visualizing xsd

Manfred Lotz

Hi there,
Understanding the structure of an XML document by reading the
accompanying XSD file is possible but often (at least when the XSD is
not trivial) hard work.

Is there any tool available (open source would be great) which helps to
sort of visualize an XSD description so that it gives a good
idea how a typical XML file according to that XSD does look like?

Thanks.

Martin Honnen

Manfred said:
Understanding the structure of an XML document by reading the
accompanying XSD file is possible but often (at least when the XSD is
not trivial) hard work.

Is there any tool available (open source would be great) which helps to
sort of visualize an XSD description so that it gives a good
idea how a typical XML file according to that XSD does look like?

With the Microsoft .NET framework there is a tool that generates a
sample XML document from a set of XML schemas:

I wouldn't call that "visualizing" but you could generate your sample
and then display a tree view of it if you want to visualize the sample.

Manfred Lotz

With the Microsoft .NET framework there is a tool that generates a
sample XML document from a set of XML schemas:

I wouldn't call that "visualizing" but you could generate your sample
and then display a tree view of it if you want to visualize the
sample.

The Microsoft solution isn't directly usable by me because I do not
have Windows.

But the idea might be good, having a reasonable Document and then
displaying it in an XML editor.

Thanks.

Susanne Wunsch

Manfred Lotz said:
Yes, something like this could be quite nice. Unfortunately this is
Windows only and I'm a Linux user.

Eclipse offers a plugin with XML and XSD editors. XSD editor makes nice
graphical visualization of your XSD. It also generates XML from your
XSDs with various complexity (chosen by the user). You can further
validate your XML against the XSD using built-in Xerces.

But complicated XSDs don't really show the (sometimes simple) XML file
structure.

Eclipse is based on Java and runs on Linux, it is Open Source.

http://www.eclipse.org/modeling/mdt/?project=xsd

read you...
Susanne

Manfred Lotz

On Thu, 22 Apr 2010 10:30:11 +0200

Eclipse offers a plugin with XML and XSD editors. XSD editor makes
nice graphical visualization of your XSD. It also generates XML from
your XSDs with various complexity (chosen by the user). You can
further validate your XML against the XSD using built-in Xerces.

But complicated XSDs don't really show the (sometimes simple) XML file
structure.

Eclipse is based on Java and runs on Linux, it is Open Source.

http://www.eclipse.org/modeling/mdt/?project=xsd

read you...
Susanne

Thanks Susanne. I'll check that out.