Visual Web Developer Express Edition should be free

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by John Dalberg, Aug 31, 2004.

  1. John Dalberg

    John Dalberg Guest

    I don't know how much Microsoft is planning to price Visual Web Developer
    Express Edition. I heard rumors from free to $100.

    In my opinion I think it should make it free. The reason is to attract as
    many people to .NET and ASP.NET. This includes people who are in the Linux
    world using free IDE's like Eclipse and the people who are thinking of
    switching from Windows to Linux because Linux and Linux tools are free.
    Even if MS prices it at $50, it is still too much for teenagers who are
    going to be the future software engineers, developers and coders,... third
    world countries developers and the people who just don't want to pay a
    penny for any software (the if-it's software,
    it-should-be-downloadable-for-free folks).

    I would like to think of Visual Web Developer Express Edition as the next
    version of Web Matrix and *IS* supported by Microsoft. This way, MS can get
    tons of people interested in .NET. On top of that, make the package include
    SQL Server 2005 Express Edition for free too (I think it is already?).
    I don't think MS is too happy with the fact that .NET hasn't been embraced
    as it thought it would.

    MS doesn't need to make any money from these entry level packages. It
    didn't do it with IE. The long term benefits will be astounding.

    John Dalberg
    John Dalberg, Aug 31, 2004

  2. John Dalberg

    Hermit Dave Guest

    i think the express products will be free but thats again for MS to decide.
    Either way its aim towards enthusiasts and not developers.
    Most season developers would prefer visual studio.net

    SQL Server Express is just a new name for MSDE but it will have some UI
    tools as well. and MSDE has been free and so would SQL Express me (most
    probably)

    Well i dont know anybody using linux because of free dev tools... there are
    hardly any consider any programming platform. And .net has been embraced a
    lot if you ask me. Its a total change in strategy and it takes time. We even
    have partial framework implementation on Linux (www.go-mono.com) .Net is not
    about making money its making about making life for an average developer
    easy. Consider a poor sod supporting a win32 app... or even ms employees
    who build apps on top on apis.. the framework essentially shields them from
    api's in most cases.

    --

    Regards,

    Hermit Dave
    (http://hdave.blogspot.com)

    Hermit Dave, Aug 31, 2004

  3. I suspect it will be free, or at least dirt cheap.
    I'd be surprised if they charged as much as $100 for it, although they
    certainly wouldn't charge more.
    Of course all such decisions are ultimately up to Microsoft so I can't say
    for sure, I just know that their marketing department is not stupid.

    --
    I hope this helps,
    Steve C. Orr, MCSD, MVP

    Steve C. Orr [MVP, MCSD], Aug 31, 2004
  4. I personally do not care how they do it. Free is fine, but if there is a
    market, all the better. I do not think you will see .NET die if there is not
    a free product, so our jobs are safe. ;->

    Even at $100, I think there is a market for the product, especially when
    products like FrontPage are much pricier.

    --
    Gregory A. Beamer
    MVP; MCP: +I, SE, SD, DBA

    ***************************
    Think Outside the Box!
    ***************************

    =?Utf-8?B?Q293Ym95IChHcmVnb3J5IEEuIEJlYW1lcikgLSBN, Aug 31, 2004
  5. John Dalberg

    Peter Young Guest

    "John Dalberg" <> wrote in message news:...

    > I don't know how much Microsoft is planning to price Visual Web Developer
    > Express Edition. I heard rumors from free to $100.
    >
    > In my opinion I think it should make it free. The reason is to attract as
    > many people to .NET and ASP.NET. This includes people who are in the Linux
    > world using free IDE's like Eclipse

    Folks in the Linux camp aren't going to switch to asp.net because of a free dev tool. There are many reasons they prefer
    Linux that have nothing to do with the cost of MS tools.
    Peter Young, Aug 31, 2004
  6. John Dalberg

    Abdu Guest

    "Hermit Dave" <> wrote in message news:<>...
    > i think the express products will be free but thats again for MS to decide.
    > Either way its aim towards enthusiasts and not developers.
    > Most season developers would prefer visual studio.net

    Microsoft needs to get as many developers writing for .NET as it can.
    If this means giving the Express IDE's away, I think it would make a
    lot of sense.

    The developers use the professional tools like VS.NET, the enthusiasts
    can use the Express tools for free. Even a $5 tool is still a barrier
    for a teenager who doesn't have a credit card to buy such a tool
    online or is too lazy to ask his/he dad to pay for it and would rather
    instead switch to Linux and download everything they want for free.
    Microsoft needs to disuade these types by giving the entry level tools
    for free. IE captured most of the browser market because IE is free.
    It can do similary with IDEs and get developers develop for the
    Windows Platform. Once a ton of open source of .NET are out there,
    more people will use Windows and Microsoft can leverage on this base
    better.

    Abdu
    Abdu, Sep 13, 2004
  7. John Dalberg

    Abdu Guest

    "Peter Young" <> wrote in message news:<#>...
    > "John Dalberg" <> wrote in message news:...
    > >

    > > I don't know how much Microsoft is planning to price Visual Web Developer
    > > Express Edition. I heard rumors from free to $100.
    > >
    > > In my opinion I think it should make it free. The reason is to attract as
    > > many people to .NET and ASP.NET. This includes people who are in the Linux
    > > world using free IDE's like Eclipse

    > Folks in the Linux camp aren't going to switch to asp.net because of a free dev tool. There are many reasons they prefer
    > Linux that have nothing to do with the cost of MS tools.

    They don't have to switch to Windows. They can run Wine or whatever
    emulator is out there and play with .NET. There's always the people
    who switched to Linux because of cost and lack of free open source
    apps. Once we have lots of these apps, the defection for this reason
    can be hampered and people might defect back to Windows. Some people
    defect to Linux because of (perceived?) better security. Security in
    Windows has improved a lot and with XP SP2, it's been much better.
    There are Linux people out there who are still thinking of Windows 95
    securtiy. They should be comparing the latest everything from MS with
    the latest everything from Linux.

    Abdu
    Abdu, Sep 13, 2004