Visual Studio.NET 2003, Norton Internnet Security 2005 & debugging

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Mark Rae, Oct 17, 2005.

  1. Mark Rae

    Mark Rae Guest

    Hi,

    Is anyone else experiencing a problem with VS.NET 2003 & Norton Internet
    Security 2005, specifically when debugging?

    More and more often when I'm debugging an ASPX page, the code breaks on the
    following JavaScript function:

    function SymOnLoad()
    {
    if(SymRealOnLoad != null)
    SymRealOnLoad(); // code breaks here
    window.open = SymRealWinOpen;
    SymRealOnUnload = window.onunload;
    window.onunload = SymOnUnload;
    }

    The error message is:
    Microsoft JScript runtime error: Function expected

    If I drag the next execution line down to the closing bracket, the page
    loads normally.

    This piece of JavaScript is automatically inserted into HTML pages by Norton
    Internet Security 2005, but the problem only exhibits itself in Debug mode -
    in Release mode or running the site "natively" i.e. through a browser not
    within VS.NET, this doesn't happen. I've not really found anything useful
    about this through a Google search. Has anyone else seen this strange
    behaviour?

    Any assistance gratefully received.

    Mark

    Mark Rae, Oct 17, 2005

  2. Mark, shouldn't you have another set of brackets around your "if" statement?
    The script may be confused... Just something to try.

    function SymOnLoad()
    {
    if(SymRealOnLoad != null){
    SymRealOnLoad(); // code breaks here
    }
    window.open = SymRealWinOpen;
    SymRealOnUnload = window.onunload;
    window.onunload = SymOnUnload;

    Sincerely,

    S. Justin Gengo, MCP
    Web Developer / Programmer

    www.aboutfortunate.com

    "Out of chaos comes order."
    Nietzsche

    S. Justin Gengo, Oct 17, 2005

  3. Mark Rae

    Mark Rae Guest

    "S. Justin Gengo" <justin@[no_spam_please]aboutfortunate.com> wrote in
    message news:...

    > Mark, shouldn't you have another set of brackets around your "if"
    > statement? The script may be confused... Just something to try.

    Please re-read my original post, specifically the bit which says...

    Mark Rae, Oct 17, 2005
  4. Mark,

    Sorry, I missed that.

    Searching the internet that code is for the symantec pop-up blocker. It's
    strange because I have pop-up blocking enabled, yet symantec isn't inserting
    this code into any of the sites I've created. Of course, I don't do any
    pop-ups so maybe it doesn't insert the code unless it finds popup code...

    I don't think there is a way to stop the insertion. And, unfortunately I
    have no idea what to do about it while debugging other than to possibly
    comment out any popup code you may be running.

    --
    Sincerely,

    S. Justin Gengo, MCP
    Web Developer / Programmer

    www.aboutfortunate.com

    "Out of chaos comes order."
    Nietzsche

    S. Justin Gengo, Oct 18, 2005
  5. Mark,

    I thought of something right after I said I couldn't think of anything.

    What about adding your site (localhost) to norton as a trusted site?

    --
    Sincerely,

    S. Justin Gengo, MCP
    Web Developer / Programmer

    www.aboutfortunate.com

    "Out of chaos comes order."
    Nietzsche

    S. Justin Gengo, Oct 18, 2005
  6. Mark Rae

    Mark Rae Guest

    "S. Justin Gengo" <justin@[no_spam_please]aboutfortunate.com> wrote in
    message news:O8sI1I$...

    > Searching the internet that code is for the symantec pop-up blocker.

    Correct.

    > I don't think there is a way to stop the insertion.

    Me neither...

    > And, unfortunately I have no idea what to do about it while debugging
    > other than to possibly comment out any popup code you may be running.

    I'm not running any popup code...

    Mark Rae, Oct 18, 2005
  7. Mark Rae

    Mark Rae Guest

    "S. Justin Gengo" <justin@[no_spam_please]aboutfortunate.com> wrote in
    message news:ea5NlK$...

    > I thought of something right after I said I couldn't think of anything.
    >
    > What about adding your site (localhost) to norton as a trusted site?

    Already did - made no difference...

    Mark Rae, Oct 18, 2005