Visualisation Engine for Python

rodmc

I am looking for a 2D data visualisation or graphics library for
Python. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Thanks in advance,

rod

Gerard Flanagan

rodmc said:
I am looking for a 2D data visualisation or graphics library for
Python. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Thanks in advance,

rod

I can't help with Python code but there are C++ programs here:

http://www-rocq1.inria.fr/gamma/cdrom/www/emc2/eng.htm

and here:

http://www-rocq1.inria.fr/gamma/cdrom/www/bamg/eng.htm

Institut National de Recherche en Informatique et en Automatique
(INRIA)

It's free for non-commercial use, permission from INRIA for commercial
use.

As I understand it, there are a number of programs (eg. SWIG, ctypes )
which allow you to call C++ from Python. I've never done that sort
of thing myself, but Lutz & Ascher (Learning Python, O'Reilly) say it's
"simple even for nonexperts" pp525, 2nd ed.

hth

Gerard

Ernst Noch

rodmc said:
I am looking for a 2D data visualisation or graphics library for
Python. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Thanks in advance,

rod

Maybe download and install the enthought python edition
from http://code.enthought.com/enthon/
Contains the following libraries which might be of interest
for you

# wxPython 2.6.1.0: wxWindows for Python
# PIL 1.1.4: Python Imaging Library
# VTK 4.4.2: 3D Visualization Toolkit
# MayaVi 1.3: 3D Data Visualization Tool
# Numeric 23.8: Numerical Python
# SciPy 0.3: Scientific Library for Python
# ScientificPython 2.4.5: A collection of Python modules for scientific
computing
# Chaco 0.2.0: Plotting toolkit for Python

At least it's an easy way to play around with the different
toolkits and see them in action, there are a lot of demos
included.

And then there are gnuplot bindings for python:
http://gnuplot-py.sourceforge.net/