    doing a lot of reports and charts pulling data out of database.

    Please let me know which way I should go. Also, what is the best code
    for someone to invest time learning for complex web building?
    jonny, Jul 17, 2007

  2. jonny

    Scott M. Guest

    VWD is for programming web applications using ASP.NET. Expression Web is
    less oriented to programming but is very standards oriented.

    Scott M., Jul 17, 2007

  3. jonny

    Brandon Gano Guest

    If you're planning on working with databases, you'll need more than
    Expression, which I believe is more for static web development and/or
    fleshing out html/css for use in web applications.

    You'll need to learn ASP.NET and work with Visual Web Developer Express.
    It's free, and it will be more than enough to get you started.

    Brandon Gano, Jul 17, 2007
  4. Go for VWD - from that to visual studio is a short step. Sounds to me like
    you'll end up doing more coding that cosmetics and VWD is better suited. No
    reason though not to learn both tools :)

    Regards

    John Timney (MVP)
    http://www.johntimney.com
    http://www.johntimney.com/blog

    John Timney \(MVP\), Jul 17, 2007
  5. In fact, a web application may be thought of as 2 different components, one
    the application process and data, and the other the user interface (HTML web
    pages). VWD is tailored for application development, while Expression Web is
    tailored for user interface design. I use both. And Visual Studio 2008 is
    slated to ship with Expression Web as the design interface for ASP.Net web
    applications. The first beta of Visual Studio 2008 is now available. You can
    download it fro free at
    http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/vstudio/aa700831.aspx.

    --
    HTH,

    Kevin Spencer
    Microsoft MVP

    Printing Components, Email Components,
    http://www.miradyne.net

    Kevin Spencer, Jul 17, 2007
  6. jonny

    jonny Guest

    On Jul 17, 5:44 am, "Kevin Spencer" <> wrote:
    > In fact, a web application may be thought of as 2 different components, one
    > the application process and data, and the other the user interface (HTML web
    > pages). VWD is tailored for application development, while Expression Web is
    > tailored for user interface design. I use both. And Visual Studio 2008 is
    > slated to ship with Expression Web as the design interface for ASP.Net web
    > applications. The first beta of Visual Studio 2008 is now available. You can
    > download it fro free athttp://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/vstudio/aa700831.aspx.
    >
    > --
    > HTH,
    >
    > Kevin Spencer
    > Microsoft MVP
    >
    > Printing Components, Email Components,
    > FTP Client Classes, Enhanced Data Controls, much more.
    > DSI PrintManager, Miradyne Component Libraries:http://www.miradyne.net
    >
    > "John Timney (MVP)" <> wrote in messagenews:...
    >

    > > Go for VWD - from that to visual studio is a short step. Sounds to me
    > > like you'll end up doing more coding that cosmetics and VWD is better
    > > suited. No reason though not to learn both tools :)

    > > --
    > > --
    > > Regards

    > > John Timney (MVP)
    > >http://www.johntimney.com
    > >http://www.johntimney.com/blog

    > > "jonny" <> wrote in message
    > >>I am new to web design and programming and was wonder which of these
    > >> two would be better to invest my time to learn.

    > >> Visual Web Developer 2005 vs. Microsoft Expression.

    > >> I would like to make very complex and neat looking web sites. I plan I
    > >> doing a lot of reports and charts pulling data out of database.

    > >> Please let me know which way I should go. Also, what is the best code
    > >> for someone to invest time learning for complex web building?- Hide quoted text -

    Thank you. Could you recommend a good Web Host Service that I can
    start with and supports ASP.NET?
    jonny, Jul 18, 2007
  7. I can't recommend one, no. But here's a directory on the Microsoft web site:
    http://www.microsoft.com/serviceproviders/directory/Default.aspx?PromotionID=5

    Kevin Spencer, Jul 18, 2007
  8. jonny

    Brett Guest

    Jonny,

    Hello, have you had much luck getting your website together? I found
    your post because I was asking the exact same question as to use the
    visual web developer or expression web. I have both of them downloaded
    on my computer and have had some fun trying to get to learn the web
    developing techologies and such that are out there.

    The visual studio express is very, very cool. The documentation seems
    very thorough and from what I've read and can tell you can build fully
    functional web pages, web applications and other applications using
    just the express edition.

    I have signed up for a cool website www.learnvisualstudio.net - there
    are some free videos on how to use expression and also like 500 videos
    about ASP.NET, C#, VB and a bunch of cool stuff related to the visual
    studio program. You have to pay a fee to see the other videos but I've
    enjoyed watching them and am trying to learn as much as I can.

    About hosting companies I found a cool website called www.webhostmagazine.com.
    They have tons of information on their site about how to choose a web
    hosting company. I've tried using yahoo web hosting in the past and it
    didn't really work for me. Yahoo has a site building tool that I tried
    to use and couldn't really get to work. So I stopped that service and
    started to search for other hosting companies.

    www.discountasp.net is probably the one I'm gonna use - they seem to
    support just about anything that I could come up with in my beginning
    stages as a web programmer and a friend of mine who has a webpage
    building company also said that they're good, so I'll probably go with
    them.

    Right now I'm working on getting the content together for my site,
    once it's about ready to go I guess I'll sign up for the hosting stuff
    and get my site published and running. So anyway, maybe that
    information helps, I'd love to hear more about your progress as it
    seems we in the same boat in trying to learn about web programming and
    such, so let me know via a reply to sender if you want.

    Good luck

    Brett, Jul 30, 2007
  9. jonny

    jonny Guest

    On Jul 30, 5:20 pm, Brett <> wrote:
> [...]

    > > > pages). VWD is tailored for application development, whileExpressionWebis
    > > > tailored for user interface design. I use both. And Visual Studio 2008 is
    > > > slated to ship withExpressionWebas the design interface for ASP.Netweb
    > > > applications. The first beta of Visual Studio 2008 is now available. You can
    > > > download it fro free athttp://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/vstudio/aa700831.aspx.

    > > > --
    > > > HTH,

    > > > Kevin Spencer
    > > > Microsoft MVP

    > > > Printing Components, Email Components,
    > > > FTP Client Classes, Enhanced Data Controls, much more.
    > > > DSI PrintManager, Miradyne Component Libraries:http://www.miradyne.net

    > > Thank you. Could you recommend a goodWebHost Service that I can
    > > start with and supports ASP.NET?- Hide quoted text -

    Thank you. I went with discountASP.net as a web host and working out
    well.
    jonny, Aug 2, 2007