Visual Studio Pro Edition and VWD Express Editions on the same machine

Andrew Robinson

My main dev machine has WinXp and VS2005 (pro).

1. I need to install VWD Express Edition so that I can do some instruction
on this. Any issues with both on the same machine. Installation order?

2. Does VWD Express Edition support the idea of Solutions? I coun't figure
out how to create a blank solution which I usually do with VS2005 (and then
add my web site to the solution.)

Thanks,

tdavisjr

There will be no issues. Both will be installed in the c:\Program
Files\Visual Studio 8\

However, VWD would install in C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio
8\Microsoft Visual Web Developer Express Edition - ENU\

Steven Cheng[MSFT]

Hi Andrew,

Welcome to MSDN newsgroup.
As for the VS 2005 pro edition with VWD Express on the same machine, based
on my understanding the Visual Studio 2005 professional edition has
included all the other single express edition like visual web dev express,
visual c# express, visual basic .net express...... So have you used the
full installation of vs 2005 pro? If so you should already have web
application development environement on that server and we don't need to
install another instance of web develper express...

http://msdn.microsoft.com/vstudio/products/vspro/details/default.aspx

Thanks,

Steven Cheng
Microsoft Online Support

Get Secure! www.microsoft.com/security
rights.)

--------------------
| From: "Andrew Robinson" <[email protected]>
| Subject: Visual Studio Pro Edition and VWD Express Editions on the same
machine
| Date: Sun, 8 Jan 2006 19:55:57 -0800
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet
|
| My main dev machine has WinXp and VS2005 (pro).
|

| 1. I need to install VWD Express Edition so that I can do some
instruction
| on this. Any issues with both on the same machine. Installation order?
|

| 2. Does VWD Express Edition support the idea of Solutions? I coun't
figure
| out how to create a blank solution which I usually do with VS2005 (and
then
| add my web site to the solution.)
|

| Thanks,

Andrew Robinson

Steven,

1. I need to demo this product for a group of novices. I realize that VS
2005 Pro does everything that VWD Express does but running the Pro Edition
will not give them a realistic experience.

2. Does VWD Express support Solutions?

Thanks,

-A

Steven Cheng[MSFT]

Thanks for your quick response Andrew,

For VWD Express , it does support a simple solution model for grouping
website projects(sln files and suo files...). However, it is not displayed
by default (you can find sln file for your created websites , by default
under MyDocuments folder....). To make your VWD express always display
solution node in explorer, you can change the setting through the following
setting:

tools--->options

check "Show all settings"

select "Projects and Solutions" node in the left view

and check teh "Always show soluion" option in the right view.... Anyway,
VWD express is a free tool which has very limited functionality compared to
pro or teamsuite edition...

Hope helps. Thanks,

Steven Cheng
Microsoft Online Support

Get Secure! www.microsoft.com/security
rights.)

--------------------
| From: "Andrew Robinson" <[email protected]>
| Subject: Re: Visual Studio Pro Edition and VWD Express Editions on the
same machine
| Date: Sun, 8 Jan 2006 22:51:41 -0800
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet
|
| Steven,
|
| 1. I need to demo this product for a group of novices. I realize that VS
| 2005 Pro does everything that VWD Express does but running the Pro
Edition
| will not give them a realistic experience.
|
| 2. Does VWD Express support Solutions?
|
| Thanks,
|
| -A
|

| | > Hi Andrew,
| >
| > Welcome to MSDN newsgroup.
| > As for the VS 2005 pro edition with VWD Express on the same machine,
based
| > on my understanding the Visual Studio 2005 professional edition has
| > included all the other single express edition like visual web dev
express,
| > visual c# express, visual basic .net express...... So have you used the
| > full installation of vs 2005 pro? If so you should already have web
| > application development environement on that server and we don't need to
| > install another instance of web develper express...
| >
| > http://msdn.microsoft.com/vstudio/products/vspro/details/default.aspx
| >
| > Thanks,
| >
| > Steven Cheng
| > Microsoft Online Support

| > rights.)
| >

| > --------------------
| > | From: "Andrew Robinson" <[email protected]>
| > | Subject: Visual Studio Pro Edition and VWD Express Editions on the
same
| > machine
| > | Date: Sun, 8 Jan 2006 19:55:57 -0800
| > | Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet
| > |
| > | My main dev machine has WinXp and VS2005 (pro).
| > |
| > |
| > | 1. I need to install VWD Express Edition so that I can do some
| > instruction
| > | on this. Any issues with both on the same machine. Installation order?
| > |
| > |
| > | 2. Does VWD Express Edition support the idea of Solutions? I coun't
| > figure
| > | out how to create a blank solution which I usually do with VS2005 (and
| > then
| > | add my web site to the solution.)
| > |
| > |