visual studio web application rookie questions

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Bob Garbados, Dec 30, 2004.

  1. Bob Garbados

    Bob Garbados Guest

    I've been developing asp.net web apps for a year using Dreamweaver MX, and
    we finally
    purchased vs.net 03. I'm stumbling around trying to use the IDE and I
    have a few questions... maybe someone could point me to a good
    tutorial or book but I haven't found what I'm looking for yet.

    1) When I create a new web app project, does it have to be in my
    inetpub/wwwroot folder? Can I create a virtual host in IIS and put the
    project in my c:\dvl\webapps folder?

    2) How do I add a .net dll component to the project? I used to just
    compile the component from the command line, put the dll in the web
    app's bin directory, and add the imports statement to my page's
    code... now this method doesn't seem to be working and I'm assuming I
    have to associate the component with the project or solution in some way.
    Does the component have to be a class library project in the solution or can
    it be part of the same project?

    thanks.

    Bob Garbados, Dec 30, 2004

  2. "Bob Garbados" <> wrote in message
    > I've been developing asp.net web apps for a year using Dreamweaver MX, and
    > we finally
    > purchased vs.net 03. I'm stumbling around trying to use the IDE and I
    > have a few questions... maybe someone could point me to a good
    > tutorial or book but I haven't found what I'm looking for yet.
    >
    > 1) When I create a new web app project, does it have to be in my
    > inetpub/wwwroot folder? Can I create a virtual host in IIS and put the
    > project in my c:\dvl\webapps folder?

    No. What I always do is create the web project folder wherever I want. I
    then right-click the folder in Windows Explorer and choose Properties. On
    the Web Sharing tab, I web-share the folder with the default name. I then
    create the web application with VS.NET, which now knows where to put the
    project.

    > 2) How do I add a .net dll component to the project? I used to just
    > compile the component from the command line, put the dll in the web
    > app's bin directory, and add the imports statement to my page's
    > code... now this method doesn't seem to be working and I'm assuming I
    > have to associate the component with the project or solution in some way.
    > Does the component have to be a class library project in the solution or
    > can
    > it be part of the same project?

    You reference another DLL by using Add Reference.

    You want it to be a separate project, though it may or may not be part of
    the same solution. If it is part of the same solution, you can add a Project
    reference (a reference from the Project tab). This has the benefit that the
    web site and the class library are all coordinated in terms of which project
    configuration is used. That is, they can both be in Debug mode or both in
    Release mode, and VS.NET will get the right version.

    Otherwise, you can use a normal reference on the .NET tab by browsing to the
    location of the DLL.

    John Saunders

    P.S. You may find the following useful, even if you're not using SourceSafe
    for source control (or indeed, even if you're not using source control):

    Team Development with Visual Studio .NET and Visual SourceSafe
    (http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/dnbda/html/tdlg_rm.asp?frame=true)

    John Saunders, Dec 30, 2004

  3. Bob Garbados

    Bob Garbados Guest

    Thank you. I knew it would be simple. We are in the process of
    implementing SourceSafe and the link looks like it will be very helpful.

    Bob Garbados, Dec 30, 2004