it

    It seems to be specific to my PC (same solution on other PC debugs fine).
    Visual Studio 2008 is configured to disable most of the Debug options...
    CPU usage is low...

    Thanks!

    adv, Mar 11, 2009