Visualizing a wav file?

kaens

Hey everyone, I've done a good bit of google searching, and have found
quite a few different libraries available for sound processing.

I was wondering if anyone with more experience would like to say which
one(s) they would use for displaying the waveform of a .wav file in
real-time, or at least as the .wav is being played.

Or is this something that would be better handled by the GUI code?
Data from whatever's reading the sound, visualization by Tkinter or wx
or whatnot?

kaens

Perhaps you can use parts/routines of Audacity.
See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Audacity

Wim Vogelaar, http://home.wanadoo.nl/w.h.vogelaar/

I'm aware of audacity.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think Audacity is written in
Python, although I think someone wrote a way to script it a bit using
python.

While looking at their code might prove useful to me, I'm looking for
a way to implement this in python.

To provide a clearer (and audacity related) example, I'd like to be
able to show the waveform as it's playing - like if you zoomed in
decently far on a sample in audacity while playing it back. If I can
accomplish that, I think I can figure out most of the other stuff I'd
like to do on my own.

Just looking for some points in the right direction.

Diez B. Roggisch

kaens said:
I'm aware of audacity.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think Audacity is written in
Python, although I think someone wrote a way to script it a bit using
python.

While looking at their code might prove useful to me, I'm looking for
a way to implement this in python.

To provide a clearer (and audacity related) example, I'd like to be
able to show the waveform as it's playing - like if you zoomed in
decently far on a sample in audacity while playing it back. If I can
accomplish that, I think I can figure out most of the other stuff I'd
like to do on my own.

Just looking for some points in the right direction.

For the visualization, you'll need a GUI-toolkit. Google this group for a
plethora of discussions which are available and the respective
advantages/disadvantages.

The main problem will be the synchronization between the playing-process and
your display. I have no idea if there is any feedback from the sound system
that you can faciliate to compute the actual playing position.

diez