VS 2003 and Vista

Mike P

Whenever I try to open a VS 2003 project on Vista I get the error :

'VS.NET cannot create or open the application because no web server at
the URL http://localhost/projname was detected'

How do I solve this? I have a feeling IIS may not be installed on my
machine, yet I have just installed the Ultimate upgrade on top of Home
Premium.

Mark Rae

Whenever I try to open a VS 2003 project on Vista I get the error :
How do I solve this?

Currently, Visual Studio.NET is not supported on Vista. The earliest version
which will *ever* be supported is Visual Studio.NET 2005 + SP1 + a patch
which is currently in testing. Earlier versions will never be supported:
http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/vstudio/aa948853.aspx

N.B. this doesn't necessarily mean that earlier versions won't run - you
might get some assistance from this:
http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/vstudio/bb188244.aspx - however you might
like to consider *why* Microsoft can't support earlier versions on Vista,
and then decide whether you really want to run it on that platform or not...

If you have sufficient hardware, by far the simplest workaround is to
download Virtual PC 2007 (it's free), create a WinXP Pro guest, and proceed
from there - subject to licensing, of course...

Guest

Make sure you install IIS. Jus because you upgraded does not mean it
"automatically got installed". Although MS *says* that VS.NET 2003 isn't
supported on Vista, it may still work OK, from reports I have read.
Peter

Mark Fitzpatrick

VS 2003 relies on the FrontPage Server Extensions to open web sites using
http. The FP Server Extensions are not supported with IIS 7 and Vista so
there is no facility to open a web through http.

Cowboy \(Gregory A. Beamer\)

Open up the Windows Options under Add/Remove programs. You will then have to
add IIS 6 support options, by drilling down into the web server options. You
may also have to reinstall .NET Framework 1.1 (do not think so, but it is
possible) and set up the sites to use 1.1.

You should also run VS.NET as admin.

Realize VS.NET is not supported, so you may have other issues.