    VOTE:

    Publicly flog David Filmer for writing multi-post flagging 'bot:

    Yea

    Mumia W., Aug 14, 2006

  2. Mumia W.

    John Bokma Guest

    Re: [VOTE] Publicly flog David Filmer for writing multi-post flagging 'bot

    "A. Sinan Unur" <> wrote:

    > "Mumia W." <> wrote in
    >
    >> VOTE:
    >>
    >> Publicly flog David Filmer for writing multi-post flagging 'bot:
    >>
    >> Yea

    > In as much as I like burning multi-posted threads along with extensive
    > cross-posting to more than 2 groups, I wasn't sure if David's bot in its
    > current incarnation was a good idea.
    >
    > On the other hand, this attempt by yours to create separate VOTE threads
    > with an abusive subject line stinks.
    >
    > My recommendation to David is to go back to the good old days of
    > pointing out in clpmisc questions that have been multi-posted, as he
    > becomes aware of them. There is no need to make prescriptive statments
    > such as "burn this thread". There is also no need to catch every single
    > multi-posted message. Those of us who care will promptly take action.
    > Those who don't care are not bothered by giant shouting messages and the
    > subsequent trolling.

    second. Moreover, I suggest to use something along the lines of:

    You shouldn't post the same message separately to several groups
    (multiposting), see: http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/usenet/xpost.html

    to explain what's wrong.

    Most people who multipost have no idea what "Don't multipost" means :)

    --
    John Bokma Freelance software developer
    &

    John Bokma, Aug 14, 2006

  3. Mumia W.

    Guest

    Re: Publicly flog David Filmer for writing multi-post flagging 'bot

    Mumia W. wrote:
    > VOTE:
    > Publicly flog David Filmer for writing multi-post flagging 'bot:

    I've been having a profitable discussion with John Bokma (another
    critic of this idea) in another thread (http://tinyurl.com/rdedx) where
    various aspects of this have been hashed out. Before binding me to the
    pillar, prehaps folks might consider some of the issues we've both
    raised.

    I have been quite surprized by some of the negative reaction to my bot.
    I will freely admit that it can be improved upon, but I hadn't expected
    many people to object (or really care very much).

    I had intended to open a thread to discuss the matter (prehaps with a
    somewhat less prejudicial subject line). I'm always open to suggestions
    and constructive criticism (which John has furnished, but which has
    been somewhat lacking in other complaints).

    --
    David Filmer (http://DavidFilmer.com)

    , Aug 14, 2006
  4. Mumia W.

    "Mumia W." <> wrote:
    > VOTE:
    >
    > Publicly flog David Filmer for writing multi-post flagging 'bot:

    I'd rather flog you for starting two new threads to "vote" on
    the same thing that was already being adequately discussed in
    existing threads.

    Xho

    Usenet Newsgroup Service $9.95/Month 30GB

    , Aug 14, 2006
  5. Mumia W.

    Michele Dondi wrote:
    > BTW: I'll never really know when (if) it's disabled, since I already killfiled it.

    Well, I'm probably gonna change the bot's handle to something kinder
    and gentler, so you (and others) will need to killfile it again.
    Sorry...

    (the bot's handle is sort of a joke - a habitiual multiposter here once
    accused me of being a "usenet cop" because I flagged his posts. I
    thought that was an amusing label (there is, of course, no such thing
    as a usenet cop - it's a community-moderated space, so we're all, in a
    way, usenet cops, if we choose to encourage posting guidelines, which
    many of us do. But I think that that humor is misplaced here)).

    --
    David Filmer (http://DavidFilmer.com)

    , Aug 14, 2006
  6. Mumia W.

    Michele Dondi <> wrote:

    > On Mon, 14 Aug 2006 18:19:47 GMT, "Mumia W."
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >>Publicly flog David Filmer for writing multi-post flagging 'bot:
    >>
    >>Yea

    > Naaah! David Filmer is a good contributor to the group. This is
    > orthogonal to the fact that I don't like his bot myself.

    Ditto.

    John Bokma, Aug 14, 2006
  7. Mumia W.

    Guest

    Re: Publicly flog David Filmer for writing multi-post flagging 'bot

    I have opened a new thread in CLPMisc to consolidate continued
    discussion on the multipost bot: http://tinyurl.com/nkg7y

    If you wish to reply regarding this topic, I respectfully ask that you
    do so in the new thread (and quote context so folks can follow along).
    Unless you just want to flog me :)^|)

    --
    David Filmer (http://DavidFilmer.com)

    , Aug 14, 2006
  8. Mumia W.

    Tintin Guest

    "Mumia W." <> wrote in message
    > VOTE:
    >
    > Publicly flog David Filmer for writing multi-post flagging 'bot:
    >
    > Yea

    Naturally, I hope you have multi-posted this to a whole bunch of other
    groups.

    I vote a big NO! Multi-posting really pisses me off, so anything that
    alerts to to a multi-posted message is a good idea.

    Tintin, Aug 14, 2006
  9. Mumia W.

    Mumia W. Guest

    On 08/14/2006 02:35 PM, Michele Dondi wrote:
    > On Mon, 14 Aug 2006 18:19:47 GMT, "Mumia W."
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> Publicly flog David Filmer for writing multi-post flagging 'bot:
    >>
    >> Yea

    > Naaah! David Filmer is a good contributor to the group. This is
    > orthogonal to the fact that I don't like his bot myself. BTW: I'll
    > never really know when (if) it's disabled, since I already killfiled
    > it.
    >

    > Michele

    Hey, I didn't say run him out of the group. :)

    I agree he contributes a lot, but the 'bot was a really, bad,
    bad idea.

    Mumia W., Aug 15, 2006
  10. Mumia W.

    On 08/14/2006 02:08 PM, wrote:
    > Mumia W. wrote:
    >> VOTE:
    >> Publicly flog David Filmer for writing multi-post flagging 'bot:

    > I've been having a profitable discussion with John Bokma (another
    > critic of this idea) in another thread (http://tinyurl.com/rdedx) where
    > various aspects of this have been hashed out. Before binding me to the
    > pillar, prehaps folks might consider some of the issues we've both
    > raised.
    >
    > I have been quite surprized by some of the negative reaction to my bot.
    > I will freely admit that it can be improved upon, but I hadn't expected
    > many people to object (or really care very much).
    >
    > I had intended to open a thread to discuss the matter (prehaps with a
    > somewhat less prejudicial subject line). I'm always open to suggestions
    > and constructive criticism (which John has furnished, but which has
    > been somewhat lacking in other complaints).

    Okay, let's ax the flogging until the discussion is complete.
    It does look like Bokma's avenue is going to be fruitful.

    I don't give kudos to Bokma too often, but I do right now.
    Thanks John Bokma.

    Mumia W., Aug 15, 2006
  11. Mumia W.

    John Bokma Guest

    "Mumia W." <> wrote:

    > I don't give kudos to Bokma too often, but I do right now.
    > Thanks John Bokma.

    You're welcome ;-)

    John Bokma, Aug 15, 2006
  12. Mumia W.

    John Bokma wrote:
    > "Mumia W." <> wrote:
    > > I don't give kudos to Bokma too often, but I do right now.
    > > Thanks John Bokma.

    > You're welcome ;-)

    Group hug!!!

    --
    David Filmer (http://DavidFilmer.com)

    , Aug 15, 2006
  13. Mumia W.

    John Bokma Guest

    wrote:

    > John Bokma wrote:
    >> "Mumia W." <> wrote:
    >> > I don't give kudos to Bokma too often, but I do right now.
    >> > Thanks John Bokma.

    >> You're welcome ;-)

    > Group hug!!!

    Aaaawwww :-D