    Thanks.

    --
    Manfred
    Manfred Lotz, Apr 19, 2010

  2. Manfred Lotz wrote:

    > Understanding the structure of an XML document by reading the
    > accompanying XSD file is possible but often (at least when the XSD is
    > not trivial) hard work.
    >
    > Is there any tool available (open source would be great) which helps to
    > sort of visualize an XSD description so that it gives a good
    > idea how a typical XML file according to that XSD does look like?

    With the Microsoft .NET framework there is a tool that generates a
    sample XML document from a set of XML schemas:

    I wouldn't call that "visualizing" but you could generate your sample
    and then display a tree view of it if you want to visualize the sample.

    --

    Martin Honnen
    http://msmvps.com/blogs/martin_honnen/
    Martin Honnen, Apr 19, 2010

  3. Manfred Lotz

    Manfred Lotz Guest

    On Mon, 19 Apr 2010 12:34:36 +0200
    Manuel Collado <> wrote:

    > Manfred Lotz escribió:
    > > Hi there,
    > > Understanding the structure of an XML document by reading the
    > > accompanying XSD file is possible but often (at least when the XSD
    > > is not trivial) hard work.
    > >
    > > Is there any tool available (open source would be great) which
    > > helps to sort of visualize an XSD description so that it gives a
    > > good idea how a typical XML file according to that XSD does look
    > > like?

    > Google for xsd+graphical+view. The second entry is
    >
    > http://www.liquid-technologies.com/Xml-Schema-Editor.aspx
    >
    > Is that what you want?

    Yes, something like this could be quite nice. Unfortunately this is
    Windows only and I'm a Linux user.

    --
    Thanks,
    Manfred
    Manfred Lotz, Apr 22, 2010
  4. Manfred Lotz

    Manfred Lotz Guest

    On Mon, 19 Apr 2010 12:22:27 +0200
    Martin Honnen <> wrote:

    > Manfred Lotz wrote:
    >
    > > Understanding the structure of an XML document by reading the
    > > accompanying XSD file is possible but often (at least when the XSD
    > > is not trivial) hard work.
    > >
    > > Is there any tool available (open source would be great) which
    > > helps to sort of visualize an XSD description so that it gives a
    > > good idea how a typical XML file according to that XSD does look
    > > like?

    > With the Microsoft .NET framework there is a tool that generates a
    > sample XML document from a set of XML schemas:
    > http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa302296.aspx
    >
    > I wouldn't call that "visualizing" but you could generate your sample
    > and then display a tree view of it if you want to visualize the
    > sample.

    The Microsoft solution isn't directly usable by me because I do not
    have Windows.

    But the idea might be good, having a reasonable Document and then
    displaying it in an XML editor.

    Thanks.

    --
    Manfred
    Manfred Lotz, Apr 22, 2010
  5. Manfred Lotz <> writes:

    > On Mon, 19 Apr 2010 12:34:36 +0200
    > Manuel Collado <> wrote:
    >
    >> Manfred Lotz escribió:
    >> > Hi there,
    >> > Understanding the structure of an XML document by reading the
    >> > accompanying XSD file is possible but often (at least when the XSD
    >> > is not trivial) hard work.
    >> >
    >> > Is there any tool available (open source would be great) which
    >> > helps to sort of visualize an XSD description so that it gives a
    >> > good idea how a typical XML file according to that XSD does look
    >> > like?

    >> Google for xsd+graphical+view. The second entry is
    >>
    >> http://www.liquid-technologies.com/Xml-Schema-Editor.aspx
    >>
    >> Is that what you want?

    > Yes, something like this could be quite nice. Unfortunately this is
    > Windows only and I'm a Linux user.

    Eclipse offers a plugin with XML and XSD editors. XSD editor makes nice
    graphical visualization of your XSD. It also generates XML from your
    XSDs with various complexity (chosen by the user). You can further
    validate your XML against the XSD using built-in Xerces.

    But complicated XSDs don't really show the (sometimes simple) XML file
    structure.

    Eclipse is based on Java and runs on Linux, it is Open Source.

    http://www.eclipse.org/modeling/mdt/?project=xsd

    read you...
    Susanne
    Susanne Wunsch, Apr 22, 2010
  6. Manfred Lotz

    Manfred Lotz Guest

    On Thu, 22 Apr 2010 10:30:11 +0200
    Susanne Wunsch <> wrote:

    > Eclipse offers a plugin with XML and XSD editors. XSD editor makes
    > nice graphical visualization of your XSD. It also generates XML from
    > your XSDs with various complexity (chosen by the user). You can
    > further validate your XML against the XSD using built-in Xerces.
    >
    > But complicated XSDs don't really show the (sometimes simple) XML file
    > structure.
    >
    > Eclipse is based on Java and runs on Linux, it is Open Source.
    >
    > http://www.eclipse.org/modeling/mdt/?project=xsd
    >
    > read you...
    > Susanne

    Thanks Susanne. I'll check that out.