VML, SVG, FLASH or what? Need Web Charts Ideas

vunet.us

I would like to create web charts. My site is using AJAX, so I thought
of VML and SVG for chart graphics. But there is a browser compatibility
issue. Flash would be a good solution but I do not know ActionScript
(only basic animation). Any other ideas or links or feedbacking the 3
above technologies are so welcome...
Thank you.

VK

I would like to create web charts. My site is using AJAX, so I thought
of VML and SVG for chart graphics. But there is a browser compatibility
issue.

VML/SVG (SVL) covers Firefox 1.5>, IE5.5>, Opera8>, Netscape8>,
Camino1> That can be enough of coverage on not depending on your
particular demand.
Flash would be a good solution but I do not know ActionScript
(only basic animation).

If you know JavaScript, ActionScript-JS will be easy to recognize
because it's an ECMAScript outlet as well. (ActionScript-VB is very
rarely used by now and no one is forcing to use it anyway).
Any other ideas

A server-side image generating program (.bmp or .gif) with image.src
updated client-side. The oldest solution under the moon, but still in
use. That gives you full coverage for any javascript-enabled UA but you
have a server load impact.

vunet.us

Thank you. Your answer is very helpful. Because I use AJAX (JS + XML),
I see 2 solutions on top so far: VML/SVG or Flash. I research them to
see what is involved. Either way I will have to learn them. Your hint
about ActionScript-JS was extremely useful, I am looking into that now.

The question stays: out of these two solutions, what would be the best
one for AJAX app and why. It is just if you want to share with your
knowledge...
Thank you.

VK

Thank you. Your answer is very helpful. Because I use AJAX (JS + XML),
I see 2 solutions on top so far: VML/SVG or Flash.

For Flash programming it is still better to ask in more Flash-related
newsgroups.

For SVG/VML you may take a look at the library written by Lutz
Tautenhahn <http://www.lutanho.net/svgvml3d/index.html>
Unfortunately the SVG part is not optimized for the native browser
support (if presented) but uses Adobe SVG Viewer everywhere.
Still more than a year ago it became the inspiration idea for my SVL
(Superimposed Vector Language) library. It doesn't mean I used anything
from the code, but I fully realised the hidden graphics power of modern
UA's. I wanted to release a light version of SVL library as open
source, but there are some copyright protections I'd like to take care
first. ("Money first, community after" - kidding :)

Dojo <http://dojotoolkit.org/> also has a SVG/VML module but from my
humble experience the effectiveness and reliability of their modules
is regularly below my humble standards.