    EditPlus.

    I may just be too much of a code critic to allow Visual Studio to do
    its job.
    Electrified Research, Oct 11, 2005

  2. I dont use VS for the "Display" mode of the designer but rather for many
    other reasons.
    Intellisense.
    Integration with Source Control.
    Debugger.

    These reasons alone make it a must have, IMNSHO

    --
    Curt Christianson
    site: http://www.darkfalz.com

    =?Utf-8?B?Q3VydF9DIFtNVlBd?=, Oct 11, 2005

  3. I could probably code by hand but the designers in VS 2005 make me so much
    more efficient that I couldn't see trying to type all that code.

    Ken
    Microsoft MVP [ASP.NET]

    Ken Cox [Microsoft MVP], Oct 12, 2005
  4. Electrified Research

    Jon Paal Guest

    There's no substitute for hand coding.

    Faith is so easy, no thought required
    Jon Paal, Oct 12, 2005
  5. > There's no substitute for hand coding.

    There is no substitute for wisdom. Hand-coding is appropriate when
    productivity tools are not available. Productivity tools are invaluable when
    they are available.

    This is not a blanket endorsement of ALL productivity tools. Some GUI tools
    create excessive code. However, even these can often enhance productivity if
    one is competent to tweak the generated code, thus getting the benefit of
    time saved along with efficient/clean code.

    IDEs are designed with productivity in mind. They are designed BY developers
    FOR developers. Features like project and solution templates in Visual
    Studio.Net, for example, write a lot of code for you. After all, if certain
    types of projects require a lot of the same code, why re-type it for every
    project? Visual Studio also has the ability for the developer to create
    his/her own templates, for more specialized types of projects, or for work
    within a certain configuration of developers. With the complexity of class
    libraries like the CLR, Intellisense makes a lot of sense. Only pride would
    prevent one from using it, and pride doesn't pay the bills. It is important
    to solve problems, not to prove one is better than others at solving them.

    In other words, productivity tools are invaluable. We have used them ever
    since our ancestors in ancient times began to create tools, and for the same
    reasons. However, productivity tools will never be a substitute for hard
    work, study, knowledge and imagination. Used wisely, they enable us. When
    they become a substitute for hard work, study, knowledge, and imagination,
    they cripple us.

    > Faith is so easy, no thought required

    "Science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind." -
    Albert Einstein

    --
    HTH,

    Kevin Spencer
    Microsoft MVP
    ..Net Developer
    Ambiguity has a certain quality to it.

    Kevin Spencer, Oct 12, 2005
  6. Electrified Research

    Jon Paal Guest

    That's why there are so many nice text editors to help hand coding

    If you want religion to be the law of the land, move to Iran
    Jon Paal, Oct 12, 2005
  7. Hard Coding nah way

    Patrick.O.Ige, Oct 13, 2005
  8. I must admit that I would never hand code a Windows Application, but an
    ASPX page is another story.
    Electrified Research, Oct 27, 2005
  9. I live in a 2-story building. It used to be a 3-story building, but that's
    another story.

    --
    ;-),

    Kevin Spencer