VisualStudio 2003 question

Maziar Aflatoun

Hi everyone,

I'm relatively new to VisualStudio 2003 and have to create an application
that uses Web Services to authenticate a user. Once that user is
authenticated I use the Web services object and store it in a session to use
it in the following pages. However, every time I stop VisualStudio to
modify my code and start it again I have to start the whole process all over
again and it becomes really time consuming. Is there an easier way to modify
your code and compile it without having to start your application from the
beginning?

For ex.
1. Login page instantiates an object which can also be used to authenticate
my user (Store the object in Session)
2. The user get redirected to their particular section of the site (Grab it
from the session object)
3. Rest of the site grabs my object from the session
4. Stopping/Starting the VS causes me to start from the beginning of the
application and if I open another browser window it says my object reference
is null.

Can someone please help me with this? It's so frustrating.

Thank you
Maz

Kevin Spencer

Hi Maziar,

I'm afraid you're pretty much stuck. When you are debugging in Visual
Studio, and you run your app, you are re-compiling it. As Visual Studio is
not savvy enough to be able to parse and understand all your code, and
figure out somehow that in one particular case the app doesn't need to be
restarted, it always restarts it, "cleaning the slate" as it were for the
current debug run.

--
HTH,

Kevin Spencer