Visual Web Developer Express edition

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Stimp, Sep 25, 2006.

  1. Stimp

    Stimp Guest

    Has anyone here used Visual Web Developer for creating commercial
    asp.net applications?

    I'm curious if there's actually any difference between Visual Studio and
    Visual Web Developer in terms of the type of web applications you can
    build etc?

    Reading on the web only seems to bring up Microsoft documentation that
    states it's primarily for 'hobbyists' and not for professionals.

    So this has me a bit hesitant to start a major commercial application
    using it, instead of going out and purchasing Visual Studio.

    Is the 'hobbyist' thing just them trying to get you to buy a product you
    otherwise wouldn't need?

    (we don't use SourceSafe, so integration with SourceSafe isn't a
    requirement - one thing I understand Web Developer doesn't have)
    --

    fiddlewidawiddum

    Stimp, Sep 25, 2006

  2. re:
    > I'm curious if there's actually any difference between Visual Studio and
    > Visual Web Developer in terms of the type of web applications you can
    > build etc?

    There a product feature comparison here :

    http://msdn.microsoft.com/vstudio/products/compare/default.aspx

    Also, there's some differences listed here:
    http://www.ipona.com/samples/0321257278/corrections.aspx

    Juan T. Llibre, asp.net MVP
    asp.net faq : http://asp.net.do/faq/
    ===================================

    Juan T. Llibre, Sep 26, 2006

  3. Stimp

    Stimp Guest

    On Mon, 25 Sep 2006 Juan T. Llibre <> wrote:
    > re:
    >> I'm curious if there's actually any difference between Visual Studio and
    >> Visual Web Developer in terms of the type of web applications you can
    >> build etc?

    > There a product feature comparison here :
    >
    > http://msdn.microsoft.com/vstudio/products/compare/default.aspx
    >
    > Also, there's some differences listed here:
    > http://www.ipona.com/samples/0321257278/corrections.aspx

    thanks.

    So generally speaking, there are no limitations in using Visual Web
    Developer to create a powerful web application?

    The only limits are on how the development takes place, is that right?

    i.e. one could theoretically create ebay.com using Visual Web Developer?
    --

    fiddlewidawiddum

    Stimp, Sep 26, 2006
  4. re:
    > So generally speaking, there are no limitations in using Visual Web
    > Developer to create a powerful web application?

    Depending on how you define "a powerful web application", no limitations.

    re:
    > The only limits are on how the development takes place, is that right?

    A bit more than that but, esssentially, except for Mobile Device support,
    which VWD doesn't have, you're limited in that VWD doesn't support :

    Source Control
    Local database development only ( can't modify db's remotely from the IDE )
    No Class Designer
    No Object Test Bench
    No Crystal Reports ( you must use SQL Reporting Services )
    No remote debugging ( local only )
    No 64-bit Compiler Support
    No Server Explorer ( servers node )
    No Code profiling
    No Static analysis analysis
    No Unit testing
    No Code coverage
    No Project Management
    No Test case management
    No support for command-line Class Library ( must compile manually )
    No development for Office programs

    re:
    > i.e. one could theoretically create ebay.com using Visual Web Developer?

    Yes, although you'll have to work a little harder without the tools listed above.

    ;-)

    Juan T. Llibre, Sep 26, 2006
  5. Stimp

    Jon Paal Guest

    you aren't constrained to one tool. Real developers don't use Visual Studio for everything.

    ASP.net websites can be developed with any text editor.

    If one tool is missing a feature, finish the job with another tool.

    Jon Paal, Sep 28, 2006