Visual Studio .NET development environment

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by =?Utf-8?B?ZGF2aWQ=?=, Oct 24, 2007.

  1. Last week I asked a question about connection to database from client machine
    (developer machine). There are two types of security setup for SQL Server
    database: Windows only and "SQL
    Server and Windows" under (local)Windows NT node of Enterprise Manager.

    -----
    First, I set the database security as "SQL
    Server and Windows" under (local)Windows NT node of Enterprise Manager.
    However, I could not setup a database connection to Server from Client using
    Server Explorer of Visual Studio 2005. The detail is in the following.

    Configuration of server and client:

    Server: Windows Server 2000, SQL Server 2000
    Authentication method: Active Directory Users and Computers (It is my first
    time to use it)
    User acount MyName with Admin role
    User in database: domainName\MyName
    SQL Server database security setup: "SQL Server and Windows" under
    (local)Windows NT node

    Client: Windows XP pro, Visual Studio 2005 pro

    Operation for database connection on client side:

    1. Open Server Explorer on Visual Studio.
    2. Add connection
    3. Select Microsoft SQL Server and Continue
    4. Select Server name: Server computer name
    5. Select "use SQL Server authentication"
    6. Type in User Name: "DomainName\MyName" or "MyName" (either not work!)
    7. Type in User password: my windows server password
    8. Test Connection
    9. Error message: Login fails for user 'MyName' (or 'DomainName\MyName')

    ----
    Second, I set the database security (Authentication) as "Windows Only".
    Operation for database connection on client side:
    Case 1: Select "use Windows authentication"
    1. Open Server Explorer on Visual Studio.
    2. Add connection
    3. Select Microsoft SQL Server and Continue
    4. Select Server name: Server computer name
    5. Select "use Windows authentication"
    6. Test Connection
    7. Error message: Login failed for user '(null)' , Reason:not associated
    with a trusted SQL Server Connection.
    NOTE: I can not type in any userID and password (grey). In Advanced, I can
    not type in userID and password either.

    Case 2: Select "use SQL Server authentication"
    1. Open Server Explorer on Visual Studio.
    2. Add connection
    3. Select Microsoft SQL Server and Continue
    4. Select Server name: Server computer name
    5. Select "use SQL Server authentication"
    6. Type in User Name: "MyName"
    7. Type in User password: my windows server password
    8. Test Connection
    9. Error message: Login failed for user 'MyName' , Reason:not associated
    with a trusted SQL Server Connection.

    Thanks for any help

    David
    =?Utf-8?B?ZGF2aWQ=?=, Oct 24, 2007