    the porblem of developing VoiceXML based applications?

    Thanx

    Farhang
    Farhang Farid, Oct 4, 2004

  2. A quick search on Koders revealved the Enhydra project which manipulates
    VoiceXML.

    You can see the sample code here:
    http://www.koders.com/Default.aspx?s=voicexml&_:btn=Search&_:la=Java

    -Ankur

    Ankur Bulsara, Oct 5, 2004

  3. Farhang Farid

    Peter Davis Guest

    On 2004-10-04 09:18:23 -0700, (Farhang Farid) said:

    > Is there a JAVA API for VoiceXML?
    >
    > If there isnt, what is the best way to approach
    > the porblem of developing VoiceXML based applications?

    VoiceXML is a markup language, just like HTML. So you develop VoiceXML
    applications in VoiceXML.

    Of course you can use Servlets or JSP to *output* VoiceXML, just like
    you can with HTML (ie., you usually run your VoiceXML application on a
    web server). But there's no standard Java API to use VoiceXML does
    directly from Java -- somewhere along the line you're just outputting a
    web page and then getting responses back with HTTP GET/POST requests.
    Indeed, it seems like most VoiceXML applications are based in
    server-side languages like JSP, PHP, ASP, Servlets, etc.

    If you pay for a commercial VoiceXML engine from a company like Nuance,
    you might get access to a Java back-end API -- but it wouldn't be
    VoiceXML, per se.

    You might look at the Java Speech API (JSAPI), but I don't know of any
    free implementations. There's a JSAPI version 2 specification in
    development (http://www.jcp.org/en/jsr/detail?id=113) but it doesn't
    look like that's ready for public consumption yet either. (These
    aren't VoiceXML at all but would let you use speech in your client-side
    Java applications.)

    And of course you can read some tutorial's on the VoiceXML vendors' websites:

    http://cafe.bevocal.com/
    http://developer.voicegenie.com/
    http://studio.tellme.com/
    (... and probably others)

    HTH

    --
    Peter Davis <>
    "Furthermore, I believe bacon prevents hair loss!"
    Peter Davis, Oct 5, 2004
  4. Farhang Farid

    Andrew Guest

    Peter Davis <> writes:

    >You might look at the Java Speech API (JSAPI), but I don't know of any
    >free implementations.

    There are several free (partial) implementations.

    The better know ones are FreeTTS <http://freetts.sourceforge.net/>, if you're
    interested in speech synthesis, and Sphinx
    <http://cmusphinx.sourceforge.net/sphinx4/> if you're interested in
    speech recognition.

    Seeing as you're talking markup languages, take note that the JSML speech
    markup language defined alongside JSAPI has been superseded by the W3C's
    recently released SSML.

    Cheers,
    Andrew
    Andrew, Oct 6, 2004