    all of the code done by volunteers will be issued under GPL and made
    available from emlvoting.org.

    , Jul 1, 2007

  2. ~kurt Guest

    Re:[OT] Volunteer -- Java/XML for Open Source Public Voting Project

    <> wrote:

    > Alan Dechert
    >
    > http://openvoting.org

    I'd be much more interested in seeing a move back to paper ballots.
    I don't see what was wrong with the scan cards many states used. They
    were pretty much foolproof (just because FL used a stupid system doesn't
    mean they were all bad). And the best part is you only needed one
    or two readers per voting area. This made things cheap. It also resulted
    in no lines at the polling places because use of the reader only required
    a few seconds.

    - Kurt

    ~kurt, Jul 1, 2007

  3. Roedy Green Guest

    Re: [OT] Volunteer -- Java/XML for Open Source Public Voting Project

    On Sun, 01 Jul 2007 16:46:00 GMT, ~kurt <>

    >I'd be much more interested in seeing a move back to paper ballots.

    That's how we do things in Canada. With our system them election is
    over in a few hours. I think the key is smaller polling stations.

    However, in the USA you also have votes on initiatives with multiple
    options. Further you may have neighbourhoods requiring ballots in a
    great many languages.

    So electronic, with paper trail, with all kinds of auditing and cross
    checks. 99% of the effort goes into blocking various forms of
    cheating, which can occur in the consolidation of results as well as
    at the individual ballot level.

    What is going on now is utterly outrageous -- no audit, not
    examination of the software, nothing to stop fiddling the software or
    the results -- all depends on trusting a company.

    Chuck Hagel, Republican politician ran one.
    One in run by Christian Identity people, religious fanatics dedicated
    to the destruction of democracy and replacing it with a Christian
    theocracy -- hardly people without an agenda.

    --
    Roedy Green Canadian Mind Products
    The Java Glossary

    Roedy Green, Jul 2, 2007
  4. ~kurt Guest

    Roedy Green <> wrote:

    > options. Further you may have neighbourhoods requiring ballots in a
    > great many languages.

    I'd really hope the only option for voting was in english....

    - Kurt

    ~kurt, Jul 2, 2007
  5. Re: [OT] Volunteer -- Java/XML for Open Source Public Voting Project

    Roedy Green wrote:
    > Chuck Hagel, Republican politician ran one.
    > One in run by Christian Identity people, religious fanatics dedicated
    > to the destruction of democracy and replacing it with a Christian
    > theocracy -- hardly people without an agenda.

    The so-called "Christian Identity" people have no connection with
    Christianity beyond an attempt to squat on Christianity's brand name
    while using it to sell outright neo-Nazism. (Historically, they spun off
    from the "British Israelite" cult.)

    Not that we don't also have would-be theocrats who adhere to various
    cults vaguely resembling Christianity. But the "Christian Identity"
    people are something much worse.

    --
    John W. Kennedy
    "I want everybody to be smart. As smart as they can be. A world of

    John W. Kennedy, Jul 2, 2007