    I'd be very greatful if somebody can let me know.

    TIA,
    - Manish

    Manish Hatwalne, Jul 31, 2003

  2. Manish Hatwalne

    Alex Buell Guest

    On Thu, 31 Jul 2003, Manish Hatwalne wrote:

    > Does anyone know which JVM is supported for - Microsoft (R) VM for Java, 5.0
    > Release 5.0.0.3809 (IE 5.5 or 6)
    > I only have JDK 1.4 plugin on my machine so I am unable to detect it using -
    > System.getProperty("java.vm.version");
    > I'd be very greatful if somebody can let me know.

    import java.io.*;
    import java.util.*;
    /* import java.lang.System.*; */

    public class jvm_version
    {
    public static void main(String args[])
    {
    System.out.println("JVM:\n");

    System.out.println("Java version: " + System.getProperty("java.version"));
    System.out.println("Java vendor: " + System.getProperty("java.vendor"));
    System.out.print("Operating System: " + System.getProperty("os.name") + " ");
    System.out.println(System.getProperty("os.version") + " on " + System.getProperty("os.arch"));
    System.out.println("User: " + System.getProperty("user.name") + " in " + System.getProperty("user.dir"));
    http://www.munted.org.uk

    Telephone: A clever device by which two people in different places can
    mutually admire each other's total inability to say anything coherent

    Alex Buell, Jul 31, 2003

  3. Thanks alex, but this won't help!
    Like I said, I *only* have JDK 1.4 on my macine and the plugin IE uses on my
    machine is of 1.4, so VM I get is obviously 1.4, I want someone to compile
    applet code with JDK 1.2 or sth and try it on IE 5.5 or 6 with default
    microsoft VM (Microsoft (R) VM for Java, 5.0 Release 5.0.0.3809)
    Or if somebody already knows which Java version it supports, pls do post it
    here.

    Thanks,
    - Manish

    Manish Hatwalne, Jul 31, 2003
  4. On Thu, 31 Jul 2003 04:08:34 -0600, "Manish Hatwalne"
    <> wrote:

    > Thanks alex, but this won't help!
    > Like I said, I *only* have JDK 1.4 on my macine and the plugin IE uses on my
    > machine is of 1.4, so VM I get is obviously 1.4, I want someone to compile
    > applet code with JDK 1.2 or sth and try it on IE 5.5 or 6 with default
    > microsoft VM (Microsoft (R) VM for Java, 5.0 Release 5.0.0.3809)
    > Or if somebody already knows which Java version it supports, pls do post it
    > here.

    I believe all the Microsoft JVM's are 1.1.x, exactly which one
    is going to depend on IE version. On my XP box with IE version:

    6.00.2800.1106.xpsp2.030422-1633

    OK, I'm not kidding, seeing that version string is enough to
    make me puke. Man, I hate Microsoft sometimes.

    In any event, with this version of IE installed, I used jview
    (the MS JVM command line tool) to dump out the system properties
    and I get this:

    [D:\src\java] jview Prop | grep version
    java.version=1.1.4
    os.version=5.1
    java.class.version=45.3

    My Prop class simply does a:

    System.getProperties().list(System.out);

    to dump the props.

    Hope this helps.

    --Joe

    Joseph Millar, Jul 31, 2003
  5. On Thu, 31 Jul 2003 10:36:51 GMT, Joseph Millar <>
    wrote:
    > In any event, with this version of IE installed, I used jview
    > (the MS JVM command line tool) to dump out the system properties
    > and I get this:
    >
    > [D:\src\java] jview Prop | grep version
    > java.version=1.1.4
    > os.version=5.1
    > java.class.version=45.3

    Oh, and jview.exe has a version resource of 5.00.3810 if
    that matters to you.

    --Joe

    Joseph Millar, Jul 31, 2003
  6. I know about -
    System.getProperties().list(System.out);
    In fact this is what I use to see properties for stand alone programs but as
    you'd understand, it is not useful in my case.

    Thanks a ton for reminding me about jview, I had competely forgotten abt
    it.. That should solve my problem.

    Thanks,
    - Manish

    Manish Hatwalne, Jul 31, 2003