VoiceXML API ?

Farhang Farid

Hello

I just have a qucik question.

Is there a JAVA API for VoiceXML?

If there isnt, what is the best way to approach
the porblem of developing VoiceXML based applications?

Thanx

Farhang

Peter Davis

Is there a JAVA API for VoiceXML?

If there isnt, what is the best way to approach
the porblem of developing VoiceXML based applications?

VoiceXML is a markup language, just like HTML. So you develop VoiceXML
applications in VoiceXML.

Of course you can use Servlets or JSP to *output* VoiceXML, just like
you can with HTML (ie., you usually run your VoiceXML application on a
web server). But there's no standard Java API to use VoiceXML does
directly from Java -- somewhere along the line you're just outputting a
web page and then getting responses back with HTTP GET/POST requests.
Indeed, it seems like most VoiceXML applications are based in
server-side languages like JSP, PHP, ASP, Servlets, etc.

If you pay for a commercial VoiceXML engine from a company like Nuance,
you might get access to a Java back-end API -- but it wouldn't be
VoiceXML, per se.

You might look at the Java Speech API (JSAPI), but I don't know of any
free implementations. There's a JSAPI version 2 specification in
development (http://www.jcp.org/en/jsr/detail?id=113) but it doesn't
look like that's ready for public consumption yet either. (These
aren't VoiceXML at all but would let you use speech in your client-side
Java applications.)

And of course you can read some tutorial's on the VoiceXML vendors' websites:

http://cafe.bevocal.com/
http://developer.voicegenie.com/
http://studio.tellme.com/
(... and probably others)

HTH

Andrew

Peter Davis said:
You might look at the Java Speech API (JSAPI), but I don't know of any
free implementations.

There are several free (partial) implementations.

The better know ones are FreeTTS <http://freetts.sourceforge.net/>, if you're
interested in speech synthesis, and Sphinx
<http://cmusphinx.sourceforge.net/sphinx4/> if you're interested in
speech recognition.

Seeing as you're talking markup languages, take note that the JSML speech
markup language defined alongside JSAPI has been superseded by the W3C's
recently released SSML.

Cheers,
Andrew