Voluntary web design opportunities - improve your portfolio

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Nick, Dec 29, 2003.

  1. Nick

    Nick Guest

    Let me say from the outset that I am not offering any payment for the
    following work.

    I am the editor of a television news and reviews website. The site is
    currently based on critical reviews, previews and analysis of the
    television industry. Our contributors are all voluntary and I make no
    money from the website.

    We are now expanding into providing detailed static information about
    new series. The pages concerned are built almost entirely from
    publicity packages which include text and high-resolution publicity
    pictures. Typically these are released three to four weeks before
    transmission date. In order for them to be indexed by search engines
    we aim to have the static pages online one to two weeks before
    transmission.

    We are looking for web designers to turn the raw publicity pictures
    and subsite structure into an attractive layout for the index page, as
    well as 'furniture' graphics for menus, index pages, and so on.

    For each programme the end result is a sub-site with its own design,
    colour scheme and stylesheet - with a small number of graphics
    inherited from the main website to avoid confusion and provide a path
    back to the main index.

    I am a competent designer of 'practical' graphics and layouts - menus,
    headers, etc, but I do not have the design flair needed to do create
    these subsites as well as I wish. Hence this invitation.

    This would be an opportunity for any designers who wish to add to
    their portfolios, to do so. It also offers an chance to practice
    working with specifications and deadlines. I have done this sort of
    design work before and found it greatly beneficial.

    Our website is a UK website and concerns itself with the British
    television industry but as you will not be asked to write or edit
    copy, no knowledge of British television is necessary.

    If anyone is interested in receiving details of commissions as and
    when they crop up (at most once per week and you can reject/accept
    them as they come), please email me, with examples of your previous
    work if you have any.

    I have left the url of the website out of this post to avoid
    accusations of advertising, but I'm obviously happy to send it to
    interested individuals along with specifications and any further
    details you might need.

    My address is:

    Thanks.
    Nick, Dec 29, 2003

  2. Nick

    brucie Guest

    in post <news:>
    Nick said:

    > Let me say from the outset that I am not offering any payment for the
    > following work.

    of course not, that would mean web development would be like any other
    business.

    if anyone is interested in building a house for me for free let me know.

    --
    brucie
    29/December/2003 10:30:53 am kilo
    brucie, Dec 29, 2003

  3. Nick

    Nick Guest

    "brucie" <> wrote in message
    > in post <news:>
    > Nick said:
    >
    > > Let me say from the outset that I am not offering any payment for the
    > > following work.

    > of course not, that would mean web development would be like any other
    > business.
    >
    > if anyone is interested in building a house for me for free let me know.

    Content on the site I am referring to is entirely written by voluntary
    contributors because they enjoy doing it. They don't work for me, they work
    with me. I pay for the hosting out of my own pocket. Advertising covers
    basic hosting costs but if I want to increase my profile by running
    exclusive stories it costs me extra bandwidth.

    So I'm sorry that I can't pay anyone for their work. Maybe in the future.

    My point is this: I have made several appeals in the past for voluntary
    contributions to my website - in the past for editorial contributors and
    now, for the first time, for web designers. I have always received a
    pleasing response to these messages.

    But I have also had to put up with sarcastic, cynical, disheartening
    comments like yours. They are disheartening because they make me wonder how
    many more people might have responded to the message if the sarky riposte
    hadn't been posted.

    Maybe in a couple of years I'll be able to pay my journalists and critics
    and web designers but I can't right now. In the mean time, perhaps people
    like you could make life a little easier for those of us who are actually
    trying to innovate and add original content to the web by not stamping so
    hard on our attempts to grow and flourish.

    And before anyone jumps in and flames me, I'm not a newbie, I've posted here
    before under a different name and lurked for ages. I am aware of Brucie's
    humour and also his experience. He's helped me out a few times. But
    sometimes this is unhelpful and irritating and he should know better.

    Nick
    Nick, Dec 29, 2003
  4. Nick

    brucie Guest

    in post <news:bsnu85$ekpb2$-berlin.de>
    Nick said:

    > Maybe in a couple of years I'll be able to pay my journalists and critics
    > and web designers but I can't right now.

    i'm also looking for someone to fix some hail damage on my truck for
    free. the before and after photos will look great in a portfolio.

    --
    brucie
    29/December/2003 11:28:09 am kilo
    brucie, Dec 29, 2003
  5. Nick

    Nick Guest

    "brucie" <> wrote in message
    > in post <news:bsnu85$ekpb2$-berlin.de>
    > Nick said:
    >
    > > Maybe in a couple of years I'll be able to pay my journalists and

    critics
    > > and web designers but I can't right now.

    > i'm also looking for someone to fix some hail damage on my truck for
    > free. the before and after photos will look great in a portfolio.

    Well, yeah, Brucie, they probably would. Your point?

    Nick
    Nick, Dec 29, 2003
  6. Nick

    Mark Parnell Guest

    On Mon, 29 Dec 2003 01:43:42 -0000, Nick declared in alt.html:
    > "brucie" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> i'm also looking for someone to fix some hail damage on my truck for
    >> free. the before and after photos will look great in a portfolio.

    > Well, yeah, Brucie, they probably would. Your point?

    Exactly. From your original post:

    "This would be an opportunity for any designers who wish to add to
    their portfolios, to do so."

    Well, yeah, it probably would. Your point?

    --
    Mark Parnell
    http://www.clarkecomputers.com.au
    Mark Parnell, Dec 29, 2003
  7. Nick

    Duende Guest

    While sitting in a puddle Nick scribbled in the mud:

    > Let me say from the outset that I am not offering any payment for the
    > following work.
    >
    > I am the editor of a television news and reviews website.

    So let the rick television creatures pay for you website.

    --
    Duende
    The best defense against logic is ignorance.
    Duende, Dec 29, 2003
  8. "Nick" <> wrote in message
    > Let me say from the outset that I am not offering any payment for the
    > following work.

    Did anyone else stop reading at this point? :)
    Robert Linkhorn, Dec 29, 2003
  9. Mark Parnell wrote:

    > Exactly. From your original post:
    >
    > "This would be an opportunity for any designers who wish to add to
    > their portfolios, to do so."
    >
    > Well, yeah, it probably would. Your point?

    Did you miss that people are willing to create intellectual property for
    no monetory compensation? It's true, you know.
    JustAnotherGuy, Dec 29, 2003
  10. Nick

    Big Bill Guest

    On 28 Dec 2003 16:11:25 -0800, (Nick) wrote:

    >Let me say from the outset that I am not offering any payment for the
    >following work.
    >
    >I am the editor of a television news and reviews website. The site is
    >currently based on critical reviews, previews and analysis of the
    >television industry. Our contributors are all voluntary and I make no
    >money from the website.
    >
    >We are now expanding into providing detailed static information about
    >new series. The pages concerned are built almost entirely from
    >publicity packages which include text and high-resolution publicity
    >pictures.

    You'll need to have the resolutions lowered to, if I recall, 72 dpi.

    > Typically these are released three to four weeks before
    >transmission date. In order for them to be indexed by search engines
    >we aim to have the static pages online one to two weeks before
    >transmission.

    Er, you need to have them submitted to the engines at least some weeks
    before transmission if you wish them to be available by transmission
    date. You'll also need to spring for paid inclusion.

    >We are looking for web designers to turn the raw publicity pictures
    >and subsite structure into an attractive layout for the index page, as
    >well as 'furniture' graphics for menus, index pages, and so on.

    >For each programme the end result is a sub-site with its own design,
    >colour scheme and stylesheet - with a small number of graphics
    >inherited from the main website to avoid confusion and provide a path
    >back to the main index.

    >I am a competent designer of 'practical' graphics and layouts - menus,
    >headers, etc, but I do not have the design flair needed to do create
    >these subsites as well as I wish. Hence this invitation.
    >
    >This would be an opportunity for any designers who wish to add to
    >their portfolios, to do so.

    I should point out that there are plenty of paying opportunities to do
    just that.

    > It also offers an chance to practice
    >working with specifications and deadlines. I have done this sort of
    >design work before and found it greatly beneficial.
    >
    >Our website is a UK website and concerns itself with the British
    >television industry but as you will not be asked to write or edit
    >copy, no knowledge of British television is necessary.
    >
    >If anyone is interested in receiving details of commissions as and
    >when they crop up (at most once per week and you can reject/accept
    >them as they come), please email me, with examples of your previous
    >work if you have any.
    >
    >I have left the url of the website out of this post to avoid
    >accusations of advertising, but I'm obviously happy to send it to
    >interested individuals along with specifications and any further
    >details you might need.
    >
    >My address is:
    >
    >Thanks.

    People are going to be making money and benefitting from the
    publicity, right? why shouldn't the web designers share in that?

    BB
    Big Bill, Dec 29, 2003
  11. Nick

    R. Weisbloom Guest

    Seems like he can't even put in a legitimate address to respond to.
    Maybe I'll fix his house also.

    R. Weisbloom, Dec 29, 2003
  12. Nick

    Alan D-W Guest

    "Robert Linkhorn" <> wrote in message

    > "Nick" <> wrote in message
    > > Let me say from the outset that I am not offering any payment for the
    > > following work.

    > Did anyone else stop reading at this point? :)

    You mean there was more??
    Alan D-W, Dec 29, 2003
  13. "Nick" <> schreef in bericht
    > Let me say from the outset that I am not offering any payment for the
    > following work.

    No problem Nick, get me a decent BMW instead ( i prefer the 7 series) and
    i'll start the work for ya.

    Regards,
    Sam
    Samuël van Laere, Dec 29, 2003
  14. Nick

    Nick Guest

    "Samuël van Laere" <> wrote in message

    > "Nick" <> schreef in bericht
    > > Let me say from the outset that I am not offering any payment for the
    > > following work.

    > No problem Nick, get me a decent BMW instead ( i prefer the 7 series) and
    > i'll start the work for ya.

    Sounds like payment to me. The Inland Revenue would probably make me pay tax
    on it as a company car.
    Nick, Dec 29, 2003
  15. Nick

    Nick Guest

    "Big Bill" <> wrote in message
    > On 28 Dec 2003 16:11:25 -0800, (Nick) wrote:
    >
    > >We are now expanding into providing detailed static information about
    > >new series. The pages concerned are built almost entirely from
    > >publicity packages which include text and high-resolution publicity
    > >pictures.

    > You'll need to have the resolutions lowered to, if I recall, 72 dpi.

    PAPicSelect certainly demands 72 dpi.
    BBC Publicity Pictures forbid users from using their pics in the original
    'high resolution' format, but they make no specific metric specifications.
    Channel 4 don't mention this issue at all.

    In any case all images are reduced to 72dpi for the obvious bandwidth
    conservation and usability reasons. But graphic designers like to work with
    original high-res graphics.

    > > Typically these are released three to four weeks before
    > >transmission date. In order for them to be indexed by search engines
    > >we aim to have the static pages online one to two weeks before
    > >transmission.

    > Er, you need to have them submitted to the engines at least some weeks
    > before transmission if you wish them to be available by transmission
    > date. You'll also need to spring for paid inclusion.

    Well that may be the case for your websites but that's not been my
    experience. Google, at least, indexes my new pages fairly quickly -
    certainly within a couple of weeks of publication. In any case, with major
    TV series spanning weeks or even months, this isn't such an issue. It
    certainly gets them on within a month. In any case I'll be linking to the
    static pages on the main index page of the site. (nB this is not link
    spamming or whatever - we keep critical content separate from feature
    editorial and consequently need to link between them.) Google's impression
    of this page has rarely been more than a few days out of date. Could be a
    benefit of Florida, I'm not sure.

    > >This would be an opportunity for any designers who wish to add to
    > >their portfolios, to do so.

    > I should point out that there are plenty of paying opportunities to do
    > just that.

    Full employment in the IT sector? No need for work experience? Pull the
    other one.

    > People are going to be making money and benefitting from the
    > publicity, right? why shouldn't the web designers share in that?

    We do but not yet at a level where we can afford to pay staff. Like I've
    said, no-one gets paid for their contributions to this website including me.
    Advertising revenues go directly into hosting costs and where there is a
    shortfall I pay for it.

    FFS I'm not running an sweatshop with slaves writing content for me for free
    because I force them to. Clearly everyone else in the world is paid
    megabucks for their website, and always has been, and I'm the only
    enthusiastic unpaid amateur who reads this newsgroup. The concept seems
    entirely alien to alt.html.

    Nick
    Nick, Dec 29, 2003
  16. Nick

    Nick Guest

    "R. Weisbloom" <> wrote in message
    > Seems like he can't even put in a legitimate address to respond to.
    > Maybe I'll fix his house also.

    How do you know the email address is not legitimate? Did you try sending to
    an email to it? Did the email you sent bounce?

    Nick
    Nick, Dec 30, 2003
  17. Nick

    brucie Guest

    in post <news:bsqf7j$dk23$-berlin.de>
    Nick said:

    > How do you know the email address is not legitimate? Did you try sending to
    > an email to it? Did the email you sent bounce?

    it may have bounced back saying the address has "permanent fatal errors"
    which i just interpret as the server being too busy. happens with AOL a
    lot as well. usually on the 2nd - 3rd go the email gets through.

    --
    brucie
    30/December/2003 10:02:09 am kilo
    brucie, Dec 30, 2003
  18. Nick

    Nick Guest

    "brucie" <> wrote in message
    > in post <news:bsqf7j$dk23$-berlin.de>
    > Nick said:
    >
    > > How do you know the email address is not legitimate? Did you try sending

    > > an email to it? Did the email you sent bounce?

    > it may have bounced back saying the address has "permanent fatal errors"
    > which i just interpret as the server being too busy. happens with AOL a
    > lot as well. usually on the 2nd - 3rd go the email gets through.

    My suggestion is that he didn't even bother sending a test message because
    its a hotmail account. Scuse me for not wanting to pay for spam.

    Nick
    Nick, Dec 30, 2003
  19. Nick

    DU Guest

    Nick wrote:

    [snipped]

    >>People are going to be making money and benefitting from the
    >>publicity, right? why shouldn't the web designers share in that?

    > We do but not yet at a level where we can afford to pay staff. Like I've
    > said, no-one gets paid for their contributions to this website including me.
    > Advertising revenues go directly into hosting costs and where there is a
    > shortfall I pay for it.
    >
    > FFS I'm not running an sweatshop with slaves writing content for me for free
    > because I force them to. Clearly everyone else in the world is paid
    > megabucks for their website, and always has been, and I'm the only
    > enthusiastic unpaid amateur who reads this newsgroup. The concept seems
    > entirely alien to alt.html.
    >
    > Nick

    There is a general rule in this world which states you get paid to work
    for someone else. Equal pay for an equal work. This concept is entirely
    alien to your website/business. Now, I just don't care how much
    explaining you can do, how many promises you make, how many commitments
    you take, how much reading you do on internet/newsgroup, the point, the
    fact and the matter is that you do not pay people who work on your
    website. What's so difficult to understand here?
    Most of what you wrote is weak: empty promises, pious vows, miserable
    financial structure of your website, no full name, just an hotmail
    address, everything fizzles down to "Maybe in the future", "opportunity
    to add to their portfolios" and "they enjoy doing it".
    After posting 7 messages in this thread, you still can not even give the
    url of your site. And you expect people just to drop in and work for you
    for free. From which planet do you come? The planet of the apes?

    DU
    DU, Dec 30, 2003
  20. Nick

    Jay Guest

    "Nick" <> wrote in message
    > "Samuël van Laere" <> wrote in message
    > >
    > > "Nick" <> schreef in bericht
    > > > Let me say from the outset that I am not offering any payment for the
    > > > following work.

    > > No problem Nick, get me a decent BMW instead ( i prefer the 7 series)

    and
    > > i'll start the work for ya.

    > Sounds like payment to me. The Inland Revenue would probably make me pay

    tax
    > on it as a company car.

    Sounds like a barter agreement to me.

    - J