    operating system now available, even if the nine-year-old CD is still
    readable. Do any ASP development/authoring tools still exist that can be
    used on new machines?
    CB, Jan 31, 2008

  2. "CB" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > I know it's a bit like drawing on a cave wall with a charred stick, but I
    > have ASP web applications in production. I use Visual Studio 6 and

    Windows
    > Server 2000 as a local development platform to maintain and extend them.

    > was needing to get a new computer, and wondered:
    >
    > Do newer versions of Visual Studio even handle vbscript and plain old ASP
    > anymore?
    >
    > I am not sure if my old Visual Studio 6 would even install on a newer
    > operating system now available, even if the nine-year-old CD is still
    > readable. Do any ASP development/authoring tools still exist that can be
    > used on new machines?

    VS2005 and 2008 still support ASP and VBScript coding. VS 6 will install
    fine on Windows 2003 server or XP SP2, I've not tried it on Vista but I
    can't think why it wouldn't work.

    If you production asp apps are running in IIS 5.0 and IIS 6.0 I would
    recommend you use XP or 2003 server as an OS, Vista comes with IIS7 and
    whilst that should still run ASP fine it does takes you some distance away
    from what your production servers are actually using.

    --
    Anthony Jones - MVP ASP/ASP.NET
    Anthony Jones, Jan 31, 2008