volatile in C99

George

By trade, I'm a carpenter, and I've been implementing a greener heating
solution for the house I'm flipping including fans that are to be
controlled by an integrated circuit. I expect this solution to help the
house, help the planet, and put more green in my wallet.

It is in the programming for, say, a thermistor, that volatile comes into
play. I thought of doing the whole project in C, which, I thought, was the
best tool for this type of thing. I've now stumbled upon an opinion that
volatile in C99 is not a good thing, and now I have a couple questions.

q1) Is there anybody around with a serious criticism of volatile in C99?

q2) What changed about volatile between C90 and C99?

I have 1256.pdf on my machine now. Thanks for your comment.
--
George

The terrorists are fighting freedom with all their cunning and cruelty
because freedom is their greatest fear - and they should be afraid, because
freedom is on the march.
George W. Bush

Picture of the Day http://apod.nasa.gov/apod/

George

By trade, I'm a carpenter, and I've been implementing a greener heating
solution for the house I'm flipping including fans that are to be
controlled by an integrated circuit. I expect this solution to help the
house, help the planet, and put more green in my wallet.

It is in the programming for, say, a thermistor, that volatile comes into
play. I thought of doing the whole project in C, which, I thought, was the
best tool for this type of thing. I've now stumbled upon an opinion that
volatile in C99 is not a good thing, and now I have a couple questions.

q1) Is there anybody around with a serious criticism of volatile in C99?

q2) What changed about volatile between C90 and C99?

I have 1256.pdf on my machine now. Thanks for your comment.

%- >I've been looking at volatile from the C side, and I like the fortran
%- >model, as I understand it in Adams. This is clearly an issue where
fortran
%- >best follows C99.
%-
%- No, it isn't. Fortran VOLATILE is less disgustingly undefined than
%- C volatile, and following that is insane. The latter is currently
%- being touted for use in combination with parallelism (POSIX threads
%- etc.), and the combination simply doesn't work. If you are VERY
%- lucky, your implementation will have extra documentation that says
%- what it actually does, but I have never seen that.
%-
%- I put in a couple of "interpretation requests" on Fortran VOLATILE,
%- to which the standard's editor's response was to make a grimace.
%- They are FOUL. Please ask if you want me to post them.

Would anyone object to the custom quoted text?
--
George

The course of this conflict is not known, yet its outcome is certain.
Freedom and fear, justice and cruelty, have always been at war, and we know
that God is not neutral between them.
George W. Bush

Picture of the Day http://apod.nasa.gov/apod/

Kelsey Bjarnason

[snips]

%- I put in a couple of "interpretation requests" on Fortran VOLATILE,
%- to which the standard's editor's response was to make a grimace. %-
They are FOUL. Please ask if you want me to post them.

Would anyone object to the custom quoted text?

Probably anyone trying to generate any sort of stats on the group. Or
anyone whose newsreader recognizes the conventional '>' and colourizes,
hides, or otherwise modifies quoted text.

Some compelling reason not to stick with what works?

George

[snips]

%- I put in a couple of "interpretation requests" on Fortran VOLATILE,
%- to which the standard's editor's response was to make a grimace. %-
They are FOUL. Please ask if you want me to post them.

Would anyone object to the custom quoted text?

Probably anyone trying to generate any sort of stats on the group. Or
anyone whose newsreader recognizes the conventional '>' and colourizes,
hides, or otherwise modifies quoted text.

I don't know what mean.
Some compelling reason not to stick with what works?

What works?
--
George

I want to thank you for taking time out of your day to come and witness my
hanging.