vmkr segmentation fault

Discussion in 'VHDL' started by alb, Jun 10, 2013.

  1. alb

    alb Guest

    Hi everyone,

    I'm trying to use vmkr to generate Makefiles to handle dependencies.
    I downloaded version 2.8 from here:

    > http://tams-www.informatik.uni-hamburg.de/vhdl/index.php?content=07-tools

    built it with gcc (instead of cc), got a bunch of warnings like these:

    > warning: incompatible implicit declaration of built-in function 'strlen'

    but managed to compile.
    At the moment of execution I run the program as suggested in the user
    manual (vmkr.doc.ps):

    vmkr -ts *.vhd > Makefile

    and got this as the output:

    > vmkr -ts *.vhd > Makefile
    > BNR vmkr version 2.8 (Nov 08/93 11:10)
    > Copyright (C) 1993 Bell-Northern Research.
    > Please email bugs/suggestions to
    >
    > The possible top level architectures are :
    >
    > The possible top level configurations are :
    > Segmentation fault

    As if it was not even capable to find the top level architecture. By the
    way, I have one unit only per file so there shouldn't be a problem on
    that end.

    Any insight would be helpful.
    Thanks a lot,

    Al

    p.s.: it seems like this software dates back in the 1993, which may
    explain the list of warnings. If anyone knows a more recent one that
    could be helpful.

    --
    A: Because it fouls the order in which people normally read text.
    Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
    alb, Jun 10, 2013

  2. alb wrote:

    > Hi everyone,
    >
    > I'm trying to use vmkr to generate Makefiles to handle dependencies.

    > p.s.: it seems like this software dates back in the 1993, which may
    > explain the list of warnings. If anyone knows a more recent one that
    > could be helpful.

    I would suggest using vmk: http://vmk.sourceforge.net/
    I have been using it for years.

    --