[VOTE] Publicly flog David Filmer for writing multi-post flagging'bot

John Bokma

A. Sinan Unur said:
In as much as I like burning multi-posted threads along with extensive
cross-posting to more than 2 groups, I wasn't sure if David's bot in its
current incarnation was a good idea.

On the other hand, this attempt by yours to create separate VOTE threads
with an abusive subject line stinks.

My recommendation to David is to go back to the good old days of
pointing out in clpmisc questions that have been multi-posted, as he
becomes aware of them. There is no need to make prescriptive statments
such as "burn this thread". There is also no need to catch every single
multi-posted message. Those of us who care will promptly take action.
Those who don't care are not bothered by giant shouting messages and the
subsequent trolling.

second. Moreover, I suggest to use something along the lines of:

You shouldn't post the same message separately to several groups
(multiposting), see: http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/usenet/xpost.html

to explain what's wrong.

Most people who multipost have no idea what "Don't multipost" means :)

usenet

Mumia said:
VOTE:
Publicly flog David Filmer for writing multi-post flagging 'bot:

I've been having a profitable discussion with John Bokma (another
critic of this idea) in another thread (http://tinyurl.com/rdedx) where
various aspects of this have been hashed out. Before binding me to the
pillar, prehaps folks might consider some of the issues we've both
raised.

I have been quite surprized by some of the negative reaction to my bot.
I will freely admit that it can be improved upon, but I hadn't expected
many people to object (or really care very much).

I had intended to open a thread to discuss the matter (prehaps with a
somewhat less prejudicial subject line). I'm always open to suggestions
and constructive criticism (which John has furnished, but which has
been somewhat lacking in other complaints).

xhoster

Mumia W. said:
VOTE:

Publicly flog David Filmer for writing multi-post flagging 'bot:

I'd rather flog you for starting two new threads to "vote" on
the same thing that was already being adequately discussed in
existing threads.

Xho

usenet

Michele said:
BTW: I'll never really know when (if) it's disabled, since I already killfiled it.

Well, I'm probably gonna change the bot's handle to something kinder
and gentler, so you (and others) will need to killfile it again.
Sorry...

(the bot's handle is sort of a joke - a habitiual multiposter here once
accused me of being a "usenet cop" because I flagged his posts. I
thought that was an amusing label (there is, of course, no such thing
as a usenet cop - it's a community-moderated space, so we're all, in a
way, usenet cops, if we choose to encourage posting guidelines, which
many of us do. But I think that that humor is misplaced here)).

usenet

I have opened a new thread in CLPMisc to consolidate continued
discussion on the multipost bot: http://tinyurl.com/nkg7y

If you wish to reply regarding this topic, I respectfully ask that you
do so in the new thread (and quote context so folks can follow along).
Unless you just want to flog me :)^|)

Tintin

Mumia W. said:
VOTE:

Publicly flog David Filmer for writing multi-post flagging 'bot:

Yea

Naturally, I hope you have multi-posted this to a whole bunch of other
groups.

I vote a big NO! Multi-posting really pisses me off, so anything that
alerts to to a multi-posted message is a good idea.

Mumia W.

Naaah! David Filmer is a good contributor to the group. This is
orthogonal to the fact that I don't like his bot myself. BTW: I'll
never really know when (if) it's disabled, since I already killfiled
it.

Michele

Hey, I didn't say run him out of the group. :)

I agree he contributes a lot, but the 'bot was a really, bad,
bad idea.

Mumia W.

I've been having a profitable discussion with John Bokma (another
critic of this idea) in another thread (http://tinyurl.com/rdedx) where
various aspects of this have been hashed out. Before binding me to the
pillar, prehaps folks might consider some of the issues we've both
raised.

I have been quite surprized by some of the negative reaction to my bot.
I will freely admit that it can be improved upon, but I hadn't expected
many people to object (or really care very much).

I had intended to open a thread to discuss the matter (prehaps with a
somewhat less prejudicial subject line). I'm always open to suggestions
and constructive criticism (which John has furnished, but which has
been somewhat lacking in other complaints).

Okay, let's ax the flogging until the discussion is complete.
It does look like Bokma's avenue is going to be fruitful.

I don't give kudos to Bokma too often, but I do right now.
Thanks John Bokma.