Visual Studio keeps adding Oracle assemblies to web.config

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by gnewsgroup, Apr 16, 2008.

  1. gnewsgroup

    gnewsgroup Guest

    I searched around, but could not find out why and how to stop this.

    Ever since I installed Oracle 11g on my machine, Visual Studio will
    automatically add the following oracle assemblies into my web.config
    each time I compile my web application.

    <assemblies>
    .... ...
    <add assembly="System.Data.OracleClient, Version=2.0.0.0,
    Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=B77A5C561934E089"/>
    <add assembly="Oracle.DataAccess, Version=2.111.6.0,
    Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=89B483F429C47342"/>
    <assemblies>

    I am not using Oracle for my application at all. So, I had to remove
    it manually from web.config after each compile.

    Oracle services are configured not to run automatically because it
    uses a lot of memory. In other words, none of the oracle components
    is running as far as know.

    Any idea why this happens, and how to stop VS 2005 from adding it to
    web.config? Thank you.

    gnewsgroup, Apr 16, 2008

  2. It is a change Oracle made to the way VS handles things. If they are added
    up front and not again, it is the templates, which you can alter yourself.

    If it keeps adding, it is in one of the VS bits stored under your profile
    (or all users profile) and you will have to hack there to get rid of it.

    I wish I could point you to the precise location, but I cannot. I can only
    give you a clue. Good luck!

    --
    Gregory A. Beamer
    MVP, MCP: +I, SE, SD, DBA

    Subscribe to my blog

    or just read it:
    http://gregorybeamer.spaces.live.com/

    Cowboy \(Gregory A. Beamer\), Apr 16, 2008

  3. gnewsgroup

    gnewsgroup Guest

    On Apr 16, 1:02 pm, "Cowboy \(Gregory A. Beamer\)"
    <> wrote:
    > It is a change Oracle made to the way VS handles things. If they are added
    > up front and not again, it is the templates, which you can alter yourself.
    >
    > If it keeps adding, it is in one of the VS bits stored under your profile
    > (or all users profile) and you will have to hack there to get rid of it.
    >
    > I wish I could point you to the precise location, but I cannot. I can only
    > give you a clue. Good luck!
    >
    > --
    > Gregory A. Beamer
    > MVP, MCP: +I, SE, SD, DBA
    >
    > Subscribe to my bloghttp://gregorybeamer.spaces.live.com/lists/feed.rss
    >
    > or just read it:http://gregorybeamer.spaces.live.com/

    > | Think outside the box!
    > |
    > *************************************************"

    Thank you very much for the hint, I just went to my user profile
    folders and haven't anything. Will keep trying.

    gnewsgroup, Apr 16, 2008
  4. gnewsgroup

    gnewsgroup Guest

    On Apr 16, 1:07 pm, "Patrice" <http://www.chez.com/scribe/> wrote:
    > Have you checked the "project properties" window to see if they are in the
    > "references" list ? Not sure as it looks like this is done automatically for
    > you but perhaps worth checking ?
    >
    > --
    > Patrice

    Thanks for the hint. Following your advice, I did check the bin
    folder and didn't find anything Oracleish. I also didn't spot any
    Oracle bits in a few projects which my web application refers to,
    particularly in the References folder of those projects.

    gnewsgroup, Apr 16, 2008