"Visual Studio.NET has detected that the specified web server is not running"

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Mike Kingscott, May 4, 2004.

  1. Hi all,

    Ok, I'm running Windows 2000, service pack 4. I have .Net framework
    installed, version 1.1.4322, I'm running IIS 5.0. When I try to open a
    solution that was opening just dandy last week, I get the error
    "Visual Studio .NET has detected that the specified Web server is not
    running ASP.NET version 1.1"

    I HAVE ALREADY TRIED RUNNING aspnet_regiis -i (SEVERAL TIMES) WITH
    *NO* LUCK

    I HAVE ALREADY CHECKED THE MAPPINGS FOR THE .NET FILES AND THEY'RE
    FINE.

    I *CAN* SURF TO http://localhost

    Any other suggestions? The odd thing is, I have several sites set up
    on my server, all running off different ports - they open fine. It's
    just my standard port (port 80) and another port (815) that gives this
    error, all other sites open fine.

    Help me, Obi Wan, you're my only hope... ;-)

    Kind regards,

    Mike Kingscott

    Mike Kingscott, May 4, 2004

  2. Mike Kingscott

    CT Guest

    Have you by any chance set the default redirection (defaultRedirect
    attribute) in the customErrors tag of the Web.config file? If so, that
    creates this poroblem, I'm afraid.

    --
    Carsten Thomsen
    Enterprise Development with VS .NET, UML, and MSF

    CT, May 4, 2004

  3. Hi there,

    Yes, I had set that... That may have been the problem, but I did a
    re-install of the Visual Studio .Net's Web Development bits, and that
    seems to have solved the problem...

    Although, I'd be real interested in learning why defaultRedirect
    stuffs it up...

    Kind regards,

    Mike K.

    Mike Kingscott, May 4, 2004
  4. Mike Kingscott

    defiant42

    Joined:
    Aug 21, 2007
    Messages:
    1
    Try Running aspnet_regiis -r

    Got the same thing after I re-installed VS2003 and tried to create a new web-site from scratch. Ran aspnet_regiis to reset any all entries to this version of ASP.NET. It worked!

    defiant42, Aug 21, 2007